Do you use GameFly?

#1dirtyblacksocksPosted 11/20/2013 4:32:51 PM
What do you think about it? Is it worth the monthly fee?

Do they charge retail price if you decide you want to buy a game you've rented, or is it significantly cheaper?

What systems do you own?
#2MechaKoopa5000Posted 11/20/2013 4:57:04 PM
Been using it for over 5 years. Well worth it. And no, sometimes you can "keep" games for dirt cheap. Often 30 or less. I rented RE6 on 360 and kept it for less than $2. They ship the box/instructions when you keep a game.
---
http://i.imgur.com/yMd60gh.jpg
#3hyperdimeduckPosted 11/20/2013 5:16:56 PM
Yes. It's alright, a lot of the time they never have the games I want to play though. Never got to try Xneosaga or Soul Nomad and the World Eaters yet.
---
3DS FC: 4682-8590-2294 NNID: AnimeFan12
Official Kintoki-Douji and Isabeau of the SMT 4 boards
#4deathwave21Posted 11/20/2013 5:29:42 PM
Renting games is only for children who only play-to-beat (not 100%, or online) and then never play a game again. In order to reap any benefit from the service you must rent the max, send one game back a day, and order another immediately. It is for kids who have 10-12 hours a day to play video games. If you only play crappy games, then GameFly is for you.

I personally prefer to own games and play them over and over whenever I wish. I would not want to wait to play "X" game and then have to rush through it so I can order "Z" game, while I wait for "Y" game to become available. I hord my games and don't like to share them, and feel wierd playing someone else's game. It's like wearing someone else's underwear. Not to mention it is most certainly a rip off.
---
Do you want to go to college for free? Go Marines!
#5dirtyblacksocks(Topic Creator)Posted 11/20/2013 5:43:12 PM
deathwave21 posted...
Renting games is only for children who only play-to-beat (not 100%, or online) and then never play a game again. In order to reap any benefit from the service you must rent the max, send one game back a day, and order another immediately. It is for kids who have 10-12 hours a day to play video games. If you only play crappy games, then GameFly is for you.

I personally prefer to own games and play them over and over whenever I wish. I would not want to wait to play "X" game and then have to rush through it so I can order "Z" game, while I wait for "Y" game to become available. I hord my games and don't like to share them, and feel wierd playing someone else's game. It's like wearing someone else's underwear. Not to mention it is most certainly a rip off.

Please explain how it's a rip off?

I'm a 31 year old Disabled Veteran, I go to college and train dogs for a living - and I make very good money doing it - because of that line of work I've got roughly 7-8 hours of free time a day before most people even get off work, but I don't necessarily spend it all gaming, unless I find a game that engrosses me that much.

Anyway, how is GameFly only for people who play crappy games, and how is it a rip off?
#6dirtyblacksocks(Topic Creator)Posted 11/20/2013 5:44:44 PM
MechaKoopa5000 posted...
Been using it for over 5 years. Well worth it. And no, sometimes you can "keep" games for dirt cheap. Often 30 or less. I rented RE6 on 360 and kept it for less than $2. They ship the box/instructions when you keep a game.

So do they list how much a game is to "keep" when you rent it initially, or is that something you find out when you decide you want to keep it? How does that work?

Are most of their games cheaper than a used game would be at Gamestop/EB Games?

Do you think there is any merit to paying for the service that lets you rent 2 games at a time, or is 1 game at a time really enough in the long run of things?
#7XechsPosted 11/20/2013 5:52:09 PM
Honestly the service is deal or dealbreaker depending how fast their shipping is to your area and how often you will use the service. It gets pretty costly to have higher tier plans. Also dependent on type of gamer you are too, if you play a lot of short campaigns it could be good but if you play long single player, rpgs or online it can slowly become a sour deal. Plus they are good during peak seasons but during drought seasons if you don't have backlogue you are essentially wasting money on the service.

I quit the service because of shipping and most games after a month you can get fairly cheap. hell even amazon $40 on release day or steam 40% off pre-orders day one kills a lot of the benefits. Also for short games I just redbox the games now. I rather pay $4 for a 2 nights once in awhile then to be tied down with monthly fee that I won't use often. But then Again I'm tied down with RPGs or online games and I don't have backlogue really.

But really the shipping is deal breaker because it dictates what plans you need. Also you just kinda have to try it out because it's varying in service depending on area.
---
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/1198847692478tg1.gif
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/rankastar.gif Ranka-Macross Frontier
#8Falling DownPosted 11/20/2013 5:52:29 PM
I hated it, I had a list of 6 games I wanted to try and signed up for the free month, took about 4 days for me to get the game. Beat it in two days (batman arkym asylum) shipped it back and about 9 days later got my next game. The turn around was way to slow, only got to try 3 games the whole month because of the turn around, and every game was unavailable so I tried random games (3d dot heroes and some lotr game). Netflix got new stuff to me in half the time.

Obviously if you play and enjoy 1 game every month it is worth it but if you go through them fast like I do it is not as helpful as I would like.
---
DOOD!!! ~Prinnies
#9ninjaa1Posted 11/20/2013 5:53:08 PM
Well I can kind of see his point, I had gamefly once and all the good games were rented out. I however did rent fallout 3 back in 08, one of my favorite games ever on a free trial. I sent them back AC 2 I think or was it 1? And told them I got the wrong game via email and they apoligized. Was totally worth it in my opinion at the time this 2 week trial. Butyeah I think its also cool to own games. At times when I could have easily found a free way to play games online I wanted, I didn't.
#10MechaKoopa5000Posted 11/20/2013 5:59:15 PM
dirtyblacksocks posted...
MechaKoopa5000 posted...

So do they list how much a game is to "keep" when you rent it initially, or is that something you find out when you decide you want to keep it? How does that work?

Are most of their games cheaper than a used game would be at Gamestop/EB Games?

Do you think there is any merit to paying for the service that lets you rent 2 games at a time, or is 1 game at a time really enough in the long run of things?

I only do the one game at a time option. As soon as they ship a game, if it's available to keep, it'll show you how much it costs.

They usually have the games I want. I buy a lot if games that I KNOW I'll like and use gamefly for games I'm not 100% sold on. Sometimes I love the games and keep them, sometimes I don't like the game at all so I'm very happy I only rented it.

I've had Sonic Lost World out for a while. Def returning it. Not liking it, but glad to have sampled most of it.
---
http://i.imgur.com/yMd60gh.jpg