Believe it or not, I still must keep my Wii & GC around even with the WiiU

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Believe it or not, I still must keep my Wii & GC around even with the WiiU

User Info: Estil

Estil
3 years ago#1
Like a lot of gamers I'm hoping that Santa (or in my case Mrs. Claus; my wife) might get me a WiiU for Christmas this year. Now you might be thinking that should I get one, I guess that means I no longer need my Wii since the WiiU plays Wii games just as good right?

Well, not quite. See my GC-ready Wii (which my wife got for me for Christmas in 2008) plays Wii games even better in one key sense. Because it's GC ready, I have the option on some key Wii games (such as Mario Kart Wii and Smash Bros Brawl) of using a GC controller (and for me personally its quite ideal for Mario Kart Wii; especially if one is experienced in Double Dash). Not only that, but on N64 Virtual Console games you have the option of using a GC controller which is ideal for the N64 Zelda games. Which obviously you can't do any of those things on the WiiU.

So if my Wii is fully GC-ready, that means no need for a GC right? Not so fast. Only with an actual GC can you use the Game Boy Player, and I love being able to do GB/GBC/GBA games on the TV.

So even with the WiiU, I still must keep a separate Wii and a separate GC hooked up for the above reasons. Anyone else here have to do the same?
"Why a numeric keypad!? This is a video game controller, not a phone!!"
--Angry Video Game Nerd regarding the Intellivision controller

User Info: JurassicBond

JurassicBond
3 years ago#2
I thought about it, but I just decided to get rid of my Gamecube and play GBA games through "other methods." Hopefully Nintendo follows through with their promise to put GBA games on the Wii U eshop and/or puts them on the 3DS.
Reading: The Death of Ivan Ilyich and Other Stories - Leo Tolstoy
http://i.imgur.com/AUbFA.jpg http://i.imgur.com/nYklT.jpg

Estil
3 years ago#3
You mean like how the Wii when it started out made this big deal about playing retro games on the Virtual Console...when even the "big three" (NES/SNES/GEN) only got about 10% of its library up by the time the Wii was retired? And lets not forget the games that were TAKEN AWAY.

I just hope and pray the WiiU/3DS doesn't go to the "dark side" and ever decide later to quit doing disc versions of their games. Because being able to truly collect the games as a hobby is important to me. And just a list of files you downloaded just doesn't cut it.

Estil
3 years ago#4
Also if I do indeed get a WiiU for Christmas, should I indeed do that Wii transfer stuff or not?
(message deleted)

Estil
3 years ago#6
Can you play actual GBA cartridges or just silly fake roms?
(message deleted)

User Info: CoorsDrinker

CoorsDrinker
3 years ago#8
Estil posted...
Like a lot of gamers I'm hoping that Santa (or in my case Mrs. Claus; my wife) might get me a WiiU for Christmas this year. Now you might be thinking that should I get one, I guess that means I no longer need my Wii since the WiiU plays Wii games just as good right?

Well, not quite. See my GC-ready Wii (which my wife got for me for Christmas in 2008) plays Wii games even better in one key sense. Because it's GC ready, I have the option on some key Wii games (such as Mario Kart Wii and Smash Bros Brawl) of using a GC controller (and for me personally its quite ideal for Mario Kart Wii; especially if one is experienced in Double Dash). Not only that, but on N64 Virtual Console games you have the option of using a GC controller which is ideal for the N64 Zelda games. Which obviously you can't do any of those things on the WiiU.

So if my Wii is fully GC-ready, that means no need for a GC right? Not so fast. Only with an actual GC can you use the Game Boy Player, and I love being able to do GB/GBC/GBA games on the TV.

So even with the WiiU, I still must keep a separate Wii and a separate GC hooked up for the above reasons. Anyone else here have to do the same?

This is the most important news on the planet. Please keep me up-to-date on your very important decision.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Believe it or not, I still must keep my Wii & GC around even with the WiiU

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived