3rd party games can't seem to hold my attention as long as Nintendo games?

#1Soccer_is_BestPosted 11/16/2013 9:08:47 PM
It feels a little weird, but when I try to play a "realistic game" like Assassins Creed 3, I do get engrossed and involved in the game, but I can't help but feel like I am missing something...something that I can only get from Nintendo games. Maybe it's the splash of color, or whimsical music. It just feels as though in 3rd party games that take the "mature, realistic, gritty" approach, something is lost there. Even though I get engrossed in a game like Assassin's Creed, it doesn't even compare to how engrossed I get in a game like Mario Galaxy or Skyward Sword.

I guess it really is true, Nintendo really has that "magic spark" in their games.

Anyone else feel the same?
---
3DS FC: 1075-0785-5409
Can't wait for Nintendo's new Wii U and 3DS games coming out soon.
#2jrb363Posted 11/16/2013 11:00:27 PM
Soccer_is_Best posted...
It feels a little weird, but when I try to play a "realistic game" like Assassins Creed 3, I do get engrossed and involved in the game, but I can't help but feel like I am missing something...something that I can only get from Nintendo games. Maybe it's the splash of color, or whimsical music. It just feels as though in 3rd party games that take the "mature, realistic, gritty" approach, something is lost there. Even though I get engrossed in a game like Assassin's Creed, it doesn't even compare to how engrossed I get in a game like Mario Galaxy or Skyward Sword.

I guess it really is true, Nintendo really has that "magic spark" in their games.

Anyone else feel the same?

I do. Sega used to have the same magic when they were developing for their own consoles. :'-( I miss the old Sega. *runs away sobbing*
---
GwynsSonSolaire posted...
Personally i prefer 720p. 1080p is just too many pixels
#3ChipChippersonPosted 11/16/2013 11:03:57 PM
It's very rare that I get truly compelled by a game, the only examples I can name offhand from the past few years are Mass Effect, the Assassins Creed series, and Fallout 3/New Vegas. While I do think there is a certain ''magic'' in Nintendo's titles I'm not sucked into them any more than most other games.
---
We got no food, no jobs... our PETS' HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!
#4NekoSushiRiotPosted 11/16/2013 11:05:50 PM
I tried playing stuff like Assassin's Creed, RAGE, Borderlands and Gears of War. They seem to lack anything really special ):
---
kukingina2 on Wii U board: "Xenoblade was overrated and terrible."
#5CcroybbPosted 11/16/2013 11:08:33 PM
I almost feel the opposite. I used to be a Nintendo-only gamer, only playing stuff like Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. They were great, and I never grew tired of them. Then I started plating other games outside of the usual Nintendo franchises like Xenoblade Chronicles, Tales of the Abyss, Resident Evil: Revelations, and Shin Megami Tensei IV. I was so addicted by these games that these days I'm more interested in third-party games rather than Nintendo games.
---
RIJ - Atlus - 9/17/13
#6PUNCHOUT1116Posted 11/16/2013 11:16:58 PM
Completely agree TC.

I'm not sure what it is about Nintendos games, but you generally want to replay them throughout the years. You'll end up trading in quite a few games from high profile franchises over the years, but hardly ever Nintendo games.

I feel the same way as you TC, but I honestly can't put my finger on exactly why Nintendos games just feel "different" than anything else :/
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#7userfrigginamePosted 11/16/2013 11:33:24 PM(edited)
I feel somewhat the same way for plenty of Nintendo games (especially Smash and Kart), on top of sports games. Sure, plenty of games I've played have great campaigns/story modes, but I just don't buy into trophies/achievements, and most games give me little reason to play through again or collect things in an open world environment. But RPGs are usually an exception, since their stories are usually pretty long, and collecting and side-quests are usually more fun for me.
#8DesertLynx83Posted 11/16/2013 11:37:38 PM
At E3, someone from Nintendo (I think Iwata) said that developers should make better games if they're worried about used sales. Look at Nintendo games. Most take a long while to drop in used price. With other third party games, they drop within a week or two.
#9LaManoNeraIIPosted 11/16/2013 11:43:55 PM
Because most third parties design gameplay around story telling or graphical systems. Nintendo games are designed from the beginning as games.
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
#10donkeyjackPosted 11/17/2013 12:04:01 AM
LaManoNeraII posted...
Because most third parties design gameplay around story telling or graphical systems. Nintendo games are designed from the beginning as games.

GTA didn't.
---
"Live on the run police paying me to give in my gun/Trick the wisdom with the system that imprisoned my son." - Nas Esco Circa '95