I Sonic Lost World good if I really like Sonic games?

#1spealfan444Posted 11/5/2013 6:29:16 PM
I really like all the Sonic games(except the bad ones). 2D, 3D, it doesn't matter.

I want to get Sonic Lost World, but I've been hearing some mixed feelings on it. If anyone has played it, can you tell me what you think?

Also, which version is better? The Wii U version or 3DS version?
---
These boards are a creature of Chaos, they may take many incarnations.
3DS FC:0387-8824-4692
#2The_Shadow_LinkPosted 11/5/2013 6:30:39 PM
Give it a try if you want to play it. Just be fore-warned that it's trying to masquerede as a New Super Mario Bros/Super Mario Galaxy game instead of a Sonic one.
---
Wanting to become a wolf to end all of my life's problems.
People who agree with me: 37, Comment about it if you agree. ~*Ancient Status*~
#3Exo_IcarusPosted 11/5/2013 6:34:28 PM(edited)
Pains me to say it but what IGN said in their review of it was pretty spot-on. Controls are awkward, little to no sense of speed, incredibly cringe-worthy plot/villains. Basically took all of the bad pages from the Mario Galaxy formula and made them the main focus of the game. Was really hoping the Wii U's first Sonic title was going to be something more like Colors/Generations.
#4GEKGanonPosted 11/5/2013 6:39:44 PM
Everyone cites the IGN review as an indicator that the game is bad and shouldn't be played, but that actually isn't at all what IGN said or how they rated it. They called it mediocre, which means you may enjoy the game, or you may not, because the overall experience is pretty "meh".
---
Steam Name: gekganon
#5NovaLevossidaPosted 11/5/2013 6:40:02 PM
Exo_Icarus posted...
Pains me to say it but what IGN said in their review of it was pretty spot-on. Controls are awkward, little to no sense of speed, incredibly cringe-worthy plot/villains. Basically took all of the bad pages from the Mario Galaxy formula and made them the main focus of the game. Was really hoping the Wii U's first Sonic title was going to be something more like Colors/Generations.

^ More or less that. It's not a terrible game or anything, but I'd rent it first. I really dislike the gamepad / motion control Wisps the most though. But it's a game I do plan on finishing.
---
Rock, Paper, Snorlax.
Snorlax always wins.
#6Motobug321Posted 11/5/2013 6:43:42 PM
I'm about as big a Sonic fan as you can get. I think it's a fantastic game, but definitely not without problems. For example, the color powers are poorly implemented and often feel much more forced in this game than they were in Sonic Colors, which is a bit disappointing. Luckily though, most of the power ups are optional, so you can skip them if you want.

Other than that though, I think the game is great. The controls take a little while to get used to, but once you do, they are very good. I disagree with Exo_Icarus, the game has a very good sense of speed if you know how to use the spin dash properly. The plot is fine and the cutscenes are amusing, but yeah the villians themselves are kinda stupid.

Overall though, I think the game is an excellent platformer and while it definitely has some problems, I think it is definitely worth picking up
#7rexcrkPosted 11/6/2013 8:09:53 PM
I'm a huge Sonic fan, and I can be a bit "forgiving" when it comes to Sonic games (let me put it this way: I legitimately enjoy Heroes and Shadow and the only thing I truly disliked about '06 were the ridiculous loading times)... but I'm not really enjoying Lost World as much as I hoped I would.

Unleashed was a good step in the right direction (the well-designed levels like Windmill Isle and Rooftop Run are some of my favorite Sonic levels ever) and I thought Colors and Generations were amazing, but Lost World seems like a step back :| it just feels clunky and gimmicky to me. I hope they get it together for the next Sonic game and make it amazing.
---
But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what.
#8R_HunterPosted 11/6/2013 8:19:01 PM
It appears to be a "love it or hate it game."

I would recommend giving it a try before you buy it.
---
To be fair, the overall plot of the MGS series sounds like it was written by a 7 year old on amphetamines.-CrystalKing5426
Official Xion of the KHIII Board
#9GamersTavernPosted 11/6/2013 8:39:47 PM
I thought it was fantastic, but most people don't seem to agree with me.
---
Main Site: http://www.gamers-tavern.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/GamersTavernShow
#10Halladay32Posted 11/6/2013 8:55:58 PM(edited)
I haven't completed the game yet, but I'd say it's enjoyable for the most part...until you run into levels with ridiculously frustrating elements that you just can't help but question why they were ever added in the first place. And the ice physics -- I LOATHE the ice physics in this game, they are horrendous. Definitely the worst part of the game, in my opinion. And just when I completed the ice zone and thought I'd be done with them forever, no! There's a level in the next zone with ice as well! There aren't enough swear words in the world to describe my rage when I encountered that.

Anyway, ranting aside, it's an okay game, but can get very frustrating at times and overall feels like a missed and occasionally poorly executed opportunity.

Also, in regards to the plot, I think it's entertaining enough. The Deadly Six are pretty mediocre villains, but Eggman's portrayal is pretty cool -- there was one scene in particular where I was a bit surprised at how violent and evil they made Eggman seem. He's definitely less goofy this time around.
---
"High! The girl...She's really high up in this picture!"