Why am I not "allowed" to enjoy the system(s) I like here?

#1ao_bomberPosted 11/1/2013 12:02:39 PM
Honest question.

It seems like there's quite a few people around who just don't like others for preferring certain systems (not just the Wii U), even if said others are mature about it and not rubbing their preferences into others faces (among other things).

I don't really care what people prefer from consoles... not everyone likes the same things, and I'm glad for that as it would be a bit boring if everyone had the same interests, IMO.

And yet, there are people here who seem to be quite convinced that people who prefer things that goes against their own interests are just wasting money and should buy the product they support, and apparently deserve to be mocked for it if they don't for whatever reason. This is especially so if the system isn't meeting people's expectations.

Now, I can understand if these people also ragged on them back for not liking THEIR preferences (console wars, heh), but what about the people who don't?

Why is it a big deal with them?
---
ZYL5_
#2steerepikePosted 11/1/2013 12:10:40 PM
Ensuring that other people have fun that you approve of is apparently more important than having that fun for yourself.
---
))<>(( forever.
#3Prince ShondronaiPosted 11/1/2013 12:18:10 PM
Making other people feel bad about their choices is the only way some people can feel good about their own.
---
One of us. One of us. One of us.
#4ao_bomber(Topic Creator)Posted 11/1/2013 12:18:45 PM
steerepike posted...
Ensuring that other people have fun that you approve of is apparently more important than having that fun for yourself.

I actually hope this isn't true, as this would imply a larger issue about this entirely. One that would best be left be at that.
---
ZYL5_
#5PannerPosted 11/1/2013 12:26:08 PM
I don't care what people think of my choice of console (the WiiU), just like i don't care about theirs.
I do think its rather sad when people come on here, or any other board for that matter and try to stir up trouble just because they have nothing better to do.
---
Gamertag : Steel Hunter
NNID : SteelHunter PSN Firegor
#6userfrigginamePosted 11/1/2013 12:30:41 PM
Well... this is a msg board. You don't enjoy video games and systems here anyway. Video game enjoyment should come out of playing video games, not talking about them.
#7steerepikePosted 11/1/2013 12:33:44 PM
ao_bomber posted...
steerepike posted...

I actually hope this isn't true, as this would imply a larger issue about this entirely. One that would best be left be at that.

Would it settle your mind or agitate it if I told you that the vast majority of people doing it don't actually care one way or the next? They are just trying to irritate people. Sadly, in the extremely rare case where they are not trolling... I just can't see it any other way than I've described.
---
))<>(( forever.
#8icarus231Posted 11/1/2013 12:33:59 PM
ao_bomber posted...
steerepike posted...

Sadly it is true. However in the past few weeks it has gotten better. Must be the sony and ms fans realize their systems have issues too. People have forgotten that gaming is supposed to be about having fun.
---
NNID: Icarus231
PSN: Icarus_231
#9ao_bomber(Topic Creator)Posted 11/1/2013 12:43:58 PM
steerepike posted...
ao_bomber posted...
steerepike posted...

Would it settle your mind or agitate it if I told you that the vast majority of people doing it don't actually care one way or the next? They are just trying to irritate people. Sadly, in the extremely rare case where they are not trolling... I just can't see it any other way than I've described.

If they're truly trolling then I won't really give a rat's ass about it then. It's certainly not very good trolling (but then again, genuine trolling has become a lost art in recent years), but whatever, I will lose no sleep over it. Besides, the easiest and best way to slay trolls is to not even acknowledge their presence.

The problem is that, nowadays there's seems to be more and more people who are genuinely serious about their behavior online, forums or wherever. Sadly, these people are generally beyond reason. It could be my cynicism... but I dunno.
---
ZYL5_
#10Emerald_MeliosPosted 11/1/2013 1:26:45 PM
ao_bomber posted...
And yet, there are people here who seem to be quite convinced that people who prefer things that goes against their own interests are just wasting money and should buy the product they support, and apparently deserve to be mocked for it if they don't for whatever reason. This is especially so if the system isn't meeting people's expectations.

The curse of a consumerist culture. It is a religious obsession with spending money on the "right" luxury goods.