Is 3rd party support dead on Wii U?

#1REAL_kielbasaPosted 11/7/2013 10:08:39 PM
It looks like every third party game on Wii U has flopped, both exclusives and multiplats.

Wonderful 101: flopped massively
Sonic: flopped
ZombiU: flopped

Every multiplat so far has sold abysmally on Wii U. EA abandoned the platform completely. Ubisoft (by far Wii U's biggest third-party supporter initially) delayed Rayman and went multiplatform after ZombiU bombed.

Now the next-gen systems are arriving. Do we expect the third parties to put ANY effort into Wii U games? Wii U exclusives are extremely high risk/low reward. Multiplatform games will have to be scaled down for Wii U, which seems like a lot of extra effort/expense for a few thousand more sales.

It seems like the only hope is for Nintendo to money hat the hell out of third-party devs. Is it too so to give up all hope for third party games on Wii U?
---
Ponies GTFO
#2ORANGE666Posted 11/7/2013 10:22:14 PM
Third party has been dead for Nintendo since the end of the SNES.

The only reason they still develop for Nintendo's handhelds is that Nintendo's MSRP for handheld games is greatly overpriced, hence massive profits.

Why develop for the PSP and sell a game for $40, when you can develop for the DS with games costing several times less to develop and sell for $35? Nintendo has won third party support because their fanbase doesn't care for pricing and value.

It comes down to profits, and Nintendo consoles aren't profitable while their handhelds are.
Unless Nintendo's greaty lowers their liscensing fees and sets the MSRP for WiiU games higher, third party won't develop for their system.
#3jwillennPosted 11/7/2013 10:31:31 PM
too focused on the exceptional stuff coming to Wii U to care at this point
#4TalentedMPosted 11/7/2013 10:32:07 PM
REAL_kielbasa posted...
It looks like every third party game on Wii U has flopped, both exclusives and multiplats.

Wonderful 101: flopped massively
Sonic: flopped
ZombiU: flopped

W101 was mixed and more niche than anything.
Sonic was blasted by critics for being difficult and "slower"
ZombiU was the 3rd best selling title on the system at launch

Every multiplat so far has sold abysmally on Wii U. EA abandoned the platform completely. Ubisoft (by far Wii U's biggest third-party supporter initially) delayed Rayman and went multiplatform after ZombiU bombed.

Sold abysmally on Wii U is a bit harsh, by comparison the other 2 consoles available right now getting support still and will continue to get support for at least 2 more years have a much larger install base compared to the Wii U. So to be fair, of course they wouldn't sell as highly but the rate is different for the Wii U and for the most part a lot of the developers have been taking things away from their multiplat games despite the Wii U version looking or performing better, it doesn't have the install base by comparison.

Now the next-gen systems are arriving. Do we expect the third parties to put ANY effort into Wii U games? Wii U exclusives are extremely high risk/low reward. Multiplatform games will have to be scaled down for Wii U, which seems like a lot of extra effort/expense for a few thousand more sales.

Safe assumption. If the money isn't there, they won't make it. But for some games it won't be as difficult to tone the game down. They do it all the time comparing some PS360 games with one another and now with PS360/U/PS4/X1 comparisons you see popping up for games like AC4. The difference is slight and mostly only noticeable side by side.

I don't see it being much of a problem. Each system will have its group and if they decide that the game can be toned down to the Wii U, to make money, they will do it. The real question is how much effort they put into the gamepad honestly.

It is a concern, but then again 3rd parties for me go to PC for the most part anyways. But I am not everyone.

It seems like the only hope is for Nintendo to money hat the hell out of third-party devs. Is it too so to give up all hope for third party games on Wii U?

Yes, entirely too soon. With support of the previous gen going through at least 2 more years and with next gen systems not hitting it out of the ballpark right at launch I would say it is far too soon to count it out for the Wii U multiplat wise. Though I do expect there to be compromises on the games if the gamepad is being used more. Maybe losing a feature here or there, or something like we have been seeing.

But thats what happens when you have 3 systems (soon to be 5). But I don't think we will see too many skipping the Wii U honestly. Wii U has had a pretty decent year getting multiplats so far, including the big AAA titles of recent even getting 2 CoD games without being utterly gimped.

It isn't exactly justified yet to say that the Wii U wont get any, but it is a safe concern to have of course.
---
I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing
#5crowe_1Posted 11/8/2013 3:46:01 AM
REAL_kielbasa posted...

Every multiplat so far has sold abysmally on Wii U.

Three examples is not enough to make this claim. And, as has been stated, Zombi U was the third-best selling game at launch, and may still be the best-selling third party software on the system. Not sure why Ubisoft wasn't happy with the sales, especially given that, while I love the game to death, it doesn't exactly scream "high production values". Them "not making their money back" could have to do with the game being started over from scratch and becoming Zombi U instead of Killer Freaks on 360 in a span of 14 months. We just don't know. 500k sales is pretty great for a launch game. Let's see how many games on the upcoming systems break that at launch.

How about Sonic Racing? Assassin's Creed 3? Lego City? Monster Hunter? Scribblenauts: Unlimited? eShop titles? CoD? Batman? You also mentioned Rayman Legends, which as I understand it performed very well on Wii U relative to the other systems it appeared on. Any of their developers gone on record to say how they felt about the sales? A few of those have already seen sequels on the system, so sales couldn't have been THAT bad. And, obviously Wii U has many, if not most of the high-profile third-party retail games from this holiday season. I think that the fact that those games' sales numbers haven't been plastered all over this board is probably indicative that they weren't all that bad, though that's pure speculation.
---
My SSBM combo vids:
http://www.youtube.com/user/crowe1
#6quickposterPosted 11/8/2013 3:49:03 AM
Wonderful 101 is first party. Its just developed by Platinum.
#7segagamerPosted 11/8/2013 3:49:54 AM
Black Ops 2 sold 250,000 (a big percentage of the install base), and it still made a profit.
---
Wii U+Xbox One :)
NNID: JZimino
#8REAL_kielbasa(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2013 5:02:20 AM
segagamer posted...
Black Ops 2 sold 250,000 (a big percentage of the install base), and it still made a profit.

It sold over 24 million total across all platforms, meaning the Wii U version was only about 1% of the total sales. I'd hardly call that a big percentage.
---
Ponies GTFO
#9CranberryPSOPosted 11/8/2013 5:19:20 AM
Did Sonic actually flop or are you just basing that off of the lukewarm reviews?
---
Best quest to fight tons of Canadians really fast? ~HaienLai
Topics won: 3
#10REAL_kielbasa(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2013 5:27:54 AM
crowe_1 posted...

Three examples is not enough to make this claim. And, as has been stated, Zombi U was the third-best selling game at launch, and may still be the best-selling third party software on the system. Not sure why Ubisoft wasn't happy with the sales, especially given that, while I love the game to death, it doesn't exactly scream "high production values". Them "not making their money back" could have to do with the game being started over from scratch and becoming Zombi U instead of Killer Freaks on 360 in a span of 14 months. We just don't know. 500k sales is pretty great for a launch game. Let's see how many games on the upcoming systems break that at launch.

Obviously it sold far worse than Ubisoft expected it to. And if the BEST selling third-party game in a system's first year sold just 500k, that isn't exactly encouraging.

How about Sonic Racing? Assassin's Creed 3? Lego City? Monster Hunter? Scribblenauts: Unlimited? eShop titles? CoD? Batman? You also mentioned Rayman Legends, which as I understand it performed very well on Wii U relative to the other systems it appeared on. Any of their developers gone on record to say how they felt about the sales? A few of those have already seen sequels on the system, so sales couldn't have been THAT bad. And, obviously Wii U has many, if not most of the high-profile third-party retail games from this holiday season. I think that the fact that those games' sales numbers haven't been plastered all over this board is probably indicative that they weren't all that bad, though that's pure speculation.

Sonic Racing: admittedly sold okay. Around 250k, 1/4 of the game's total sales.
AC3: less than 2% of its total sales on Wii U
Lego City: sold 500k. Pretty bad for a Lego game
Monster Hunter: 430k. Pretty disappointing for MH but probably made a profit, since it was a port of a 3DS game that was itself an enhanced Wii game
Scribblenauts: 180k. That seems like a massive disappointment compared to the first two games
Batman: 170k. Less than 2% of its total sales
Rayman Legends: 110k. It may have sold best on Wii U but it was still a huge flop.

Bottom line: the only third-party support we'll see on Wii U is quick and dirty 360/PS3 ports, and that's only going to last as long as devs are still making games for those systems. I find it very hard to imagine any third-party studio devoting significant resources to Wii U given the extremely disappointing return they've seen so far.
---
Ponies GTFO