Considering Wii U - A Few Questions

#1CooperF4Posted 11/5/2013 1:45:46 AM
So the Mario & Luigi bundle has peaked my interest. I'm a lifelong Nintendo fan, but I didn't have much interest in the Wii U...at least I was planning on waiting until a price drop along with some games that interested me more.

Well the bundle with what amounts to two free games at a lower price point has certainly got me interested. With that being said, there are still some things I'm curious about. It's not a purchase for sure just yet, but I might as well ask some questions. Thanks!

First off the Virtual Console, which is a big deal to me. I've got around 40 some odd games on my Wii currently...how will that work? I'm assuming there is a transfer tool and that ALL of them will still work?

I've heard mention of a Wii mode for the console, but how does that affect Virtual Console games?

For those that have played Virtual Console games on the Wii U do they look okay?

What about the GamePad? Can I play all my virtual console games with it, and can I use TV mode to get them on the small screen?

I read through the early part of the FAQ, but if someone could provide me clarification I'd appreciate it. Thank you!
#2IokuaPosted 11/5/2013 1:48:28 AM
You can transfer all of them, however if you want them to work in conjunction with the gamepad you'll have to pay a small fee of $1-2. If you don't care about that, and honestly you shouldn't, then just transfer them over. Also, to actually have the option to pay that small fee the games have to have been released on the Wii U eShop, and the number of VC titles on that eShop is extremely small.
---
Welcome to gamefaqs, where poverty is an illegal activity.
#3CooperF4(Topic Creator)Posted 11/6/2013 1:34:08 AM
Okay...I thought I saw somewhere about the fee. I suppose if I end up getting a Wii U then it will just depend on the game. Some games I'd like to have all features for, but others it's not such a big deal. I suppose I could do it over time or something.

For those that have purchased the Wii U, what all do you like about it? What do you not like about it?

As much as I was planning to wait even longer than I already have, I'm curious as to whether or not now is the time to buy when it comes to this bundle thing. I really enjoy all Mario games, and logically speaking it seems like the bundle for me to get, but for some reason there is a nagging voice telling me I don't even need a Wii U to begin with. I'm pretty content with my 3DS, and until I finish my Master's degree, I just won't be playing console games that much...

Not sure why this is bothering me so much, but I figure I'll get as many opinions as I can. Perhaps that can help me find the right answer.
#4Neo_HeartlessPosted 11/6/2013 2:01:12 AM
CooperF4 posted...
Okay...I thought I saw somewhere about the fee. I suppose if I end up getting a Wii U then it will just depend on the game. Some games I'd like to have all features for, but others it's not such a big deal. I suppose I could do it over time or something.

For those that have purchased the Wii U, what all do you like about it? What do you not like about it?

As much as I was planning to wait even longer than I already have, I'm curious as to whether or not now is the time to buy when it comes to this bundle thing. I really enjoy all Mario games, and logically speaking it seems like the bundle for me to get, but for some reason there is a nagging voice telling me I don't even need a Wii U to begin with. I'm pretty content with my 3DS, and until I finish my Master's degree, I just won't be playing console games that much...

Not sure why this is bothering me so much, but I figure I'll get as many opinions as I can. Perhaps that can help me find the right answer.

To be honest if you're working on a masters degree I'd focus on that first.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my WiiU. When used well the Pad brings some nice touches to games and being able to switch the game screen to it is very handy. There's also a good amount of games now.

However they still need a little bit of work in the online department and their Virtual Console updates really slowly. Plus for the WiiU virtual console we're only seeing games we've already seen on the WiiU/3DS. They really need to step up and start porting more N64 or Gamecube games, but I get the feeling they're considering HD ports of more of the older games. Nice if you like that sort of thing I guess...
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]
#5cha_fan1Posted 11/6/2013 2:39:49 AM
As a fellow Masters student (Masters of Music Composition here), you won't end up with a lot of time for the console anyway. With Nintendo getting a grasp on digital sales and an inevitable price drop down the line, I'd focus on the degree and not worry about the system.
---
A musical sentence is a motive that is immediately developed upon then drives towards a PAC, IAC, or HC. The PC was likely unallowed due to counterpoint rules.
#6desert_santaPosted 11/6/2013 2:45:45 AM
CooperF4 posted...

I like the games, I like how they use the gamepad gameplay~wise(nothing amazing but it's fun) for some of the titles and the off tv play.

I dislike the gamepad battery life. So short I feel I might as well keep the charger plugged in sometimes.

I also worry about the availability of future multiplatform titles from 2015 onwards. However if the Wii U gets as many good exclusives as the wii had then I'll rest easy.
#7StarBladeEdgePosted 11/6/2013 2:47:46 AM
get a wiiu - leave the other garbage ( ps4 xbone ) in the stores
---
Boujng ! i always post drunk dr. boing is soulboy. don't touch my iPhat
#8TalentedMPosted 11/6/2013 2:58:06 AM
CooperF4 posted...
First off the Virtual Console, which is a big deal to me. I've got around 40 some odd games on my Wii currently...how will that work? I'm assuming there is a transfer tool and that ALL of them will still work?

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wiiu/en_na/system_system_transfer.jsp?menu=how_to&submenu=wup-transfer-ht-content

Yes they all still work. Pretty sure the only thing that wont transfer from the Wii VC is the game saves for the VC titles.

I've heard mention of a Wii mode for the console, but how does that affect Virtual Console games?

Wii VC must be played in Wii Mode. Your imported games are all found there as is the Wii shop and it is where you must go to play Wii titles as well.

For those that have played Virtual Console games on the Wii U do they look okay?

Perfectly fine.

What about the GamePad? Can I play all my virtual console games with it, and can I use TV mode to get them on the small screen?

Full off TV play only works with the Wii U versions of VC. You can't have full gamepad support with Wii VC. You can view it on the gamepad, but the buttons will not work and you will have to use a Wiimote/Classic to play them.

I love the Gamepad, a lot. It is comfortable to hold, the screen adds so much more to games in the way of convenience so far (maybe not all as innovative as W101). I also am a huge fan of Mario platformers, so there is always the games on the system for me that I KNOW that I will fully enjoy. It gives me the same feeling I had when I touched the DS for the first time, it wasn't being executed exactly with crazy innovations, but the potential was there.

What I dislike so far about it is the way they have their Miiverse set up. I love Miiverse, but all of the other things need to be more seemless, friends lists tied into it and making it more accessable in games would be nice. Also maybe adding a small achievement system or something for those who like it (not important really to me).

Also a lack of Wii U VC and releases being a bit slow would be another complaint. Again, not huge deals or deal breakers (for me) with Wii VC being there and a huge backlog of games, but to some it might be a bigger deal.

I have very few problems with the system and have fully enjoyed it for almost 8+ months now and I can see a great future for the system if they can just get their games out there and get some new titles in the work to really show off their ideas.
---
I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing
#9BongbuddyPosted 11/6/2013 3:21:45 AM
Don't do it. You're throwing your money away!
#10FishbulbPosted 11/6/2013 6:58:01 AM(edited)
You *can* play your VC games on the Gamepad, but it won't use the gamepad controls - use your Classic Controller. Basically, whenever you play a Wii VC game, it outputs to both the TV and Gamepad - you can look at either, or change the TV input to something else (or turn it off) and play looking at the pad.

The advantage to paying the fee ($1-$2) to upgrade is that you can play on the gamepad using it's controls + it adds a save state + it automatically saves where you are when you exit the game. Not all games have upgrades yet - they are rolling them out similar to the Wii VC roll out.

The games look great on Wii-U. The HDMI output really makes them crisp on a HDTV.

One additional major plus for the VC fan.... EARTHBOUND! is on the Wii U VC for $10.
---
Broadcasting your religious faith in a sig is obnoxious. All who agree copy/paste this sig.