Why is region lock THAT big of a deal?

#1PedrotacopacoPosted 11/30/2013 11:24:31 PM
I can understand if you want a game and it isn't localized, but is it really as big of a deal as people are making it out to be? (Not tryin to start an argument between those thT care and don't btw)
#2Veemon_XPosted 11/30/2013 11:31:49 PM
If you're an importer of the games that don't get localized, sure. You're probably gonna get obvious, but justified answers. Importing a system to play a game can be inconvenient. I guess there is "modding", but I would never touch that stuff myself because I don't feel comfortable being afraid of screwing up the system.
---
Wonderful! Time for a celebration... Cheese for everyone! ~Sheogorath
#3jb08045Posted 11/30/2013 11:32:09 PM
yes because nintendont wont let me give me money to other countries and buy their games without buy a new system

xbone and ps4 don't even have region lock, so why Nintendo?

and i want those unlocalized game that Nintendo wont bring over because they are too busy playing everyone's mommy and daddy
---
3ds - 1118-0350-6268
Watch me set my 360 on fire - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6iPJKQPSwE
#4aiyobroPosted 11/30/2013 11:34:58 PM
It shouldn't be but when a game gets release in PAL and not NA its a face palm definitely
#5NickTheBlitzPosted 11/30/2013 11:37:48 PM(edited)
Truth be told, it isn't a big deal yet.

Aside from a few titles, NA tends to get almost everything worth playing localized. So our Wii U's and 3DS's being region free doesn't change much--aside from getting titles early. [EDIT: I can't speak for PAL regions because I simply don't know. But I hear they get the short end of the stick.]

However, if the Wii U had a library the caliber of, say, the PS3? Then the region lock thing would be a much bigger issue. And mind you, I'm no where near a Sony fanboy; but I want a PS3 mostly because it's JP-only library looks fantastic to me.

Still. I believe Nintendo should do away with region locking anyways. In the age of information and internet that we live in, there's no reason to "shelter" players from games that aren't from their regions.
---
"Love, hope, faith. The greatest of these: love."
Check out my webcomic! http://www.drunkduck.com/La_Vie_a_la_Mode
#6GarudinPosted 11/30/2013 11:46:24 PM(edited)
It's not a BIG deal it's simply a stupid one and one Nintendo pretends to defend but every reason they give has nothing to do with region locking.

If for example you live in a single country your whole life then it's probably going to be a non-issue.

The people more effected by the issue are people who may speak Japanese as a first or second language and so would love to import the games but can't because their system won't play it.

You also have people that buy the console/game in one country either because their moving or it was a vacation and now their console/game is playable as a cement block is.

So to reiterate it's not some huge evil issue it's just a stupid one that Nintendo has decided to stick with for no foreseeable reason
---
Crowd: Free Tibet, Free Tibet
Peter: I'll take it, hey China I have something you want but it'll cost ya...That's right all the tea GT: Garudin
#7chillvPosted 12/1/2013 12:05:29 AM
Doesn't Sony and Microsoft region lock their consoles?

To be honest, region locking is something I understand, but don't condone.

I understand that their is a reason for region locking a console. However, I don't like the fact that someone from another country can't send a game to you or vice versa, you can't buy games when visiting another country, you have to buy another system if you move to another country (unless you would like to buy games from your region online), and a freind that has traveled from another country can't bring their games and play it your system.

Although it is understandable for why companies do it, region locking puts big limitations on consumers.
#8ZingangerPosted 12/1/2013 12:09:58 AM
It's not THAT big a deal in North America, and even less in Japan.

However, none of their competitors do it. It does dissuade a large portion of the European market from investing in a Wii U or a 3DS due to releases that never see the light of day there. It does increase development time, if only for conversion.

As well, Nintendo's stated reasons for region-locking was that:

A. Their products are sold worldwide, with many different cultural acceptances, legal restrictions, and age ratings.

B. This is an industry wide problem.

No real specifics other than that. And each point is very easily countered:

A. Their products need only be launched in areas that comply with legal restrictions and contain their target audience. Age ratings differ from each country, but that is an issue for PEGI and ESRB to handle. Finally, imports that are culturally unaccepted are items for the nation's border to patrol, not for Nintendo to police.

B. This is NOT an industry wide problem. Sony's PS3, PS4, and Vita, as well as Microsoft's XBox One are all region-free. Nintendo is the last hold-out on region-locked gaming.

(Movies on the PS4 are not region-free, however this is not only an entirely separate industry, but it is something that Sony has to legally comply with regardless of their wishes.)

chillv posted...
Doesn't Sony and Microsoft region lock their consoles?

No. Sony hasn't Region locked any consoles since the PS2, and Microsoft dropped it with the release of the XBox One. This is no longer an industry wide problem. This is all on Nintendo.
#9The_HyphenatorPosted 12/1/2013 12:11:04 AM
Pedrotacopaco posted...
I can understand if you want a game and it isn't localized, but is it really as big of a deal as people are making it out to be? (Not tryin to start an argument between those thT care and don't btw)

Unless you're an importer, it's not a big deal. Like, at all.

If you are, then it's a huge deal, but you're seriously in the minority.
#10xoftheuniversePosted 12/1/2013 12:31:31 AM
I still think Nintendo is doing it because people target them. See even back in the early 90's people were targeting Nintendo and trying to blame them for all sorts of things and of course trying to sue them. You would be surprised what people tried to pull. They are always having people try to sue them. The differences in countries' laws are as different as night and day. Just compare the US laws to somewhere else. You know how horrible the censorship is here? You can't even say Sh*t on television and they actually EDIT MOVIES that get put on TV. It's sad really.

As for you European users I am no expert on law but it probably is still the same reasoning. I know things are getting blocked in other countries for who knows why. You can confirm this by looking on Youtube. Some of my videos have things that say "Your video is blocked in some countries." I know that Rick Astley gets marked like this.
---
The following terms are used by the people they describe: fanboy, noob, scrub, kiddy.
My gaming videos => http://www.youtube.com/user/xoftheuniverse