I like Iwata

#1csalvi42Posted 11/5/2013 5:12:26 PM
Unlike the hivemind of gamefaqs, he actually has the courage to think differently and not sacrifice his employees for short-term gain. I highly doubt ms or sony would follow the same loyalty under pressure. Cant wait for him to prove haters wrong. What is the adage, people perform best under pressure? I think Nintendo will release some ace games this generation and continue making deeper partnerships with Japanese studios like Namco. After all they've already developed two titles for the WiiU: Sports Club and Smash.
---
Animal Crossing NL Dream: 5399-2276-5180
White Version FC: 0991-1102-7167
#2GuyFawkes5Posted 11/5/2013 5:14:37 PM
csalvi42 posted...
Unlike the hivemind of gamefaqs, he actually has the courage to think differently and not sacrifice his employees for short-term gain. I highly doubt ms or sony would follow the same loyalty under pressure. Cant wait for him to prove haters wrong. What is the adage, people perform best under pressure? I think Nintendo will release some ace games this generation and continue making deeper partnerships with Japanese studios like Namco. After all they've already developed two titles for the WiiU: Sports Club and Smash.

this
---
Technology keeps advancing, but we as humans are dead.
#3VanderZooPosted 11/5/2013 5:15:21 PM
I think he's a very nice guy, but as I've always said, he doesn't understand the core gamer.
---
Are you a hater, or a defender?
#4csalvi42(Topic Creator)Posted 11/5/2013 5:17:09 PM
what is the core gamer? The one who wants these massive expansive playgrounds that shirk gameplay for some attempt at realism that suddenly looks outdated 3 years later? I think Iwata understands games just fine judging by the 3ds selling 5 million 2 years in a row, but he will have to come behind to turn wiiU around. I have faith.
---
#5NovaLevossidaPosted 11/5/2013 5:20:10 PM
I think he has a good heart, but he strikes me as the kind of leader that does a great job when things are going good, but he can't pull things together when they're not. Between his "please understand" phrase, his targeting of core gamers only to drop those in favor of family / casual audiences, his saying that they're not going to increase the advertising budget, and just in general how he seems to have no discernible strategy, it's hard to have much faith in anything that he says.
---
Rock, Paper, Snorlax.
Snorlax always wins.
#6SpookyryuPosted 11/5/2013 5:24:01 PM
Indeed, there are a lot of piranhas that want his head, but he will be ok
#7SychinLegacyPosted 11/5/2013 5:24:14 PM
VanderZoo posted...
I think he's a very nice guy, but as I've always said, he doesn't understand the core gamer.

Not catering to the "core gamer" is a good thing.
#8csalvi42(Topic Creator)Posted 11/5/2013 5:38:30 PM
well, in his defense Ill try to respond to those posts below.

1. Not changing budget for marketing. All financial matters are figured out prior to the year of operation, and I bet $1000 and ten ps4s that Nintendo has reserved the bulk of their advertising for the holiday of 2013. Yes they should of done a better job at spreading out the resources or perhaps hedged too much on momentum that halted shortly after launch, but they were also dealing with a killer slate of 3ds games that got heavy pushing on the marketing end, which has paid off.

2. The please understand phrase irks a lot of us westerners, but I think it is rooted in a culture of humility and genuineness that comes off as unappealing to those of us say living in the USA. Our CEOs are always either right or fired within months of their failings (although they somehow get a cushy severance package despite running companies to ground). This is not how business is practice or messages are delivered in Japan. When we watch Nintendo Direct streams most people will watch the Japanese ones because they are often the best content wise, but I think the tone and message is different if you watch it according to your home region.

3. Targeting casuals/family is dumb. I would say over half the videogame market consists of parents funding their childs 'addiction' in some way or another, and when parents control money that means it is smart to market to them. Until you hit 18 most people haven't been working jobs regularly (well I say this hesitantly because of socio-economic differences, but still you can only work so many hours while in school). So advertising a product that can be played around the house with familiar mascots and quality games that also encourage an active lifestyle unlike the ads next to me as I type that pair mountain dew with xbone, then I think that is a viable alternative. Wii fit U is an excellent app that is far better than anything else the competition offers, and it encourages a holistic lifestyle instead of vegging on the couch all day. That will appeal to families on a budget. So will the $300 price tag especially when compared to xbone

4) I would say his strategy thus far was "call it the year of luigi, but really make it the year of the 3ds to expand sales globally." That has worked and we haven't even hit xmas with all the potential with pokemon and animal crossing and new Zelda.

He has floundered on the WiiU, I agree. I think it would have been smarter to release it 6 months later then he did with pikmin 3 and w101 at launch, but the wii was dying at least from a game development standpoint and Nintendo was VERY late to the game with HD so they made a move. If I were Iwata I would have taken a bold decision and beefed up the WiiU cpu more than it currently stands and maybe sell for a marginal loss for 8 months, something they could easily handle with 3ds sales and previous gen success. That way it would have been a more enticing machine to develop for from a 3d party perspective since many of their engines run on cpu intensive machinery.
---
#9DarkAdonis123Posted 11/5/2013 5:48:50 PM
I like Iwata too, but I still think the company could benefit from him being replaced. Regardless of how much I may like him, it doesn't change that I'm not happy with their handling of the Wii U.
---
If Platinum was HAND drawn, she'd be on paper, fool. This is a video game. They just made her on screen, no "drawing" involved -Delano7 on BlazBlue
#10S_FoxPosted 11/5/2013 7:44:44 PM
I like him as well. People are just way too critical of everything though.
---
http://i.imgur.com/iSd1lDss.jpg http://i.imgur.com/t1Q2qsis.jpg http://i.imgur.com/EjV2mkcs.jpg http://i.imgur.com/8oQxgO0s.jpg