Can wiiU do similar particle effects and lighting effects compared to ps4?

#1csalvi42Posted 11/5/2013 12:11:09 PM
Particularly lighting? I haven't seen any games that have really pushed the threshold of wiiUs power except for maybe Mario 3d world, and while I have no doubt wiiU cant push the polygons and graphical fidelity of the next gen competitors, I am interested if it can compete on some levels like certain effects.
---
Animal Crossing NL Dream: 5399-2276-5180
White Version FC: 0991-1102-7167
#2LvthnPosted 11/5/2013 12:15:17 PM
It can do particles and lighting.

Obviously nowhere near as well as a PS4, that should be self-evident.
#3GEKGanonPosted 11/5/2013 1:25:16 PM
Lighting in video games is a real messy business. Whether a console or PC can or can't run something largely depends on how well the game being played has been optimized. Of course, the more complex the lighting gets, the more difficult it is to optimize anything well enough.

Just look at pretty much anything running on any of Crytek's CryEngines. Their engines are so absurdly beyond what almost anything can handle, many of the features they show in their tech demos have to be completely gimped to run on anything.

Anyway, while the Wii U is certainly capable of much better lighting, shaders, particles, etc. than any other Nintendo console, I'm guessing the older hardware components would disallow it to come anywhere close to the PS4. Advanced lighting is just too taxing on the hardware.
---
Steam Name: gekganon
#4segagamerPosted 11/5/2013 1:28:33 PM
GEKGanon posted...
Lighting in video games is a real messy business. Whether a console or PC can or can't run something largely depends on how well the game being played has been optimized. Of course, the more complex the lighting gets, the more difficult it is to optimize anything well enough.

Just look at pretty much anything running on any of Crytek's CryEngines. Their engines are so absurdly beyond what almost anything can handle, many of the features they show in their tech demos have to be completely gimped to run on anything.

Anyway, while the Wii U is certainly capable of much better lighting, shaders, particles, etc. than any other Nintendo console, I'm guessing the older hardware components would disallow it to come anywhere close to the PS4. Advanced lighting is just too taxing on the hardware.

Fun Fact: the new CryEngine is Wii U supported.
---
Wii U+Xbox One :)
NNID: JZimino
#5Omega_BlackPosted 11/5/2013 1:30:43 PM
segagamer posted...
GEKGanon posted...

Now let's see if anyone cares to use it on Wii U... =/
---
Go where the games are...
Brawl FC: 2062 8812 4168
#6GEKGanonPosted 11/5/2013 1:31:51 PM
segagamer posted...
GEKGanon posted...

Yes, and I'm sure it is a hyper-gimped version. Crytek simply refuses to make something that can run at 100% without a supercomputer.
---
#7segagamerPosted 11/5/2013 1:34:00 PM
GEKGanon posted...
segagamer posted...
GEKGanon posted...

Yes, and I'm sure it is a hyper-gimped version. Crytek simply refuses to make something that can run at 100% without a supercomputer.

Regardless, it's still something. Current gen does not have it.
---
Wii U+Xbox One :)
NNID: JZimino
#8GEKGanonPosted 11/5/2013 1:35:14 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Steam Boxes are going to be the only things capable of actually running one of those damned engines without having to cut corners.
---
#9DarkZV2BetaPosted 11/5/2013 2:33:56 PM
Not a chance.
---
Even people have toenails. Of course PCs have toenails. -claytonbuckley
#10LordrvPosted 11/6/2013 2:10:11 AM
No, it can only do similar effects to xbox360/ ps3, because it's actually technically 8 year late last gen hardware, with a gimmicky ipad controller thrown in.