What's the deal with using sales in discussion?

#1CharskiPosted 11/25/2013 12:33:41 AM
If you're into playing the stock market I guess that'd be fine, but in general game discussion? I have little to no knowledge of how the industry work, and I'm okay with that. The Wii U is still an enjoyable console, but I don't see why you should be bothered if its selling or not. I still like the Vita, even when it's not selling well. I still love the Dreamcast, even after it was discontinued. The GameCube was also fun to play, but it had low sales still. Does low sales make it a bad console? Not really. I believe it had some of Nintendo's best games on there, like Metroid Prime, Smash Bros. Melee, and Eternal Darkness.

I'm probably going to get myself a new one for this, or that someone is going to call me a fanboy or something, but when you like a game or a console that's okay. A company's concerns shouldn't be your concerns, only if you're somehow involved in the market. I just don't see why some people will flip out or go completely agitated when it comes to sales or the market.
#2ChipChippersonPosted 11/25/2013 12:36:51 AM
My interest in sales only goes as far as hoping it sells well enough to continue being supported. Anything other than that is just a peeing contest.
---
We got no food, no jobs... our PETS' HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!
#3NovaLevossidaPosted 11/25/2013 12:42:11 AM
Sales directly affect a lot of categories including how many people are playing online in your online titles and also how much third party support you can expect.
---
I think the launch of other video game systems is also good for us - Iwata of Nintendo
the playstation 2 sure helped dreamcast - magemaximus
#4nestankPosted 11/25/2013 12:48:31 AM
They are just losers.

They are failures in life so they have to feel like they are winning by beating video games, and by acting like there chosen company is winning.

Yet in the real world they are average losers....
#5brutalhitsPosted 11/25/2013 12:52:36 AM(edited)
The gamecube was one of the best consoles >.< Better than the PS2 that sold extremely well in my opinion. The gamecube has a lot more games that age well, the PS2 every game on there has basically been replaced with a better game for PS3. (With the exception of final fantasy...but lets not talk about that..)
#6fuzi11Posted 11/25/2013 1:02:31 AM
brutalhits posted...
The gamecube was one of the best consoles >.< Better than the PS2 that sold extremely well in my opinion. The gamecube has a lot more games that age well, the PS2 every game on there has basically been replaced with a better game for PS3. (With the exception of final fantasy...but lets not talk about that..)

not really, I only had like 6 gamecube games. And I pretty much only played Smash Bros on it. I had much more games (and fun?) with SNES, N64, Wii, and currently Wii U, GB and 3DS. If it weren't for Smash I wouldn't even have owned one.
#7nestankPosted 11/25/2013 1:08:35 AM
"The gamecube was one of the best consoles"

Hahahahaahaahahaa um no. GC is nintendos worst or 2nd worst. (GC or Wii)

I'm sorry you're too young to be around for the NES,SNES and N64 but don't go talking crap.
#8Emperor_ZPosted 11/25/2013 1:10:16 AM
More sales results in more activity. More games and a livelier community for those games.
#9SpongeBob_SPPosted 11/25/2013 1:33:39 AM
Fanboys probably use sales numbers as an objective confirmation of the 'superiority' of their system of choice. Arguments over which system is better are completely illogical, due to the subjective nature of the hobby.
#10darkjedilinkPosted 11/25/2013 2:03:41 AM
SpongeBob_SP posted...
Fanboys probably use sales numbers as an objective confirmation of the 'superiority' of their system of choice. Arguments over which system is better are completely illogical, due to the subjective nature of the hobby.

Close, but not quite.

Until recently, sales numbers determined the de-facto winner of a console generation. NES won, because it outsold all competitors. SNES won, because it outsold all competitors. PS1 won, because it outsold all competitors. PS2 won, because it outsold all competitors. It isn't until the Wii won that things changed.

You see, the PS3 fanboys were riding high after Sony winning two straight console generations, and winning them handily. They were CERTAIN that, with the PS3 being (at least on paper) the most powerful console available, they'd be able to keep riding that wave of success. When they not only ended up relegated to dead last in the gen, it was a huge kick in the teeth. Not just that, though - oh, no! They were beat by the Wii, which wasn't much more than an slightly upgraded GameCube! That just DESTROYED everything that made them believe in the PS3 to begin with!

On top of that, the 360, a console that (again, on paper) wasn't as powerful as the PS3 HAD SO MANY BETTER-LOOKING GAMES. Almost every third-party multiplat released on the two consoles was clearly superior on the 360.

All of this led Sony fanboys to try and change the definition of how a console won a generation. All of a sudden, they started talking about "shovelware," even though the PS2 had significantly more of it (which they flat-out denied or ignored), Or they'd bring up McDonalds or Justin Bieber, to try and kill the sales argument THEY SUPPORTED FOR TWO WHOLE GENERATIONS, and which they still use NOW, trying to claim that the PS4 or Xbox One is better because of their launch sales (ignoring the fact that launch sales for the Wii U were about the same).
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie