Metroid: Other M is better than Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario in some ways

#231Emperor_ZPosted 11/25/2013 8:22:43 PM
lindaluv posted...
Emperor_Z posted...
I'd much rather have the minimalist stories of the other Metroid games than the poorly written story of Other M.

More != better

What about the gameplay?

Playable but subpar. The combat was okay, but could have been better, especially if they had used the nunchuck, which would have allowed for a better dodging system. The exploration was some of the worst in the series, not even permitting backtracking. The only deviations from the linear path are small offshoots with upgrades in them. The upgrades also don't feel as significant as in other installments.

Finally, authorization had a negative effect, not just on the story, but on the gameplay. Instead of getting rewarded for exploring areas, beating bosses, and solving puzzles, you're given your upgrades seemingly at random. It's quite unsatisfying.

I also had a notable experience during the part where you have to save a squad member from being attacked by a monster on an elevated part of the room. There was a grapple point in the area, but I ignored it because I knew that I didn't have the grapple beam and I searched for another way up. Turns out that you're supposed to lock onto the grapple point so that you'll be given the grapple beam. That was a dumb moment.
#232AceMosPosted 11/25/2013 8:52:29 PM
TC how do you defend these

the lack of nunchuck use

the fact that sakamoto belived first person view to look at the invorments was a godo replacment for exploring the enviroments

the fact that samus (the main char of the franchise and the person you play s in all emtroid games inclduing this one) has nothing to do with the plot and acomplished nothing and went trhough no character devlopement (which is key for any character focused story)
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*
#233JamanjaxPosted 11/25/2013 9:19:41 PM
Well TC, I've gotta' hand it to ya'. From your eagerness to defend Other M, your "story is better than no story" mentality, to your mind-boggling Metroid/Sonic comparisons and theories..

This topic, your posts in particular, is the biggest crock of **** I've seen on these boards by far. And believe me, I've been 'round for a while. I've seen some ludicrous ****. But this.. This takes the cake. Thanks for the laugh, my man.
---
He who has the blues, has a good thing.
#234Big_IsaacPosted 11/26/2013 9:19:42 AM
TerraUniverse posted...
There's Mary Sue's in this? What's wrong with that? Okay, they're usually not great stories. It's an interesting idea, however. You know.

Is it just me or is this your answer to everything?
We post some crippling flaws of Other M's story or gameplay and you respond with "but is that really such a bad thing?"
---
Waiting for golden Sun 3DS
2 things are infinite: The Universe and human stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe, though -Albert Einstein
#235wiiking96Posted 11/26/2013 11:17:49 AM
TC, are you a really subtle troll? Please answer honestly.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#236lindaluvPosted 11/26/2013 11:29:13 AM
Big_Isaac posted...
TerraUniverse posted...
There's Mary Sue's in this? What's wrong with that? Okay, they're usually not great stories. It's an interesting idea, however. You know.

We post some crippling flaws of Other M's story or gameplay and you respond with "but is that really such a bad thing?"

Correction, you post BIG flaws for the story and Samus only. Gameplay was great.
---
MolaMadara : Punkin (200 - Strider) - http://i.imgur.com/peZhp.jpg
MulaMadara : Deneb (25 - Sorc)
#237AceMosPosted 11/26/2013 11:43:27 AM
lindaluv posted...
Big_Isaac posted...
TerraUniverse posted...

Correction, you post BIG flaws for the story and Samus only. Gameplay was great.

no the gameplay is falwed to its just a generic action game and it has no exploration and for a metroid game that is verry bad
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*
#238lindaluvPosted 11/26/2013 12:02:02 PM
AceMos posted...
lindaluv posted...
Big_Isaac posted...
TerraUniverse posted...

no the gameplay is falwed to its just a generic action game and it has no exploration and for a metroid game that is verry bad

I agree the exploration was severely limited but over all the presentation, and 2d/3d 3rd person perspective was a great change from the lame FPS perspective of the Prime series.. which was one of the biggest reasons I just could not play those games. IT was not a generic action game, it had some great ideas that were implemented neatly. Dont let the horrid story and botching of Samus fuel your hate for a quality gameplay wise game.
---
MolaMadara : Punkin (200 - Strider) - http://i.imgur.com/peZhp.jpg
MulaMadara : Deneb (25 - Sorc)
#239Soanevalcke6Posted 11/26/2013 12:08:02 PM
__Blight__ posted...
It confirmed that Nintendo has zero idea/ability on how to write a captivating story.

Sakamoto is just one person in Nintendo. The story was pretty much his fan-fiction for the Metroid Universe. Saying this proves Nintendo as a whole cant write a story is like... Saying the CD-i Zelda's prove why Zelda games shouldn't have voice acting

TerraUniverse posted...
Also, the graphics were great for a Wii game..

Even the Gamecube Prime games looked better, Everything in Other M looked like Shiny, Plastic toys with very little detail. I mean, Nintendo Land and SM3DW look shiny and Plasticy in some places, but they don't sacrifice detail for it. And don't forget that God-awful Ridley design.
---
"Hey, relax! We're the good guys! Justice will prevail and all that stuff... right, Samus?"
PSN/NNID/Steam: Soanevalcke6
#240rayneotaconPosted 11/26/2013 12:27:35 PM
Has anyone mentioned yet that Other M openly states that Prime 3 didn't happen? It also completely ignores the existence of Metroid 2.