Believe it or not, I still must keep my Wii & GC around even with the WiiU

#1EstilPosted 11/14/2013 6:45:48 AM
Like a lot of gamers I'm hoping that Santa (or in my case Mrs. Claus; my wife) might get me a WiiU for Christmas this year. Now you might be thinking that should I get one, I guess that means I no longer need my Wii since the WiiU plays Wii games just as good right?

Well, not quite. See my GC-ready Wii (which my wife got for me for Christmas in 2008) plays Wii games even better in one key sense. Because it's GC ready, I have the option on some key Wii games (such as Mario Kart Wii and Smash Bros Brawl) of using a GC controller (and for me personally its quite ideal for Mario Kart Wii; especially if one is experienced in Double Dash). Not only that, but on N64 Virtual Console games you have the option of using a GC controller which is ideal for the N64 Zelda games. Which obviously you can't do any of those things on the WiiU.

So if my Wii is fully GC-ready, that means no need for a GC right? Not so fast. Only with an actual GC can you use the Game Boy Player, and I love being able to do GB/GBC/GBA games on the TV.

So even with the WiiU, I still must keep a separate Wii and a separate GC hooked up for the above reasons. Anyone else here have to do the same?
---
"Why a numeric keypad!? This is a video game controller, not a phone!!"
--Angry Video Game Nerd regarding the Intellivision controller
#2JurassicBondPosted 11/14/2013 6:50:37 AM
I thought about it, but I just decided to get rid of my Gamecube and play GBA games through "other methods." Hopefully Nintendo follows through with their promise to put GBA games on the Wii U eshop and/or puts them on the 3DS.
---
Reading: The Death of Ivan Ilyich and Other Stories - Leo Tolstoy
http://i.imgur.com/AUbFA.jpg http://i.imgur.com/nYklT.jpg
#3Estil(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2013 7:11:19 AM
You mean like how the Wii when it started out made this big deal about playing retro games on the Virtual Console...when even the "big three" (NES/SNES/GEN) only got about 10% of its library up by the time the Wii was retired? And lets not forget the games that were TAKEN AWAY.

I just hope and pray the WiiU/3DS doesn't go to the "dark side" and ever decide later to quit doing disc versions of their games. Because being able to truly collect the games as a hobby is important to me. And just a list of files you downloaded just doesn't cut it.
---
#4Estil(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2013 6:15:22 PM
Also if I do indeed get a WiiU for Christmas, should I indeed do that Wii transfer stuff or not?
---
#5Artillatron7Posted 11/16/2013 6:19:05 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#6Estil(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2013 6:20:40 PM
Can you play actual GBA cartridges or just silly fake roms?
---
#7Artillatron7Posted 11/16/2013 6:23:19 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#8CoorsDrinkerPosted 11/16/2013 6:23:44 PM
Estil posted...
Like a lot of gamers I'm hoping that Santa (or in my case Mrs. Claus; my wife) might get me a WiiU for Christmas this year. Now you might be thinking that should I get one, I guess that means I no longer need my Wii since the WiiU plays Wii games just as good right?

Well, not quite. See my GC-ready Wii (which my wife got for me for Christmas in 2008) plays Wii games even better in one key sense. Because it's GC ready, I have the option on some key Wii games (such as Mario Kart Wii and Smash Bros Brawl) of using a GC controller (and for me personally its quite ideal for Mario Kart Wii; especially if one is experienced in Double Dash). Not only that, but on N64 Virtual Console games you have the option of using a GC controller which is ideal for the N64 Zelda games. Which obviously you can't do any of those things on the WiiU.

So if my Wii is fully GC-ready, that means no need for a GC right? Not so fast. Only with an actual GC can you use the Game Boy Player, and I love being able to do GB/GBC/GBA games on the TV.

So even with the WiiU, I still must keep a separate Wii and a separate GC hooked up for the above reasons. Anyone else here have to do the same?

This is the most important news on the planet. Please keep me up-to-date on your very important decision.