Do people generally trade in old console for new console or keep old ones also?

#1EstilPosted 11/24/2013 9:36:56 PM
In light of all the hoopla regarding the inaguration of the PS4 and X1 (and WiiU last year) to begin the 8th generation of video gaming (where does the time go???) I was just curious about what gamers generally do regarding their previous console/games. I'm well aware of how GameStop and other game retailers (if there are any) offer big promotions regarding trading in your previous console/software towards the purchase of the new one. Obviously I know there are gamers who do this sort of thing and don't even give it a second thought.

But aren't there other gamers (like myself) who think its wiser to keep their previous system(s)/games and continue to also enjoy them too just as they always have? I don't know about the rest of you but even though I have SEVEN consoles hooked up to my TV, I don't know how I could live (in the gamer sense I mean) without any of them:

NES (top loader)
SNES
N64
GC (for Game Boy Player)
Wii (GC-ready)
GEN1 (w/ Power Base Convertor II and Sega CD)
PS2 slim
PS3 cecha (I use this on our main living room TV so me and my wife can play certain games together too)

Obviously I know what works for me but I'm just curious what the trend is among gamers overall.
---
"Why a numeric keypad!? This is a video game controller, not a phone!!"
--Angry Video Game Nerd regarding the Intellivision controller
#2picanoPosted 11/24/2013 9:38:53 PM
I've never traded in or sold a console.

Though, I did give away my gamecube to a friend as it was no longer necessary (thanks to the Wii).
---
3D and catgirls! : http://picanogfx.unotaku.com/
#3Estil(Topic Creator)Posted 11/24/2013 9:41:14 PM
Well in my case (as you can see) I still need my GC. And when it comes time to get the WiiU (someday) I'll still need to keep the regular Wii because Mario Kart Wii (and I'm sure others) let you use a GC controller...and for that game and others that's quite a handy feature!
---
#4Killingjoke_666Posted 11/24/2013 9:49:58 PM
Definitely I have a ton of consoles hooked up to my tvs. Too many games not to.
---
Otto: Wow! I had Mustard?!
#5STN79Posted 11/24/2013 9:50:32 PM
I still have every one of my Nintendo consoles since the day i got them. Even my original Nes that i got for Christmas 1985. Still works too! I did give away my PS1 though just because i got a PS2 and there wasn't much point in keeping a system that is basically a PS1/PS2 combo.
---
It is artists, not technicians, who make excellent games. "Hiroshi yamauchi"
#6a_fartn_SpartanPosted 11/24/2013 9:52:55 PM
I traded my Wii in because I have a Gamecube and Wii U. I traded my DS lite in because I have a GBA and 3DS. When stuff is backwards compatible, I see no point keep the old systems.
---
Battletoads, Killer Instinct, GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, DK Country, Diddy Racing, Banjo, Conker.
Rare, you will be missed.
#7a_fartn_SpartanPosted 11/24/2013 9:57:03 PM
Estil posted...
Well in my case (as you can see) I still need my GC. And when it comes time to get the WiiU (someday) I'll still need to keep the regular Wii because Mario Kart Wii (and I'm sure others) let you use a GC controller...and for that game and others that's quite a handy feature!

I forgot about that, but I guess anyone wanting to play Smash Bros or Mario Kart will just have to tough it out. Hopefully the next Smash and Kart will be so good you'll never want to play the Wii ones anyway. I feel like both of those were the worst in each respective series anyway, and from what we've seen so far I'd say MK8 and SSB4 will pass their predecessors in quality and fun.

Thundercloud and tripping? No thanks. Better online and HD graphics? I think there will be a clear winner here.
---
Battletoads, Killer Instinct, GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, DK Country, Diddy Racing, Banjo, Conker.
Rare, you will be missed.
#8Estil(Topic Creator)Posted 11/24/2013 10:05:52 PM
Oh I don't know about that...I just recently got in the mood to do some Time Trials on ALL of the Mario Kart games (I got 'em all except MK7). Why would I "not" want to play Mario Kart Wii? As for Smash Bros, won't they each have different sets of trophies? I only wish the original N64 one thought of that idea...I would've liked to have seen what N64 style trophies would've looked like.
---
#9ChipChippersonPosted 11/24/2013 10:39:01 PM
I trade in. The only consoles I still have from the past few years are the PS2 and Wii; there's simply nothing on the PS360 that I miss having. I only have so much room and I had to trim the fat.
---
We got no food, no jobs... our PETS' HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!
#10AlphrinPosted 11/25/2013 12:20:40 AM
I keep all my consoles. Particularly Nintendo and Sega ones, because I'm nostalgic like that.

Also, I prefer playing gamecube games on a gamecube the because I hate dealing with menu screens.
---
I've decided not to have a signature.