Do you care about points in a Mario game?

#1wiiking96Posted 11/6/2013 4:07:01 AM
*topic title* - Results (151 votes)
I didn't even remember they existed till you mentioned them now.
11.92% (18 votes)
I barely even notice them at all, so no.
28.48% (43 votes)
I notice them, but I sure as heck don't care about them.
28.48% (43 votes)
I care about them for the first level or two, but not at all for most of the game.
0% (0 votes)
I do a little bit, but not enough that I would be bothered if they were removed.
5.3% (8 votes)
I do a little bit, and I would prefer it if they were kept.
13.91% (21 votes)
I do a fair amount.
1.99% (3 votes)
I like them a lot.
5.3% (8 votes)
I actually hate them.
1.32% (2 votes)
Other opinion
3.31% (5 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Super Mario 3D World has the points system of the 2D games.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#2Shadowbird_RHPosted 11/6/2013 4:26:17 AM
I care about them about as much as a stereotypical Nintendo fan does achievements. They're pretty much meaningless unless they can be used to unlock stuff.
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR
#3wiiking96(Topic Creator)Posted 11/6/2013 6:58:31 AM
Hmm, I suppose it makes sense that people would want them kept. They don't make the game any worse, after all.
---
#4wiiking96(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2013 1:06:50 PM
bump
---
#5GloryChaosPosted 11/10/2013 1:14:43 PM
I never really have. Mario isn't an arcade game and you don't really get any sort of reward for getting a high score. New Super Mario Bros. 2 was the first game where I started to care, due to being able to compare your score to others with coin rush. But coin rush was randomized, botching that part of the experience.

I would care a lot more if there were online leaderboards. But I suppose you have an idea for how to utilize points in a different way, considering the fact that you made this topic. What do you have in mind?
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png
#6Swan3624Posted 11/10/2013 1:23:10 PM
It's a manner of demonstrating your gaming ability that sticks around from a bygone arcade gaming era. The points don't matter to me at all, much like the lives. It's apparent Nintendo doesn't really see a need for lives and points lately except in the sense that it's just tradition.

And it's a tradition that I enjoy. I can't think of any old-school Mario game without the points and lives systems. I hope it stays this way for a while :D
---
Currently playing: Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure - Let's Play on my YouTube! :D
My Gaming YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MasterChief3624
#7wiiking96(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2013 1:30:34 PM(edited)
GloryChaos posted...
I never really have. Mario isn't an arcade game and you don't really get any sort of reward for getting a high score. New Super Mario Bros. 2 was the first game where I started to care, due to being able to compare your score to others with coin rush. But coin rush was randomized, botching that part of the experience.

I would care a lot more if there were online leaderboards. But I suppose you have an idea for how to utilize points in a different way, considering the fact that you made this topic. What do you have in mind?

Ohohohohohoho. *rubs palms in anticipation*. Indeed I do.

If points are to stay, then players should be rewarded for getting enough points in a level, along with a rank.

- Getting a "Goomba Rank" nets you no reward.
- Getting a "Shell Rank" nets you a change in the appearance of the map screen surrounding the level.
- Getting a "Hammer Rank" adds the level to an optional museum mode which lets you listen to the music from the stage and look at a full view of the stage at once. EDIT: You also get to view your previous playthroughs of the stage from various camera angles, from a standard view to looking down at like a diorama.
- Getting "Plumber Rank" nets you an optional harder version of the level where every moving object moves in double time.
---
#8EasterEggHunterPosted 11/10/2013 1:34:50 PM
wiiking96 posted...
GloryChaos posted...

Ohohohohohoho. *rubs palms in anticipation*. Indeed I do.

If points are to stay, then players should be rewarded for getting enough points in a level, along with a rank.

- Getting a "Goomba Rank" nets you no reward.
- Getting a "Shell Rank" nets you a change in the appearance of the map screen surrounding the level.
- Getting a "Hammer Rank" adds the level to an optional museum mode which lets you listen to the music from the stage and look at a full view of the stage at once. EDIT: You also get to view your previous playthroughs of the stage from various camera angles, from a standard view to looking down at like a diorama.
- Getting "Plumber Rank" nets you an optional harder version of the level where every moving object moves in double time.

That sounds pretty good. Maybe if you achieve a certain number you unlock a mirror mode and new and harder enemies.

I think they at least tried to make points more important in 3d world with that crown or point meter.
#9CubeTVPosted 11/10/2013 2:00:29 PM(edited)
Other.

I care a lot actually and it was one of the main reasons I couldn't play 3D Land. It (3D Land) was basing itself off the 2D games.. But where's the score system? Even made it not enjoy the game at all since I felt like there was no point in killing the enemies unlike past 3D Marios where killing enemies got you coins, which could then get you a star if you got 100 coins and health which wasn't based on coins in 3D Land either (which was a nice touch to the 2D games). Having removed points in a "grab X to continue your adventure" Mario game (64, Sunshine) is fine, but removing them in a "point A to point B" Mario game (3D Land) is not fun. It's like if you removed experience points in Paper Mario.

In 3D World, sure there's no "main star" from 100 coins anymore, but at least you get something for killing them. The best part about this score system in 3D World is that it's finally taking a page out of Sonic's book and having individual level scores which is something I've been wanting since New Super Mario Bros. 2.

So yea, points matter a lot to me. I couldn't enjoy 3D Land at all to where I didn't even like playing the game because of the lack of a score system. So glad there's one in 3D World!
---
YouTube: www.Youtube.com/AdNintendogs
#10ADHDguitarPosted 11/10/2013 1:56:23 PM
There's no reason for points to still exist.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, and are tan(1.560796660108231381024981575)% proud of it, put this in your signature.