Why do people here call games with good stories "Movies"?

#1stalmasterPosted 11/10/2013 7:43:01 AM
Please. Try to explain why this is. It makes no sense. Is it that games aren't allowed to have good stories?
#2JobocanPosted 11/10/2013 7:46:43 AM
It's not about the stories, it's about how it's presented. A lot of games waste their time on pointless long and boring cinematics and have so little gameplay depth that they basically ARE just movies. And then there's games that are legitimately bad movies, like Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls.
---
www.vgcollect.com/jobocan - My Collection
#3FayeLadyPosted 11/10/2013 7:48:19 AM
People feel the need to attack things not intended for them. Just look at this board, and this site as a whole.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#4TransdudePosted 11/10/2013 7:54:44 AM(edited)
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/10695-Beyond-Two-Souls-vs-The-Stanley-Parable
---
Steam ID: jessegames1996 | 3DS FC: 2750-1600-2747 | NNID: Transdude1996 | Live GT: Transdude1996
http://www.youtube.com/user/transdude1996
#5BloodychessPosted 11/10/2013 8:02:08 AM
Lots of ambiguity to your question, no one is criticizing a game for having a good story like you're implying. Lots of people harp on games that decides to move the plot along through cut scenes, is that what you're talking about?

The whole point of a "game" is to play it. I realize that there will always be moments when the controller is out of your hands, but I'd much rather like to see the exposition and narratives integrated into the gameplay, not told to me through a torrent of cut scenes at the end of every level.

IF the story is that good, I honestly won't mind. But it's usually not
---
Give weeds an inch and they'll take a yard.
#6wugeezyPosted 11/10/2013 8:06:02 AM
Bloodychess posted...
Lots of ambiguity to your question, no one is criticizing a game for having a good story like you're implying. Lots of people harp on games that decides to move the plot along through cut scenes, is that what you're talking about?

The whole point of a "game" is to play it. I realize that there will always be moments when the controller is out of your hands, but I'd much rather like to see the exposition and narratives integrated into the gameplay, not told to me through a torrent of cut scenes at the end of every level.

IF the story is that good, I honestly won't mind. But it's usually not

This. Games like Dragon`s Lair with minimal player input remind me of DVD menus are were more of a novelty. So its surprising to see games come back to a similar style of gameplay.
#7iKhan88Posted 11/10/2013 8:06:28 AM
Because drones aren't okay with non-Nintendo games being good.
---
Any sig ideas?
#8REAL_kielbasaPosted 11/10/2013 8:11:41 AM
Nintendo's games have simple, childish stories with 1-dimensional characters. Therefore, Nintendo fans have to poop all over other games that actually try to tell a decent story.
---
Ponies GTFO
#9squatch22Posted 11/10/2013 8:12:39 AM
I guess its like how all Nintendo games are 'kiddy' according to certain ppl.
---
Nintendo FTW. Sonic Lost World is actually pretty good.
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#10TAoRPosted 11/10/2013 8:13:38 AM
I call it like I see it. Uncharted is a game. Heavy Rain and Beyond are interactive movies.