In terms of games, does Wii U actually feel like a downgrade to anyone else?

#1Dark_LawlPosted 12/14/2013 9:14:19 AM(edited)
Yes, it still functions and plays as a Wii, which imo had a lot of great titles. In fact, that's mostly what I use the Wii U for. Just replaying Wii and Virtual Console titles. On rare occasions I get to play a Wii U game or some random eShop/VC download (barely have any right now).

But the old Wii had the entire Gamecube library under it's belt. The Wii U completely lost that, it's memory cards, and the controllers. I have a lot of old Gamecube classics I could be playing right now if I hooked my actual Wii back up. Did I really trade the Gamecube library for this?

Wii U pretty much offers me..

A slightly better Wind Waker, a slightly better Pikmin and a slightly better NSMB game. A slightly better Donkey Kong, Xenoblade (X), Smash Brothers and Mario Kart are coming out as well. Oh, and the brand new Super Mario 3D World, I guess. Eventually Zelda Wii U, whatever the hell that is.

It just feels like no matter how long I wait, the Wii U library will never outweigh the Gamecubes at it's current rate. It might get slightly better versions of past games and a few unique gems here and there (3D World is a gem), but I'm not sure it's ever going to be worth that entire library it lost.
---
Gaming is going to die again.
#2GensokyoPosted 12/14/2013 8:54:55 AM
Dark_Lawl posted...
I have a lot of old Gamecube classics I could be playing right now if I hooked my actual Wii back up. Did I really trade the Gamecube library for this?

Way to contradict yourself in two consecutive sentences.
---
3DS FC: 4742 - 5987 - 5552
#3RPGrinderPosted 12/14/2013 8:56:08 AM
Gensokyo posted...
Dark_Lawl posted...
I have a lot of old Gamecube classics I could be playing right now if I hooked my actual Wii back up. Did I really trade the Gamecube library for this?

Why do they let children make topics?
#4FayeLadyPosted 12/14/2013 8:58:02 AM
In quality, its a huge step up from the wii. It is a huge step down in quantity of games, because third party support is so poor and Nintendo is so green to current HD development.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#5terrancejonesPosted 12/14/2013 8:58:04 AM
I'm going to point out, that you'll never outweigh the GCN games... or even the SNES games with new games. This is probably why I'm playing Sonic Adventure 2 on Steam at the moment. But to address your issue, I'm saying this is like Christmas of 2011 for the 3DS, on the Wii U. It's just got its first Mario game now that isn't NSMB. Not that I didn't enjoy that game, but it's not gonna hold the attention to the next game that you get.
---
Every console has a game worth playing to me, like for example, the Xbox 360 has Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts.
#6Dark_Lawl(Topic Creator)Posted 12/14/2013 8:59:54 AM
Gensokyo posted...
Dark_Lawl posted...

That's not a contradiction. My old Wii is packed away in the garage because I don't have enough room to put it anywhere alongside other consoles. :/

I'm saying, having the Wii U out in -place- of the Wii isn't a good trade-off. If someone has a Wii U but not a Wii, it could feel like a downgrade gamewise.
---
#7unitedprosPosted 12/14/2013 9:02:25 AM
I think Wii U is a downgrade if you owned a PS3 or Xbox360. Most multiplat games run better on those platforms.
#8SychinLegacyPosted 12/14/2013 9:03:19 AM
No
#9Dark_Lawl(Topic Creator)Posted 12/14/2013 9:07:09 AM
unitedpros posted...
I think Wii U is a downgrade if you owned a PS3 or Xbox360. Most multiplat games run better on those platforms.

In terms of how many games, yes. In terms of porting ability, I think the Wii U could run ports a lot easier if developers actually put a little more effort into them, and if they understood that the hardware isn't exactly like the PS3/360. But I'm not talking about that.
---
#10TerraPhantomPosted 12/14/2013 9:11:40 AM
Dark_Lawl posted...
unitedpros posted...

In terms of how many games, yes. In terms of porting ability, I think the Wii U could run ports a lot easier if developers actually put a little more effort into them, and if they understood that the hardware isn't exactly like the PS3/360. But I'm not talking about that.

In the end it comes down to whether or not the company feels they can make enough profit to justify the extra development effort. With the Wii U's install base and fairly different architecture, I'm guessing that equation boils down to "no" nearly every time.