Metroid: Other M is better than Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario in some ways

#1TerraUniversePosted 11/8/2013 3:18:47 PM
I know that Metroid: Other M doesn't have the best gameplay and it's not a FPS like the Metroid Prime series, however it does have a unique story. It's not exactly what everyone, but at least it's a story. It's like those Sonic games (Sonic 06, Sonic Unleashed) where they have quirky storylines and just try something new. That's what Nintendo was doing with Metroid: Other M, it was a reboot and a unique story. At least they tried something.

With Super Smash Bros. Brawl, they were thinking of doing away with story mode altogether. With the Mario games, they focus more on making Mario act like a doll than an actual person. The New Sonic: Lost World game seems to be more like Mario and less about the story like the other Xbox 360/PS3 Sonic games were. In other words, Nintendo is wanting to just give us gameplay, but where the storyline? Where's the funny dialogue? Nintendo is wanting to be more like Angry Birds and just focus on addictive games.

I think console games should not be like mobile games. Console games need to be immersive and storylines provide immersion. Metroid: Other M had a storyline and you could actually hear what Samus was saying. It was just one interpretation of Samus. It may not even be canon. Still, it's just one more layer of art that is placed into the game, and with Nintendo wanting to take away stories, their games are that less immersive. When you're playing these games, feeling like you're in another world, is a part of the console gaming experience. It's not just about distracting yourself with some game, you want to go somewhere and meet someone. That's what Metroid: Other M did, and that's what Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario games and the new Sonic: Lost World game are avoiding.
#2RahzarXPosted 11/8/2013 3:20:52 PM
Soooo TLDR, you think Super Mario lacks a compelling story?
---
whythefat "DDR, I notice your karma is 567. That 5+6+7= 18. 18 plus your IQ is 19. There were 19 hijackers on 911. You are a terrorist."
#3__Blight__Posted 11/8/2013 3:21:29 PM
Other M was one of the worst written stories I have ever experienced in a video game. It confirmed that Nintendo has zero idea/ability on how to write a captivating story.
---
This wretched world does not reward endeavor, it is the patron and his troupe who are receipt; maggots grown fat on endeavour's corpse.
#4DoomerangPosted 11/8/2013 3:22:02 PM
Just because a story is unique, does not mean that the story is good. There's a huge difference, and I'd prefer having a well-established character not be developed and remain static in a game, than have a story completely ruin the character just for the hell of it.
---
Kenshin's the Beauty, Kaoru's the Beast? - Mister_Feeny
Would that make Shishioh the candle guy? - Gettles
#5TheLazyClownPosted 11/8/2013 3:25:09 PM
Hold on here. All 3 of those games are great, but they are very different from each other, It's a very invalid comparison.
---
I am the one who knocks! ~ Walter White
https://www.facebook.com/HipsterDrGero
#6SyCo_VeNoMPosted 11/8/2013 3:32:58 PM
Unique story must now means an abomination of a story damn you young kids, and your modern street slang.

Other M has one of the worst stories ever told in a mainstream game (I'm sure there are some worst in those games 95% of ppl never heard of) that makes fan fiction written by some horny teeny bopper look like Shakespeare in comparison
#7ResponderPosted 11/8/2013 3:39:23 PM
Story does not make a game, no matter how good or bad or unique it is.
#8strongo9Posted 11/8/2013 3:52:18 PM
TC, I don't think you understand. Smash Bros. is a fighter and Mario is a platformer. Those aren't genres people expect stories from.
---
R.I.P. Mewtwo (1996 - 2013)
i7-2670qm @ 2.2ghz | 6GB DDR3 | 1GB Geforce GT 540m
#9TerraUniverse(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2013 8:20:14 PM(edited)
__Blight__ posted...
Other M was one of the worst written stories I have ever experienced in a video game. It confirmed that Nintendo has zero idea/ability on how to write a captivating story.

There was symbolism in the story. Also, the graphics were great for a Wii game. I'm saying, any story is good, at least they tried something. I feel like Nintendo is wanting to get away from the storytelling with their main game franchises. No story, will make the experiences more boring. If it's all action or platforming, then it all starts to look the same. Super Mario RPG with Mario talking was a good example of storytelling. Have Mario talking again and having conversation, just like Mickey Mouse does in their movies. Oh and it doesn't have to be every game, Metroid: Other M was a good example of them trying something new. I appreciate that. Nintendo liked Metroid: Other M.
#10mahboiPosted 11/8/2013 8:47:40 PM
__Blight__ posted...

Mother 3.
---
E means "Everyone", not "Eleven and under". Agrees: 63
I believe in Jesus Christ as my Savior, and am proud of it.