The GamePad Screen

#1tuna-eggPosted 11/5/2013 5:54:56 PM
Just got my Wii U bundle last week and I'm enjoying it a lot, except for one thing that bugs me.

What kind of screen does Nintendo use for the gamepad? It looks terrible. I didn't even realize screens with sub-par resolution were still being manufactured in this day and age :(

I want to enjoy off-TV play but the screen quality bugs me. (Yeah I'm sensitive to screens which is why I chose the original 3DS over a 3DS XL due to the blown up pixels).
#2NovaLevossidaPosted 11/5/2013 6:02:34 PM
It actually looks better than the TV in a lot of cases. The visuals on the gamepad look great, but the same image on the TV often has jagged lines, one recent example I've found being Sonic Lost World in the cutscenes (in which outlines like around Sonic's face are jagged on the TV but not the gamepad).
---
Rock, Paper, Snorlax.
Snorlax always wins.
#3REAL_kielbasaPosted 11/5/2013 6:06:00 PM
It's 854x480 which is way more than enough for a 6 inch screen.

People are spoiled nowadays after iPad and Galaxy S3.
---
Ponies GTFO
#4b1gt0nePosted 11/5/2013 6:06:49 PM
my screen(s) look fine, even sharper than tv in most cases
#5deathgod_lightPosted 11/5/2013 6:07:07 PM
REAL_kielbasa posted...
It's 854x480 which is way more than enough for a 6 inch screen.

People are spoiled nowadays after iPad and Galaxy S3.

lol?
---
http://myscriptx.com/dl/1917/potato-girl.gif
http://i.imgur.com/hh5apRK.jpg
#6DisgaeaNutPosted 11/5/2013 6:07:46 PM
NovaLevossida posted...
It actually looks better than the TV in a lot of cases. The visuals on the gamepad look great, but the same image on the TV often has jagged lines, one recent example I've found being Sonic Lost World in the cutscenes (in which outlines like around Sonic's face are jagged on the TV but not the gamepad).

Must have an awesome TV.
#7tuna-egg(Topic Creator)Posted 11/5/2013 6:19:02 PM
NovaLevossida posted...

Don't you notice the scanlines? The very same things that bug me about the 3DS.
#8NovaLevossidaPosted 11/5/2013 6:30:08 PM
tuna-egg posted...
NovaLevossida posted...

Don't you notice the scanlines? The very same things that bug me about the 3DS.

I haven't noticed them, but I haven't went looking for them either. The only thing I really play a lot on the 3DS is Theatrhythm and half my hand and stylus is blocking the screen anyway.
---
Rock, Paper, Snorlax.
Snorlax always wins.
#9dbzkenPosted 11/5/2013 10:21:03 PM
Gamepad is a lot less colorful. They cut the color in half to lessen the data transferred from the wii u to the gamepad. Otherwise off-tv is technically impossible at this time. It may also have a warm color.
#10StevenTheGamblePosted 11/5/2013 11:08:32 PM
Is tc serious? I have an iPad 4 I bought to game that I'm selling to pay for my wii u and games. I personally am flabbergasted at the graphics and LOVE playing off screen wind waker cuz it still captures the hd so well.
However I will concede in saying it feels wrong to play on the game pad. It's a great piece of hardware with good grip and feels great in your hand, but I feel I'm not experiencing true HD without using my huge tv.

Oh and don't even get me started on the sound!
You need that hd sound baby