What happend to developers being innovative?

#1HackoDisPosted 11/24/2013 12:55:23 AM
It seems to me game play has become all about the graphics. Was just reading an article saying so many companies don't want to develop for the wii u because of the hardware. I think it looks like a fantastic system, it has backwards compatibility which is a big plus for me. I wish developers would be more innovative and come up with some neat ideas for games. I can think of a few ideas for some games but sadly i'm not a developer.
#2Snow-DustPosted 11/24/2013 1:11:19 AM
I know what you mean, sadly the only innovation these days are from Indie games
#3UponADarkThornePosted 11/24/2013 1:27:52 AM
I'll be honest. I don't think very many gamers really want innovation and at this point without doing something that's sort of obscure, I don't think its necessary for the industry to prosper. What would you rather play; a game that did something new but did so with mixed results or a game that is like an old favorite, but polished to perfection? I know I'd want the later.

The real issue with these expensive, AAA productions isn't that they lack innovation; its that some of them lack quality. Many titles aren't inherently bad but have been done, better, in the past and only have their visuals going for them.
---
3DS Friend Code: 2680-9395-3914; NNID: MisterNoOne
Friend Safari (Dragon): Fraxure, Noibat, Sliggoo
#4CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 11/24/2013 1:32:09 AM
Games are too expensive, and are published across too many platforms.

Thats really all there is too it.

I expect an upheaval this gen.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#5mario_potPosted 11/24/2013 1:35:35 AM
Console games are just a hugely different space I know a few developers from the playstation era and the stuff they say about the difficulty and expenses with bringing a game to consoles just makes it a difficult business venture. Add into that the modern publishers who may not have traditional game industry backgrounds and expect only certain properties and types of games to make a significant amount of money and really you get the formula for why innovation is great for games but extremely risky for publishers.

One of my favorite stories came from a guy I knew who worked on a few sports titles published by Ubisoft back in the day and how in a basketball game the main executives overseeing it didn't know what a fast real was which for a fast paced basketball series is like not knowing what an interception is but being a primary financial contributor to madden.

It's just a lot of factors that make it hard to be innovative on the modern consoles from a financialmperspective not to mention I heard Nintendo is very chooses about who it offers development kits.
---
Are you living or just breathing to death ?
#6googlerPosted 11/24/2013 1:54:36 AM
Snow-Dust posted...
I know what you mean, sadly the only innovation these days are from Indie games

is there really?...most indie games just seem like (in most instances) throwbacks to stuff from 20 years ago or flash games just better evolved for mobile platforms with the openness of consoles a bonus with how accessible the tools are to everyone now.
I on the other hand ****Ing hate indie games and have yet to find on that's fun for more than a minute
#7plasmatic5Posted 11/24/2013 1:55:25 AM
CHAINMAILLEKID posted...
Games are too expensive, and are published across too many platforms.

Thats really all there is too it.

I expect an upheaval this gen.

Actually...this is incorrect. Many game publishers choose to make games too expensive with the thought that it will pay off and make them more money. It's high risk high reward thinking. They also think that by making a game be available on as many consoles as they can, they will increase their sales. So what you get is a developer who is forced/(sometimes)chooses to develop a game that is more expensive that it needs to be. This then forces them to develop it for as many systems as they can get away with. This then prevents multi-platform games to fully utilize a system's controls (Kinnect, Wii U Gamepad/Wiimotes, PS Move, etc), which then limits the amount of creativity that can be put into the game's controls.

And that's just for innovation with controls and HOW you game, but this also ties into why you don't often see many innovative games in terms of gameplay. Because the game is so expensive to make, developers can't take as many risks. They basically force themselves (or are forced by the publisher) to make a game that's been made before because we know that that game sells. So if the developer makes another one of those games, it has a much higher chance to sell. Quite frankly, innovative games with innovative gameplay do not generally sell incredibly well. They might sell well enough depending on the cost of the game, but they generally don't sell a ridiculous amount of copies.

So in the end, the reason we don't see innovation is because developers choose to go with the AAA high risk high reward game model. There are games that don't follow this model that sell incredibly well.

Look at Fire Emblem: Awakening. The game sold extremely well for a Fire Emblem game. The game sold rougly 1 million units worldwide. For a AAA game, that would have been completely awful. The company would not have made their money back. But for a more cheaply made game, 1 million copies is fantastic. They made their money back and made a profit. The smaller model doesn't require as many copies making it actually easier to sell. It just means you probably won't have such a high cap on the amount of money you could make. There are other games like Fire Emblem that didn't cost as much to make, so they sold well enough. I'm just using that as an example because it's pretty recent.
---
The problem with trolls is that you can't logic with them. The same goes for idiots.
#8HackoDis(Topic Creator)Posted 11/24/2013 12:05:15 PM
When i saw the Wii U i was excited it has so many possibilities for awesome gameplay. If rare was still around they would be coming out so many cool little games for the console. They could make strategy games rpgs fps adventure games etc work very well with the console / controller. Just like Bluray disc do they even utilize the size of the disk to make massive open world games, nope just make them pretty.
#9cavebear56Posted 11/24/2013 12:30:11 PM
UponADarkThorne posted...
I'll be honest. I don't think very many gamers really want innovation and at this point without doing something that's sort of obscure, I don't think its necessary for the industry to prosper. What would you rather play; a game that did something new but did so with mixed results or a game that is like an old favorite, but polished to perfection? I know I'd want the later.

The real issue with these expensive, AAA productions isn't that they lack innovation; its that some of them lack quality. Many titles aren't inherently bad but have been done, better, in the past and only have their visuals going for them.

How about both? Why can't old formulas innovate? How else will we have new old favorites if we don't have innovation?

It's a balancing act. I enjoy both for similar and different reasons.

They don't innovate for a variety of reasons. From lack of talent, larger risks, more cost and it's easier to copy than to create.

Disagree about AAA. It's the perfect example of why games need to innovate and not just update. That doesn't mean something wacky it just means actually add or flesh something out to new levels.

I feel that the quality is there in them. They just lack the execution and innovation to make them something more than a better looking sequel or flavour of the week
---
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.