Metroid: Other M is better than Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario in some ways

#171TerraUniverse(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2013 7:13:10 PM
Big_Isaac posted...

This is pathetic. You're honestly attempting to rationalize the inconsistencies Other M has with the rest of the series by conjecturing that it wasn't trying to fit in? It didn't have to try to fit in?
Other M is an interquel. It takes place between Super and Fusion.
It's not a reboot, it's not a pseudo-reboot and it's not set in its own universe...

It's not about about not trying to fit in, it's that that's what they wanted to do. It's an artistic expression. The people who are producing are aware that it doesn't match up with the other series, just like a movie sequel might be aware that what they are doing is not following along with what the previous movies did. This happens all the time in sequels. I'm fine with accepting it as part of the game universe, in the same way that Cinderella 2 is part of the Cinderella Disney movies, but that doesn't mean that Cinderella 2 is exactly in the same category as Cinderella the original Disney movie. It's not even really a direct sequel to anything, it's just meant to be somewhere in the timeline. Obviously directly liked this interpretation of Samus, so I don't see why we can't accept it. I don't mind all of the inconsistencies or that Samus's personality might be dislikeable to some. I've given examples of how sequels don't always follow what the other movies have created. This happens for a variety of reasons. Yes, Sakamoto did like the story, and I like the story. I'm simply agreeing with a lot of the observations that critics are making as well.

Metroid: Other M was going for a different style of gameplay, that's why if they were going to switch it up, they should have put a little more effort in level design/gameplay. I don't mind them changing the style, I just agree with you that they were being simplistic about it.

The game is like a budget title. Like you mentioned, the music, the gameplay, the level design, everything about it is like a budget title. The only thing that make it stand out is the story and the cool-looking cutscene graphics. That keeps this game from being a great game. I do however recognize the efforts that they made in the story and applaud Nintendo for making the story, because Nintendo did support the game. However, now they might not want to do story-based games in the way that Metroid: Other M was.
#172lindaluvPosted 11/18/2013 8:35:48 PM
Big_Isaac posted...
lindaluv posted...
Wow.. really... ??? Way to push that forward as a "fact". While I love the Xenoblade theme, the FF13 theme gives far more immersion and impact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMEe9pAhS3U

But thats just our preferences, kind of like most of your arguments, all about YOUR preferences.

This really doesn't change anything about my point. FF13's theme made the area more immersive for you just as Xenoblade's theme made it for me.
Point is, the music is a much more important aspect of a game than the graphics

Again, music FOR YOU is more important, for others not so much. There are people that will play a game with the most horrid game style as long as the story is top notch, there are those that will play a game only if it has an outstanding musical score with it.. and then there are those that just want to play a game for its play style.

Point is, there are far more people who have a higher preference for graphics then they do the music, so again.. quit pushing your preferences as fact.

Also, Other M had great game play, but I agree the way they presented the story, and they way they portrayed Samus was a big no-no. This is clearly not HOW I remember Samus, especially since this game is set right after Super Metroid, where she faces the likes of Ridley, Kraid, Draygon and the frikking Mother Brain and does not go into random freak out attacks.
---
MolaMadara : Punkin (200 - Strider) - http://i.imgur.com/peZhp.jpg
MulaMadara : Deneb (25 - Sorc)
#173TerraUniverse(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2013 3:57:25 PM
lindaluv posted...
Big_Isaac posted...
lindaluv posted...
Wow.. really... ??? Way to push that forward as a "fact". While I love the Xenoblade theme, the FF13 theme gives far more immersion and impact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMEe9pAhS3U

But thats just our preferences, kind of like most of your arguments, all about YOUR preferences.

This really doesn't change anything about my point. FF13's theme made the area more immersive for you just as Xenoblade's theme made it for me.
Point is, the music is a much more important aspect of a game than the graphics

Again, music FOR YOU is more important, for others not so much. There are people that will play a game with the most horrid game style as long as the story is top notch, there are those that will play a game only if it has an outstanding musical score with it.. and then there are those that just want to play a game for its play style.

Point is, there are far more people who have a higher preference for graphics then they do the music, so again.. quit pushing your preferences as fact.

Also, Other M had great game play, but I agree the way they presented the story, and they way they portrayed Samus was a big no-no. This is clearly not HOW I remember Samus, especially since this game is set right after Super Metroid, where she faces the likes of Ridley, Kraid, Draygon and the frikking Mother Brain and does not go into random freak out attacks.

I like how everyone likes different aspects of the game.
#174TerraUniverse(Topic Creator)Posted 11/20/2013 7:06:52 AM
stargazer1981 posted...
1) Make a topic with Other M in the title.

2) Corral every poster with an opinion about said crappy game.

3) Make sure it goes nowhere fast.

4) ???

5) 500 posts.

That damn game is like a running joke on these boards. Or like a bad penny, it always turns up.

Yeah, I know we didn't really go anywhere, but we jumped through a lot of toptics.
#175Big_IsaacPosted 11/20/2013 9:08:15 AM
TerraUniverse posted...
It's not about about not trying to fit in, it's that that's what they wanted to do. It's an artistic expression. The people who are producing are aware that it doesn't match up with the other series, just like a movie sequel might be aware that what they are doing is not following along with what the previous movies did.

I'll give you one thing: You're very original. Your defenses are still complete BS, but at least I haven't heard that one before.
So what you're saying is that Other M makes no sense by choice? It's an artistic decision that it clashes with the entire series?
1 I'd like you to present me with some evidence of that.
2 If that was the case, then why did Sakamoto ignore the Prime trilogy? If the game wasn't supposed to make sense, then it shouldn't have mattered whether it contradicted the Primes as well, no?
3 So bloody what? Other M still clashes with the entire series. Whether Sakamoto, in his Lucas-syndrome-addled mind, thought this was a good idea doesn't matter. The end result is a story that makes no sense in the context of its own universe. Big shocker, that's not a good thing!

I'm fine with accepting it as part of the game universe, in the same way that Cinderella 2 is part of the Cinderella Disney movies, but that doesn't mean that Cinderella 2 is exactly in the same category as Cinderella the original Disney movie. It's not even really a direct sequel to anything, it's just meant to be somewhere in the timeline.

Except Other M IS a direct sequel to something. It is MEANT to fit into the timeline
It is a sequel to Super that is supposed to set up Fusion. It's not a spinoff or departure from the Metroid storyline in any way.

Obviously directly liked this interpretation of Samus, so I don't see why we can't accept it.

Well, let's start with the fact that this "interpretation" (read: butchering) of Samus doesn't make sense.
You can tell yourself that Other M exists in some closed off bubble world all day if you want, but that doesn't make it true.

I don't mind all of the inconsistencies or that Samus's personality might be dislikeable to some. I've given examples of how sequels don't always follow what the other movies have created. This happens for a variety of reasons. Yes, Sakamoto did like the story, and I like the story. I'm simply agreeing with a lot of the observations that critics are making as well.

This isn't about what you like or dislike. It's about you trying to argue that Other M is a good game.
If you told me that you like eating sand and drinking gasoline, I wouldn't have a problem with that - until you try telling me that sand and gasoline make for a good dinner.

The game is like a budget title. Like you mentioned, the music, the gameplay, the level design, everything about it is like a budget title. The only thing that make it stand out is the story and the cool-looking cutscene graphics. That keeps this game from being a great game. I do however recognize the efforts that they made in the story and applaud Nintendo for making the story, because Nintendo did support the game. However, now they might not want to do story-based games in the way that Metroid: Other M was.

So am I supposed to cut it some slack because it didn't have a lot of money to work with? Tell that to the growing indi market. Look at what amazing experience people can produce on practically no budget at all. The gameplay is mundane, the story is fundamentally broken and the visuals are dull as dish water. None of these things have anything to do with budget.
---
Waiting for golden Sun 3DS
2 things are infinite: The Universe and human stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe, though -Albert Einstein
#176lindaluvPosted 11/20/2013 12:21:36 PM
The only thing I can see in regards to trying to push forward the Other M story, since it is a DIRECT sequel, and continuation of the events right after Super Metroid would be to consider it like Castlevania, Lords of Shadow, where it is a retelling of certain events in a parallel timeline, they share the same characters, names, history to some extent and title, but are set in a different/parallel universe.

Im currently playing Other M and Im jut about to meet Ridley I think, up until this point... the game has been very good and fun. Samus, besides her small interjections and thoughts, still seems badass, which makes me wonder about people thinking her character is ruined simply because of the PTSD .. which I might add is canon and something that was delved into in the manga. (even tho I still think it shows Samus to be a bit more weak then what she was "apparently" portrayed in all previous games)

How exactly does Other M fit into fusion and Prime tho? I havent played the Prime series and I dont mind spoilers.
---
#177Big_IsaacPosted 11/21/2013 12:30:44 AM
lindaluv posted...
The only thing I can see in regards to trying to push forward the Other M story, since it is a DIRECT sequel, and continuation of the events right after Super Metroid would be to consider it like Castlevania, Lords of Shadow, where it is a retelling of certain events in a parallel timeline, they share the same characters, names, history to some extent and title, but are set in a different/parallel universe.

Lords of Shadow is a reboot, so it's understandable why it's doing its own thing. It doesn't share the same characters as much as it shares the character names and concepts. Alucard is the son of dracula in both versions, but the SotN Alucard and the Mirror of Fate Alucard have pretty much nothing in common.

Im currently playing Other M and Im jut about to meet Ridley I think, up until this point... the game has been very good and fun. Samus, besides her small interjections and thoughts, still seems badass, which makes me wonder about people thinking her character is ruined simply because of the PTSD

The PTSD is only a small part of the issue. There's 3, arguably 4, big scenes in Other M that murder Samus' character.
1 The hell run in the pyrosphere - Samus is willing to burn to death just because Adam hasn't specifically told her to activate the Varia Suit
2 The Ridley scene - I'll go into more detail about the PTSD further down, but the scene also sets up something else that weakens Samus as a character
3 Adam's death
4 The ending

.. which I might add is canon and something that was delved into in the manga. (even tho I still think it shows Samus to be a bit more weak then what she was "apparently" portrayed in all previous games)

What exactly is that "apparently" supposed to mean? The Ridley scene clashes with her portrayal in all the other games AND the Manga. Period.
Here's the thing: The PTSD is a plot device that was introduced in the manga as a way to let Samus grow as a character.
When it first comes up, Samus freezes, is unable to defend herself against Ridley and ultimately loses the fight.

That's the set-up for a very basic character ark.
A character fails to accomplish something, only to be confronted with the identical, or a very similar, situation later on. That time, however, the character succeeds. This shows that the character has learned from his/her previous failure and managed to rise above his/her previous limits. As a result, the character grows.

The Manga is a textbook example of that. When Samus fights Ridley the next time, she manages to overcome her trauma and kills Ridley. With that, the character ark is completed and Samus' growth is achieved.
The PTSD was not supposed to come up again after that. Samus got over it.
And before you start snarking at me "that's not how PTSD works," take it out on the writer of the Manga, not me. Yes it's not realistic to overcome something like PTSD through force of will (or at all, for that matter), but that's what the Manga decided to go with.
By bringing up PTSD again so late in the Metroid timeline, Other M undoes the growth Samus received in the Manga and contradicts every other Ridley fight in the series.

How exactly does Other M fit into fusion and Prime tho? I havent played the Prime series and I dont mind spoilers.

It really doesn't fit. At all. That's the problem.
---
Waiting for golden Sun 3DS
2 things are infinite: The Universe and human stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe, though -Albert Einstein
#178AlexPumaPosted 11/21/2013 1:48:44 AM
Aren't many of the plot points in Fusion and Other M so similar its nearly redundant? Heck, if I didn't know the canon placement, and somebody just handed me Other M blindly saying its the new Metroid game with no other context, I would have thought it was a 3D remake/retcon of Fusion with Adam as a human and not an AI.
---
http://www.gaming-unleashed.com/
"Oh I can handle any load that comes my way....." - Savott
#179lindaluvPosted 11/21/2013 11:03:09 AM
AlexPuma posted...
Aren't many of the plot points in Fusion and Other M so similar its nearly redundant? Heck, if I didn't know the canon placement, and somebody just handed me Other M blindly saying its the new Metroid game with no other context, I would have thought it was a 3D remake/retcon of Fusion with Adam as a human and not an AI.

Yea, I came to the same conclusion, it really is very Fusion-y, but its a lot more story driven. There are certain things that were done in this game that I thought were bad decisions, and the main flaws.The general the gameplay was superb though, and until I play the Prime series, Id say if they can improve certain things and remove the linearity by incorporating a Super Metroid type adventure.. then man that would be the best Metroid to date.

Also, the PTSD thing was very misplaced and unwarranted. In the manga, which the Sakamoto keeps using as reference, Samus had the PTSD very early on, as in prior to Super Metroid whre she ends him officially. SO to have her go into it again after she already owned his arse just seems like a stupid thing to do. If anything they could have shown that as a flashback as a means to reintroduce Ridley and then she battles him once again... instead of.. the lame

Ill go into freeze mode and freak out, and allow Ridley to get killed off screen without even fighting him

That to me, was the biggest gaff in the story
---
#180RaengPosted 11/21/2013 1:54:04 PM
TerraUniverse posted...
__Blight__ posted...
Other M was one of the worst written stories I have ever experienced in a video game. It confirmed that Nintendo has zero idea/ability on how to write a captivating story.

There was symbolism in the story. Also, the graphics were great for a Wii game. I'm saying, any story is good, at least they tried something. I feel like Nintendo is wanting to get away from the storytelling with their main game franchises. No story, will make the experiences more boring. If it's all action or platforming, then it all starts to look the same. Super Mario RPG with Mario talking was a good example of storytelling. Have Mario talking again and having conversation, just like Mickey Mouse does in their movies. Oh and it doesn't have to be every game, Metroid: Other M was a good example of them trying something new. I appreciate that. Nintendo liked Metroid: Other M.

I highly urge you to read this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/lb_i.php?lb_id=13373815860B43920100&i_id=13373815860I43921400&p=1
It's a big read, but it goes in depth on just how badly written the story is. It's 'subtle' hints towards the mother & child themes (which, by the way, required a complete retcon of the series) are an insult to any viewer. The story wasn't deep, catchy or even interesting.
It was insulting. To both the core audience and more importantly: Samus. Where previous games, like Zero Mission, showed that Samus was the legendary Hunter by her skill with the suit being a handy extra..Other M paints a picture of a Samus who's a complete failure and merely succeeds because she's walking in what can pretty much be described as God Armor (yet still takes orders and gets death threats..HA!).

I'm stopping here. Hate that game more then would be considered healthy.
---
PSN: Royta15
www.youtube.com/royta15