When upgrading a Virtual Console title from Wii mode, does...

#1ClaytronicPosted 11/9/2013 2:39:40 AM
... the game's save file also get moved out of Wii mode storage and into the Wii U's storage? (not talking about a Wii to Wii U system transfer here; the only system involved in this situation is a single Wii U)

I ask because I just downloaded A Link to the Past (via Club Nintendo) into my Wii U's Wii mode, and I was wondering if my progress would carry over after eventually upgrading the title in the Wii U eshop? (once it becomes available there of course, which seems like it will be very soon) Or would I be forced to start all over again after the upgrade, once I'm playing with gamepad and Miiverse features?

I'm basically debating whether or not to play much of it right now, because I'd rather not get halfway through the game and then upgrade it on the eshop in a week or two only to lose my current progress.

Thanks.
---
A friend of mine thought that he had an NES toploader, until I informed him that it was a Super NES.
#2DiscostewSMPosted 11/9/2013 2:41:14 AM
Don't think saves migrate over. When you "upgrade", you're basically getting a full copy at a discounted price, so there's no actual migration happening.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#3Thunderbird8Posted 11/9/2013 3:22:35 AM
Saves do not transfer.
#4Shadowbird_RHPosted 11/9/2013 3:32:19 AM
DiscostewSM posted...
Don't think saves migrate over. When you "upgrade", you're basically getting a full copy at a discounted price, so there's no actual migration happening.

That. Wii VC games and Wii U VC games are completely independent. Nothing that happens in one has any effect on the other, unless you count the discount from having the Wii VC game when buying a Wii U VC game.
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR
#5Claytronic(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2013 9:05:11 AM
Nuts, oh well. Thanks for the replies.

On a related note, something I've always wondered about is the fairness of the upgrade price itself to existing owners of Wii VC games. If you didn't own a VC game on the Wii/Wii mode, and rather bought it straight on the the Wii U eshop, you pay a flat rate ($5/$8). But previously owning a copy of it in Wii mode and then wanting it on the Wii U system requires a fee. Super Mario World, for example, ultimately costs $9.50 in total to anyone wanting to upgrade.

I'm certainly not suggesting for the standard, non-transferring prices of NES/SNES VC games to be increased to $6/$9.50, but rather asking why, exactly, don't non-transferring Wii U owners need to pay as much for their games compared to someone who picked them up years ago? It seems a little unfair to me, is all. Unless I'm overlooking something obvious (just got my Wii U in August, so chances are I'm not familiar with all the finer details of the system).
---
A friend of mine thought that he had an NES toploader, until I informed him that it was a Super NES.
#61shadetail1Posted 11/9/2013 9:17:08 AM
^^ I don't get what you're asking. Are you saying WiiU owners who didn't get the Wii version should pay more, or pay less?
---
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.
#7Ben ReillyPosted 11/9/2013 9:18:55 AM
Because Nintendo is looking for any way they can to squeeze more money out of you just like any other company.

The entire VC upgrade transfer process is a complete joke and rip off.
---
Lebatard: "So what more could Derrick Rose actually have done to make you acknowledge that he had a bad game? Urinate on himself?"
#8Claytronic(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2013 9:26:56 AM
1shadetail1 posted...
^^ I don't get what you're asking. Are you saying WiiU owners who didn't get the Wii version should pay more, or pay less?

Basically, I'm asking how it's fair for people to have to pay an additional fee for basically the luxury of owning the game earlier. It's almost as though Nintendo is saying "Thank you for being a loyal customer and buying those 150 VC games in the past. Now pay us some more money so you can get Wii U features added to them. Please note that customers buying VC games straight into their Wii U system are ultimately paying less money than you. Thank you for your loyalty.").

In the interest of fairness then, it seems like the standard prices of non-upgrading Wii U VC games should be $6/$9.50, not that I'd personally actually want that (in the interests of being a tightwad).
---
#9AndyliiniPosted 11/9/2013 9:46:20 AM
Personally, I think it's fair.

If I buy a DVD, I don't go to publishers complaining that I am entitled to get a Blu-Ray for free, because I have already bought the product. In fact, I have to buy it again at a full price if I want it.

Same thing, though different media.
#10Ben ReillyPosted 11/9/2013 11:22:45 AM
Andyliini posted...
Personally, I think it's fair.

If I buy a DVD, I don't go to publishers complaining that I am entitled to get a Blu-Ray for free, because I have already bought the product. In fact, I have to buy it again at a full price if I want it.

Same thing, though different media.

Actually its not the same

Not even close

Also its not different media, its the same media

Let's use Sony as an example

A game like Flower which is a cross buy PSN title

It started as a PS3 game

But if you purchased it, you get the Vita and PS4 versions automatically, even if you bought the PS3 game 4 years ago.

Also you can share your saves as well as use the features of the newer Hard ware like the Vita's touch screen, or the PS4's touch pad.

Nintendo is charging because they can

All your Wii VC games could have been playable out the gate on the Wii U especially since the games aren't being remade or ported or anything.

The VC games are nothing but a rom dump and a HTML file for instructions
---
Lebatard: "So what more could Derrick Rose actually have done to make you acknowledge that he had a bad game? Urinate on himself?"