Can the WiiU game pad be use like a wired controller?

#1shotgunheadshotPosted 11/9/2013 2:20:27 PM
I'm just wondering so i would'nt have to recharge it all the time. I know it's wireless but can you use it as a wired controller with a USB cable? But i'm hearing it uses an AC adapter to plug in the wall. Is that how you charge while you play? I'm really thinking about getting a WiiU. I'm going to sell my PS3 and 3DS to put towards it when I do get one. Just to save some money.
#2VirtuaSnipaPosted 11/9/2013 2:22:26 PM
The Wii U and Gamepad are like two seperate things that just work together. Wii U gets its standard AC that plugs into the wall and the Gamepad gets its own AC that plugs into a wall as well. Its like a charger to a portable console. So long as the charger is plugged in, it'll run off the incoming power an not the battery.
#3wugeezyPosted 11/9/2013 2:23:18 PM
Yes you can have it plugged into the wall with the charge cable while still playing it. It does not have a usb cord type plug to plug into the console directly. It plugs into the charger which you plug into the wall. From my understanding it also charges the gamepad at the same time even if you are using it.
#4NovaLevossidaPosted 11/9/2013 2:30:02 PM
I'm still kind of wondering why Nintendo hasn't released an official charge cable that connects directly to the system since third parties have already.
---
I think the launch of other video game systems is also good for us - Iwata of Nintendo
the playstation 2 sure helped dreamcast - magemaximus
#5VirtuaSnipaPosted 11/9/2013 2:31:51 PM
NovaLevossida posted...
I'm still kind of wondering why Nintendo hasn't released an official charge cable that connects directly to the system since third parties have already.

because the system goes to 70 watts at max load. If a USB HDD doesn't work without a Y cable, do you honestly think its a good idea to try an charge off one USB port?
#6Puckswack12Posted 11/9/2013 2:33:57 PM
As of right now you can only plug the gamepad into the wall to charge it. Although it can be plugged in while youre playing a game, It cant actually plug in to the wii u in any way like most wired controllers. Since the wii u has four (I haven't the foggiest idea why it needs four tbh) USB slots I wouldn't be surprised if they release a USB cable charger from wii u to gamepad. I feel like that's not possible for some reason though... Like the wii I can't give that much power to something but idk
#7NovaLevossidaPosted 11/9/2013 2:36:56 PM
VirtuaSnipa posted...
NovaLevossida posted...

because the system goes to 70 watts at max load. If a USB HDD doesn't work without a Y cable, do you honestly think its a good idea to try an charge off one USB port?

I figured there was something up with the mechanics of it. Nintendo's usually the first to offer some peripheral, cable, or accessory before anyone else can. That's why I haven't ordered a third party cable; I didn't trust them since there wasn't an official one, and I supposed there wasn't an official one for good reason.

Then again, the Pro controller charges directly off the system, so without knowing the specifics of how the charging works, it just seems to me like the gamepad charging off USB would work but just at a slower charge rate.
---
I think the launch of other video game systems is also good for us - Iwata of Nintendo
the playstation 2 sure helped dreamcast - magemaximus
#8SaraAB87Posted 11/9/2013 2:41:12 PM
There are cables on amazon that charge the Wii gamepad from the console, and I believe nyko has an official accessory that does that as well. I haven't tried either so I can't comment on if they work or not.

The only reason I can think of why they didn't include a cable to charge from the console is because they want people to charge while they are sitting on the couch and playing, or because the gamepad pulls too much power for a USB port.

Wired controllers are very annoying, its so easy to trip over the cord or if a pet or child runs through the house in front of the TV they can pull that cable out with force pretty quickly. Especially since the USB ports are on the back of the console.

Actually given Nintendo's track record of creating products that are overly safe they probably didn't create the cable we are talking about for those exactly reasons, because if someone pulled out the cable too hard or a pet ran through the room and pulled it out, and it damaged the Gamepad or the console that person would then blame Nintendo for not having a regular charger to charge the gamepad, since in that case the only option would be to charge from the console.
---
Nintendo 3DS friend code: 3926-4622-6128
#9VirtuaSnipaPosted 11/9/2013 2:45:15 PM
NovaLevossida posted...
VirtuaSnipa posted...
NovaLevossida posted...

I figured there was something up with the mechanics of it. Nintendo's usually the first to offer some peripheral, cable, or accessory before anyone else can. That's why I haven't ordered a third party cable; I didn't trust them since there wasn't an official one, and I supposed there wasn't an official one for good reason.

Then again, the Pro controller charges directly off the system, so without knowing the specifics of how the charging works, it just seems to me like the gamepad charging off USB would work but just at a slower charge rate.

The gamepad uses far more electricity than the pro controller at one time. If i would have to take a wild guess i would call it "inefficient" especially with how much the gamepad was intended to be passed around.