Think we'll ever see something like a Wii DS acessory?

#1C RedfieldPosted 12/6/2013 9:48:45 PM(edited)
You know like the gamecube GBA player. Something that let's you play 3ds games on the Wii U putting your entire VC Library on one system and playing all DS and 3DS games using your TV as the top screen and the gamepad as the touch screen.
---
Welcome to Gamefaqs. They finally have an edit button.
#2freezingicekirbPosted 12/6/2013 10:00:19 PM
Doubtful.

And to be honest, I can't even imagine how they'd do it even if they considered the idea. Some sort of device that connects to one or multiple USB ports of the Wii U? If they did that, it'd make it too easy for hackers to create a program and just run 3DS games on the PC (if it's like the GBA Player, then the device itself is what does all the work, not the Gamecube or Wii U; the console just outputs the signal/video).

Other than that... what other option is there?
#3Ice PulsePosted 12/6/2013 10:17:12 PM
I remember reading that they prototyped a DS Player for the Wii, but the Wii Remote pointer just didn't work well as a substitute for the touch screen. I know it's a little irrelevant since we have the Gamepad now, and I can't quote it or anything, but there's one reason why such an accessory never saw the light of day.
---
I am error.
#4freezingicekirbPosted 12/6/2013 10:29:28 PM
Ice Pulse posted...
I remember reading that they prototyped a DS Player for the Wii, but the Wii Remote pointer just didn't work well as a substitute for the touch screen. I know it's a little irrelevant since we have the Gamepad now, and I can't quote it or anything, but there's one reason why such an accessory never saw the light of day.

The Gamepad does introduce a major problem though; the fact that the 3DS touchscreen and the Wii U Gamepad screen are shaped differently. Basically put, the content on the 3DS's bottom screen wouldn't fill in the entire Gamepad screen, and they obviously can't stretch it out. That would make a deadzone on both sides, and that could possibly screw up some games, depending on how the touchscreen is being used (like say you're making quick swipes or something... more likely than not, you'd accidentally swipe too far, moving your stylus into the deadzone... causing the game to think it's no longer on the screen, possibly messing up whatever you were doing).

All in all, it's probably just not worth it, and I imagine it's something that simply will not happen.
#5KayubePosted 12/6/2013 10:33:38 PM
freezingicekirb posted...

The Gamepad does introduce a major problem though; the fact that the 3DS touchscreen and the Wii U Gamepad screen are shaped differently. Basically put, the content on the 3DS's bottom screen wouldn't fill in the entire Gamepad screen, and they obviously can't stretch it out. That would make a deadzone on both sides, and that could possibly screw up some games, depending on how the touchscreen is being used (like say you're making quick swipes or something... more likely than not, you'd accidentally swipe too far, moving your stylus into the deadzone... causing the game to think it's no longer on the screen, possibly messing up whatever you were doing).

All in all, it's probably just not worth it, and I imagine it's something that simply will not happen.

The 3DS lets you play DS games in native resolution, resulting in the touch screen image not filling the whole screen, so Nintendo obviously doesn't think that's an issue.
---
This signature intentionally left blank.
#6freezingicekirbPosted 12/6/2013 10:38:47 PM
Kayube posted...
The 3DS lets you play DS games in native resolution, resulting in the touch screen image not filling the whole screen, so Nintendo obviously doesn't think that's an issue.

Oh... well, never mind then!

(I don't own a 3DS, so I didn't know that.)
#7EoinPosted 12/7/2013 1:30:07 AM
freezingicekirb posted...
And to be honest, I can't even imagine how they'd do it even if they considered the idea. Some sort of device that connects to one or multiple USB ports of the Wii U? If they did that, it'd make it too easy for hackers to create a program and just run 3DS games on the PC (if it's like the GBA Player, then the device itself is what does all the work, not the Gamecube or Wii U; the console just outputs the signal/video).

Other than that... what other option is there?

Nintendo could create a device that plugs into both of the Wii U's front USB ports, plus the SD card slot (and had passthrough ports for them). This would be a physically awkward device to connect to a PC.
#8NooBPwNaGePosted 12/7/2013 1:33:46 AM(edited)
Most likely not happening.
#9ZuuFPosted 12/7/2013 11:04:11 AM
I don't think we'll ever see it. However, an accessory like that would make the Trauma Center games for the DS easier (larger screen = easier precision).
---
True Christianity is a lifestyle, not a religion. Learn it; live it.
I think I'm indecisive, but I'm not sure. Brubalities are the future of Mortal Kombat.