IGN found an infinite life cheat in Mario 3D World.. says "you'll need them"

#61R_HunterPosted 11/8/2013 11:14:44 AM
LaManoNeraII posted...
R_Hunter posted...
LaManoNeraII posted...
All of IGN's videos have been multiplayer so maybe that's what they've been basing their experience on.

I mean, if you're Toad you probably will need a lot of live. Because no one likes Toad

I do. Being the fastest, speedruns become a cinch with him.

But you're going to be thrown down every crevasse and at every enemy in the game in multiplayer because no one likes Toad >.>

Foo's need to catch me first. ;)
---
To be fair, the overall plot of the MGS series sounds like it was written by a 7 year old on amphetamines.-CrystalKing5426
Official Xion of the KHIII Board
#62nonexistingheroPosted 11/8/2013 11:17:04 AM
Terotrous posted...
nonexistinghero posted...
SMG1 and 2 are widely recognized as the best platformers ever made. Which makes your argument moot.

No they aren't. Only by "professional reviewers", and we know how totally incompetent they are. It is, at best, an uncommon opinion among regular gamers.

Uncommon opinion among regular gamers? Most of the ones that don't consider the SMG games to be the best platformers ever, consider a different Mario game to be the best platformer ever. Not Rayman, not Super Meat Boy and not 'Splosion Man. Just shows you don't know s***.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#63trenkenPosted 11/8/2013 11:21:06 AM
Since when was this needed in any Mario game? All of them are made for 10 year olds, especially the recent ones. Im pretty damn sure I will blaze through this game with ease.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#64trenkenPosted 11/8/2013 11:23:28 AM
Terotrous posted...
SMG1 and 2 are widely recognized as the best platformers ever made. Which makes your argument moot.

No they aren't. Only by "professional reviewers", and we know how totally incompetent they are. It is, at best, an uncommon opinion among regular gamers.

Uncommon opinion among regular gamers? Most of the ones that don't consider the SMG games to be the best platformers ever, consider a different Mario game to be the best platformer ever. Not Rayman, not Super Meat Boy and not 'Splosion Man. Just shows you don't know s***.

Huh? Did you ever own an NES? There is a crap ton of amazing platformers. Just by the examples you brought up, tells me youre not old enough to know about the golden age of platformers.

And anyone that says those braindead easy GalaZy games are the best platformers ever must be pretty young. Battletoads alone takes a dump on those galaxy games who were made for 10 year olds. I prefer my platformers with some hair on their balls not that pansy crap.
---
PS3 | CygnusZero
#65trenkenPosted 11/8/2013 11:24:05 AM
And for my money NG1-3 are the very best platformers ever made. Just gaming platforming perfection.
---
PS3 | CygnusZero
#66TerotrousPosted 11/8/2013 11:28:44 AM(edited)
Most of the ones that don't consider the SMG games to be the best platformers ever, consider a different Mario game to be the best platformer ever. Not Rayman, not Super Meat Boy and not 'Splosion Man. Just shows you don't know s***.

Lol. Do you know who you're talking to?

There are lots of other opinions on what the best platformer is. As you noted, other Mario games are very common choices. SMG certainly isn't the consensus choice for best Mario game, SMB3 is a very common choice, perhaps moreso than Galaxy, and World has its own share of fans as well. DKC2 remains a really common choice as well as far as Nintendo games are concerned.

From other companies, there's also a lot of love for Sonic 2 / 3&K, Megaman 2 / 3 / X, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Banjo-Kazooie, Jak 1 and 2, Sly 1, and yes, even Rayman Origins and Legends. And there's dozens of others that have small but dedicated cult fanbases.

The notion that everyone out there considers Galaxy to be at the top is just jokey. There's never anywhere near that degree of consensus among gamers.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Rampart"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#67VyersPosted 11/8/2013 2:16:14 PM
Vyers posted...
Neo_Heartless posted...
Vyers posted...
You are certainly saying something. What I can gather is that Mario cannot be done without lives. Not for any explained reason, mind. The strongest argument this thread has offered has been tradition, and that's quite the weak argument. What does Galaxy 2 get from lives? What challenge would be lost? The challenge that Galaxy 2 brought to the table consisted of solid level design, where in almost every situation, lives do nothing but to kill the forward momentum. It's the lazy way to create difficulty.

No it wasn't. The strongest argument offered was the risk/reward system that comes with lives. Just because you don't like the argument doesn't mean you can just ignore it.

Hell, you even said it yourself. Designers would have to design the levels around lives, and yet you say Mario Galaxy 2 had solid level design. Are you saying it would be better without lives? Better if you could just blaze through the level without a care since dying has no real impact? Oh wait, Nintendo already did that and called it the White Tanooki Suit and people HATE it.

As was explained earlier. The concept of lives forces you to judge each decision you make and punishes you for mistakes. God forbid a game not hold your hand these days.

However I get the feeling you'll not accept any of this, because the moment I saw you say lives added "difficulty" and not "challenge" I could just imagine you really wanted to add the word Artificial before difficulty.

Your post works only if we assume that Rayman Origins was a game one could simply blaze through, or Super Meat Boy, or 'Splosion Man. As all sane people will say, no, Origins, and Meat Boy, and 'Splosion Man, are not games to be blazed through and are in fact games that need skill and precision. But wait! How can there be risk if you aren't kicked out of the level and forced to redo content at an arbitrary point in time, a point in time where getting better at the game and spending an hour exploiting a glitch to get infinite lives are the exact same thing?

Galaxy 2 is a game that will be harmed by its use of lives for time immemorial. No matter how good its level design is, it will be known as "that game that's good that adds in nostalgia when the game works without it." Again - and I shouldn't have to ask this any more than I have - what exactly did lives add to Galaxy or Galaxy 2? Am I to understand that their challenge didn't come from the level design but rather from repetition?

So your argument right now is that lives are verifiably part of why SMG1 and 2 are the best platformers ever made. That is the only situation where your argument works. If you can show that a reasonable percentage of reviews have that sentiment, I can concede. Even the best games ever made have flaws you realize.
---
Couple o' YouTube channels. http://www.youtube.com/user/TheNegativeHippie http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear
#68AhnoldDoodPosted 11/8/2013 2:18:04 PM
Of course IGN would think that.

Hint hint, guys, those yellow donut blocks fall when you touch them. Just a heads up.
#69Godstriker8Posted 11/9/2013 2:55:25 PM
Vyers posted...
Neo_Heartless posted...
Vyers posted...
You are certainly saying something. What I can gather is that Mario cannot be done without lives. Not for any explained reason, mind. The strongest argument this thread has offered has been tradition, and that's quite the weak argument. What does Galaxy 2 get from lives? What challenge would be lost? The challenge that Galaxy 2 brought to the table consisted of solid level design, where in almost every situation, lives do nothing but to kill the forward momentum. It's the lazy way to create difficulty.

No it wasn't. The strongest argument offered was the risk/reward system that comes with lives. Just because you don't like the argument doesn't mean you can just ignore it.

Hell, you even said it yourself. Designers would have to design the levels around lives, and yet you say Mario Galaxy 2 had solid level design. Are you saying it would be better without lives? Better if you could just blaze through the level without a care since dying has no real impact? Oh wait, Nintendo already did that and called it the White Tanooki Suit and people HATE it.

As was explained earlier. The concept of lives forces you to judge each decision you make and punishes you for mistakes. God forbid a game not hold your hand these days.

However I get the feeling you'll not accept any of this, because the moment I saw you say lives added "difficulty" and not "challenge" I could just imagine you really wanted to add the word Artificial before difficulty.

Your post works only if we assume that Rayman Origins was a game one could simply blaze through, or Super Meat Boy, or 'Splosion Man. As all sane people will say, no, Origins, and Meat Boy, and 'Splosion Man, are not games to be blazed through and are in fact games that need skill and precision. But wait! How can there be risk if you aren't kicked out of the level and forced to redo content at an arbitrary point in time, a point in time where getting better at the game and spending an hour exploiting a glitch to get infinite lives are the exact same thing?

Galaxy 2 is a game that will be harmed by its use of lives for time immemorial. No matter how good its level design is, it will be known as "that game that's good that adds in nostalgia when the game works without it." Again - and I shouldn't have to ask this any more than I have - what exactly did lives add to Galaxy or Galaxy 2? Am I to understand that their challenge didn't come from the level design but rather from repetition?

I fail to see how that makes anything moot.

"SMG is recognized to be a great game, therefore any possible problem someone has is moot."

Is what I'm reading.
---
I'm just dickin aroouunnnd
SHAKE AND BAKE!