Should I get a WiiU or a Vita?

#11Neo_HeartlessPosted 11/14/2013 3:52:20 AM
CJXtreme posted...
Hmm I'm looking for some casual gaming, nothing too serious. I don't play FPS games either, if that helps. I own a PS3 (no plans on upgrading to PS4) as well, so I was wondering if the Vita was compatible with it.

I'm not sure how compatible the Vita is with the PS3, however, since all we hear on these forums is "why doesn't Nintendo have a unified account system like Sony?" I'm assuming your PSN id could be used on the Vita, and indeed there's some games on PSN you'd be able to play on both,

It's certainly a hard choice though. I mean for multiplats you have the PS3 which leaves Nintendo exclusives, and while they have been pretty good, you really need to think about it and decide if its what you want. We cannot decide for you, all we can give is biased advice.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]
#12CJXtreme(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2013 3:59:22 AM
Neo_Heartless posted...
CJXtreme posted...
Hmm I'm looking for some casual gaming, nothing too serious. I don't play FPS games either, if that helps. I own a PS3 (no plans on upgrading to PS4) as well, so I was wondering if the Vita was compatible with it.

I'm not sure how compatible the Vita is with the PS3, however, since all we hear on these forums is "why doesn't Nintendo have a unified account system like Sony?" I'm assuming your PSN id could be used on the Vita, and indeed there's some games on PSN you'd be able to play on both,

It's certainly a hard choice though. I mean for multiplats you have the PS3 which leaves Nintendo exclusives, and while they have been pretty good, you really need to think about it and decide if its what you want. We cannot decide for you, all we can give is biased advice.

Still, thanks a bunch guys. Really appreciate the advice.
---
Nice watch. Too bad you won't be able to tell the time after I break it. Your face that is.
3DS FC: 3265 5311 1255 (Do PM after adding me)
#13JackalPosted 11/14/2013 6:14:29 AM
Doesn't Vita TV launch in Japan today? Import one of those!
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz
#14FayeLadyPosted 11/14/2013 6:18:40 AM
Do you already have a PS3? If so then the third party offerings on the Wii U matter less and the first party offerings on the Vita matter less.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#15tuna-eggPosted 11/14/2013 6:30:26 AM
I have both a Vita and a Wii U.

They're both great little pieces of tech with their own distinct personalities. Ultimately, it depends on what games you want to play. I just want to add that the Vita being overpriced is, I think, a gross exaggeration. The Vita hasn't been overpriced since the price drop, and even if you take the price of memory cards in consideration, I think the Vita still offers a better value in terms of what you can do with it.

Vita isn't region-locked. Also, once you experience the smoothness of the Playstation ecosystem's unified account system, you can never go back to Nintendo's archaic online policies. Depending on which games you already have for your PS3, you may already have a considerable Vita backlog (especially with PS+). Yes, you can you use your PS3's PSN ID on your Vita, which I recommend to take advantage of all that Playstation has to offer. Cross-play and cross-buy are awesome value. PSN offers generous Steam-like sales regularly and often. Vita games drop in price quicker than Nintendo games so it's easier to build a library.

As for Wii U, if you haven't already had a Wii, I find it to be quite expensive because of all the accessories (which are optional, but you will want them for full functionality in games). A wii mote or two with nunchuk, a Pro Controller, a balance board if you're doing Wii Fit U, etc. Of course you don't have to buy them all but if you do, it'll cost you about a hundred dollars or so.

Where the Wii U shines is in the "Nintendo magic" which is what bought me into the console - games and experiences you can only get from Nintendo.
#16kazooie959Posted 11/14/2013 6:38:59 AM
I debated about a Vita for awhile...

I ended up upgrading my psp to a 3000 because I just couldn't find any way to justify getting a vita for the price and the lack of games that appeal to me since I could just use my ps3 for everything that I wanted...
---
I am the great Kazoo! FEAR THE FEATHERS!!!
3DS: 2793-1355-4534
#17kdognumba1Posted 11/14/2013 6:48:17 AM
CJXtreme posted...

TBH, this is a tough decision. You already own a 3DS which has both casual games and Japanese games. The question I guess is, do you want casual games to play local multiplayer or do you want Japanese games you can't get anywhere else?
---
http://backloggery.com/kdog254 http://www.twitch.tv/kdognumba1
3DS: 1676-3698-5986 PSN: jotaroxtreme NID/Ouya/XBL: kdog254 Steam: kdognumba1
#18desert_santaPosted 11/14/2013 6:58:31 AM
Really depends on what you already own. If you have a ps3/360, and have previously owned a psp or ps1/2, the vita does not really offer much. Then again if you prefer to play on the go a lot it's brilliant. Personally I play my handhelds at home more often than not.

I would like to get a vita eventually but I just feel it's a bit pricey for a system that doesn't scream many(if any)high quality exclusives for me(like the ouya, though I bought that eventually).

I'd say the wii u gets you better games. But I am only considering the present. In the future the wii u might go downhill now the ps4 and xbone are going to be released. The vita might very well get more exclusive titles with the vita tv coming out. Who can tell?
#19aluminafalconPosted 11/14/2013 7:27:50 AM
CJXtreme posted...
TalentedM posted...
CJXtreme posted...

On the go or at home?

Because they both have different functions.

I mostly play my games at home, even if they are handhelds.

Go with the Wii u. The remote play feature of the ps4 is running into problems due to lack of triggers and analog stick buttons. Plus Wii u has the best portable/ tablet/ console web browser available. Throw in Nintendo first party games plus Wii back catalog( which can be played awkwardly on the gamepad) its the better deal long run.
---
fc 2279 7884 6593
#20JurassicBondPosted 11/14/2013 8:00:52 AM(edited)
I don't regret getting the Vita, but so far all my favorite Vita games except for Gravity Rush and LittleBigPlanet have been games which are available on PS3 or some other system. Now, this doesn't bother me so much since I travel a lot for work and the Vita has given me a chance to play some games I might not would have had time for, but if I didn't do the traveling, I think I'd be a lot more disappointed.

I haven't played enough of the Wii U to make a good judgement. I've only had it for less than 2 weeks and haven't even finished New Super Mario Bros U which is the first game I've played. Right now it looks like I'll enjoy the games more than what's on the Vita, but that there's also less original content that I'm interested in (this is hard to judge though because I don't always keep up with what's a port or not on the Vita). On the other hand, my Wii for some reason was incompatible with my larger HDTV, but Wii mode on the Wii U runs great, so that alone makes it worth the purchase for me.
---
Reading: The Death of Ivan Ilyich and Other Stories - Leo Tolstoy
http://i.imgur.com/AUbFA.jpg http://i.imgur.com/nYklT.jpg