Wii U worth getting at this point?

#1AncientAstroPosted 12/11/2013 8:58:21 AM
Does the system now have a solid lineup of great games released on it? What about in the near future? Also, how does the Indy scene look on it? Any good exclusives worth getting?
#2TheCyborgNinjaPosted 12/11/2013 9:00:55 AM
I just got one, and I'd say it's only worth it right now if you have another active console to supplement it. On its own, there's not a high volume of software. What it has is quality stuff, but there really is not enough of it.
---
Jack Thompson is so disbarred, he's not even allowed to practice the law of gravity. - Kotomo
#3Murderstorm117Posted 12/11/2013 9:01:15 AM
No not yet the only game is mario 3d world and its not even galaxy level. The only good games coming out are x and bayonetta 2. Wait for the next price drop at least which judging by the awful sales will be soon
---
NNID Mstorm
Ps4 Day 1
#4RemembrentPosted 12/11/2013 9:02:05 AM
Take a look - Look at reviews for games released, look at upcoming games, games that are rumored to be coming out soon, etc.

We can all tell you yes, but you need to be the ultimate judge.
#5SupaShigPosted 12/11/2013 9:07:13 AM
Its undoubtedly a good deal right now. For $300, you get the system and a choice between Mario/Luigi U and Zelda WW HD.

Thats one good game right off the bat included in the purchase price.

Current lineup worth playing:

Super Mario 3D World
Pikmin 3
Wonderful 101
Zelda WW HD
New Super Mario Bros. U
Super Luigi U
Rayman Legends
Deus Ex: Directors cut (Wii Us directors cut is the best version of the game)
Monster Hunter 3
Lego City undercover
Other lego games (IMHO they are best on Wii U because of the gamepad for 2 player.)
Nintendo Land

Theres more, but thats all I could think of for now.

NEAR future? Not too much. Wii Fit U is gonna be good if you're into that. Donkey Kong Country comes out in Feb and it will be great if you like that series.

Further in 2014, though, it gets awesome. Mario Kart, Smash Bros, X, Bayonetta. These games are all shaping up to be fantastic.

As far as the indie scene goes? Its not bad. I wouldn't say its a big focus, but its definately not bad. And you can play a lot of them on the gamepad which is nice.
#6TheCyborgNinjaPosted 12/11/2013 9:07:40 AM
Remembrent posted...
Take a look - Look at reviews for games released, look at upcoming games, games that are rumored to be coming out soon, etc.

We can all tell you yes, but you need to be the ultimate judge.

That's generally the best way to handle it. There was a price drop in September, so another this quickly isn't likely. Depending where you purchase it, you may have a 30-day price protection if it does drop. At this point, we've got DK coming in February and then SSB in the spring (allegedly). I'm able to get a lot of mileage out of Nintendo games, but that's still rough. In terms of exclusives worth owning (currently available), I'd say there's anywhere from 4 to 8 for most people.
---
Jack Thompson is so disbarred, he's not even allowed to practice the law of gravity. - Kotomo
#7TerotrousPosted 12/11/2013 9:08:03 AM
TheCyborgNinja posted...
I just got one, and I'd say it's only worth it right now if you have another active console to supplement it. On its own, there's not a high volume of software. What it has is quality stuff, but there really is not enough of it.

Actually, there might be enough if you don't have another console, because then on top of the exclusives you could also buy your multiplats there. Many people don't really count games like Arkham Origins, Assassin's Creed 4, and Deus Ex Human Revolution on Wii U, but if you do it bolsters the library a fair bit.

If there were a few droughts no doubt a 3DS could carry you through them, and they have very little software overlap.
---
http://whatliesbeyondnovel.blogspot.ca/ - My novel, updates weekly
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#8vattodevPosted 12/11/2013 9:10:41 AM
Wii U is going to be swarmed by indie titles. Nintendo gives away the SDK for free with a major indie engine (Unity3D).
It's almost stupid if an indie dev that uses Unity3D doesn't bring a game to the Wii U.
#9EndgamePosted 12/11/2013 9:13:58 AM
here's an easy way to answer the question of whether or not a Nintendo system is worth getting:

who was the president at the time of its release? Yamauchi or Iwata?

if Yamauchi: yes, why the hell don't you already have one?!

if Iwata: no, avoid it like the plague
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert
#10SupaShigPosted 12/11/2013 9:16:48 AM
Already can't see two posts in this thread because of ignores. Hope he's not getting horrible advice.