3D World will not win GOTY

#1ADHDguitarPosted 12/6/2013 10:08:45 PM
It deserves to, but GTA V will win. It's not a contest of what's best, it's a contest of what's the most popular.

The Last of Us will not win either.

However, the fact that Mario is a nominee and not shoved off to the "Best [Genre] Game" or "Best Wii/Wii U" game is progress.
---
dongers
#2BloodychessPosted 12/6/2013 10:10:16 PM
Agreed, Nintendo isn't mainstream enough to break past the "Best Platformer" or "Best of Wii or Wii U" categories anymore.
---
Stay off the sidewalk if you don't like the way I drive
#3AlexPumaPosted 12/6/2013 10:12:30 PM
I'm sure 3D World will win Game of the Year someplace, even it its just someplace like GoNintendo where GTA5 isn't even a contender.
---
http://www.gaming-unleashed.com/
"Oh I can handle any load that comes my way....." - Savott
#4its_mattPosted 12/6/2013 10:13:10 PM
I don't know but from a technical stand point GTAV is very impressive (considering the hardware it runs on) and that is very popular in the circles that decide these things. Super Mario 3d World is a great game, but is very safe, it's not trying to push boundaries.
#5Hiten Mitsurugi SPosted 12/6/2013 10:17:04 PM
GTA and Link Between Worlds both deserve to win IMO.

Haven't played Last of Us
---
Smash 4 for Wii U!
#6ORANGE666Posted 12/6/2013 10:18:39 PM
GOTY is based on grading the game in all aspects. It's not like a simple journalism review where you only compare the game to games of its genre. I.e Mario only to other 3D platformers, which makes it easy to have a high score.

The fact M3DWorld doesn't have Online co op like GTA5 and the Last of Us despite it having local co op, is a huge minus. It's story is poor, as is the budget, graphics etc.

How can you have Mario be GOTY when there's games that excel in all aspects while Mario only does in few?
#7freezingicekirbPosted 12/6/2013 10:20:08 PM
If I remember correctly, back when Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas was still the newest game in the series, the Spike TV VGA show wouldn't stop gushing over it, and it practically won like every award.

I haven't watched the show in recent years (I stopped on the account I remember it being... incredibly terrible and somewhat shameful), but I can imagine the same might happen this year. I guess it just depends on how much the show has changed over the years.
#8ADHDguitar(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2013 10:22:24 PM
ORANGE666 posted...
GOTY is based on grading the game in all aspects. It's not like a simple journalism review where you only compare the game to games of its genre. I.e Mario only to other 3D platformers, which makes it easy to have a high score.

The fact M3DWorld doesn't have Online co op like GTA5 and the Last of Us despite it having local co op, is a huge minus. It's story is poor, as is the budget, graphics etc.

How can you have Mario be GOTY when there's games that excel in all aspects while Mario only does in few?

Because GTAV is an overrated piece of garbage.

A game only needs to excel in what it sets out to excel in. Your literately just judging games based on how many modes it has.

And budget? Please tell me you're just a troll, or you may have just killed the last of my faith in gamers.
---
dongers
#9FFXIgaiaknightPosted 12/6/2013 10:26:21 PM
ORANGE666 posted...

Then explain Mario galaxy winning a lot of goty awards from a lot of big name sites when it had competition like modern warfare and the original bioshock.
---
FFXIV: Sir Gaiaknight, Server: Midgardsormr
NNI: Gaiaknight PSN: FFXIGaiaknight
#10harvestmoonmikePosted 12/6/2013 10:27:36 PM
SM3DW is great, but it's no Super Mario Galaxy.

I don't expect it to win any goty awards, and I don't really think it deserves to, even if it might be my personal goty.
---
http://i.imgur.com/6t4FNRD.png
Duck Hunt Dog for Smash Bros.