Eventually the WiiU won't be backwards compatible for Wii games.

#1shotgunheadshotPosted 11/10/2013 9:56:48 AM
I bought the Wii late a few years ago and mine can't play GameCube games. They took BC out to save money. So it will happen to WiiU for Wii games eventually. Maybe that's how a price drop will happen.
#2blinkfreakPosted 11/10/2013 10:02:11 AM
I would really doubt it. The Gamecube compatibility required hardware. The Wii BC on Wii U is 100% software emulation (to my knowledge at least). Them not including Wii BC would not save them money at all.
#3FuzzyJelloPosted 11/10/2013 10:12:19 AM
shotgunheadshot posted...
They took BC out to save money.

Or they ran out of parts.

blinkfreak posted...
The Wii BC on Wii U is 100% software emulation

We have no confirmation of this; if that is the case than yes, BC will probably remain for the system's life since there is no hard benefit in removing it.

But anyways, that's why you buy BC consoles; if you're able to order online (And it is an if) the 60-80 GB PS3s are really the only instance in which that should be at all difficult. It also means that Wii owners shouldn't be buying anything from the Wii Shop (Whoops), but its not a final problem.
#4DiscostewSMPosted 11/10/2013 10:38:23 AM
blinkfreak posted...
I would really doubt it. The Gamecube compatibility required hardware. The Wii BC on Wii U is 100% software emulation (to my knowledge at least). Them not including Wii BC would not save them money at all.

The CPU is backward compatible, and based on chip decapping, the Wii GPU serms to be integrated into the overall chip. Highly likely it is running under a hypervisor and not under software emulation (not to mention that the 100% backward compatibility is a good indication of not being software emulation).

As far as removing BC in later revisions, there is less reason to do so. The GC ports, imo, is the main reason for later Wiis lacking BC. Wii U has gone practically wireless and Wiimotes are not nearly as secondary as GC controllers were. In fact, they are essential for numerous games like Wii Sports Club and most multiplayer games.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#5LaManoNeraIIPosted 11/10/2013 10:42:59 AM
GC BC is a bit different because of disc size. The disc drive had to have extra components to orient the GC disc, which were removed in later Wii models
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
#6DeathSoul2000Posted 11/10/2013 10:45:39 AM
Wii U games use wiimotes. It would be triple stupid if Wii U could use all the accessories the Wii has, with no requirements like controller ports, but you can't use the games they were originally used with.
#7BloodychessPosted 11/10/2013 10:45:55 AM
FuzzyJello posted...
shotgunheadshot posted...
They took BC out to save money.

Or they ran out of parts.

So make more parts.

New consoles need to have an expanded library, so they include BC. Eventually, the library fills out so BC is phased out. It's business. Sony does it, Nintendo does it.
---
Give weeds an inch and they'll take a yard.
#8chris1001 the sequelPosted 11/10/2013 10:49:32 AM
Actually IIRC The GC compatibility wasn't removed from the console. What they did was remove the memory card slots and GC controller ports rendering them unplayable, but the Wii still recognized the games. Seeing as how the Wii U actually uses the Wiimotes and nunchucks as a primary control method rather than an occasional optional thing like GC controller use. At least from that end there's no point of removing compatibility.
---
Sign my petition to ban petitions. 528 signatures. http://www.petitiononline.com/1337cl/petition.html
#9FayeLadyPosted 11/10/2013 10:53:29 AM
Nintendo may not have a hardware related reason for removing BC, but its still likely they will remove it for the sake of selling more Wii U games. They'll make no money off of people playing older used Wii games on the system.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#10DTY3Posted 11/10/2013 11:53:27 AM
DeathSoul2000 posted...
Wii U games use wiimotes. It would be triple stupid if Wii U could use all the accessories the Wii has, with no requirements like controller ports, but you can't use the games they were originally used with.

Not a good argument considering that Wii games used GC controllers.
---
You know the gaming industry is **** when the biggest announcement is that a console can play used games and won't totally screw you over.