Name a developer who, over time, has lost their edge at making games.

#31BloodychessPosted 12/14/2013 1:23:42 PM
Square, at one point you knew you were about to experience something special when you purchased a Square game.

Now the company is completely drained of the talent it's just fumbling around.

I'd include Konami, but their biggest blow wasn't internal. It was the arcade market dying off.
---
Stay off the sidewalk if you don't like the way I drive
#32DJ0224Posted 12/14/2013 1:25:28 PM
TheDelivery posted...
Terotrous posted...
Pretty much all of them. It's very difficult to think of a developer who has existed for 15+ years and hasn't gone significantly downhill. Nintendo, Rockstar, and Falcom are the only counterexamples I'm coming up with right now.

While this may be a more controversial statement I believe Capcom other than the resident evil and Devil May Cry franchise has gotten better. They may have terrible buisness practices and whatnot but the games themselves are usually very strong especially with Street Fighter IV and the new Phoenix Wright game.

Namco and Level 5 have also improved their talent of making great games. Konami, sadly, fell off hard but Kojima is still doing the metal gear solid series justice.

Square Soft went through a rough patch last gen but with this gen they are pretty promising with Braverly Default, Final Fantasy 15 and Kingdom Hearts III and the gen has just started.

And I'd say Atlus but with the recent SMT IV disaster I don't know if I can consider them yet but we'll see in regards to them.

SMT IV disaster? SMT IV was incredible.
#33EasterEggHunterPosted 12/14/2013 1:25:38 PM
Sony Awful AWFUL company.
#34NoirStrikerPosted 12/14/2013 1:28:11 PM
Nintendo.
#35TheDeliveryPosted 12/14/2013 1:30:41 PM
DJ0224 posted...
TheDelivery posted...
Terotrous posted...
Pretty much all of them. It's very difficult to think of a developer who has existed for 15+ years and hasn't gone significantly downhill. Nintendo, Rockstar, and Falcom are the only counterexamples I'm coming up with right now.

While this may be a more controversial statement I believe Capcom other than the resident evil and Devil May Cry franchise has gotten better. They may have terrible buisness practices and whatnot but the games themselves are usually very strong especially with Street Fighter IV and the new Phoenix Wright game.

Namco and Level 5 have also improved their talent of making great games. Konami, sadly, fell off hard but Kojima is still doing the metal gear solid series justice.

Square Soft went through a rough patch last gen but with this gen they are pretty promising with Braverly Default, Final Fantasy 15 and Kingdom Hearts III and the gen has just started.

And I'd say Atlus but with the recent SMT IV disaster I don't know if I can consider them yet but we'll see in regards to them.

SMT IV disaster? SMT IV was incredible.

As a huge fan of the SMT series I feel like SMT IV was a major step back in gameplay, level design, intriguing story and music. Everything about it was mediocre compared to their previous efforts and if you want a good recent SMT game, the one supposed to be SMT IV actually, try out Strange Journey. SMT IV was very good at the beginning but with the lack luster writing, and the level design being so low grade compared to the other ones I just can't look at it in a good light. To me, it was a disaster.

EasterEggHunter posted...
Sony Awful AWFUL company.

Sony has improved quite a bit in making games. Studio Japan, anyway. Crash Bandicoot does not hold up. Jak 1 (not 2 and 3), Uncharted 2, and The Last of Us as well as Katamari, inFAMOUS 2, Tokyo Jungle, Puppeteer, Tearaway all will be liked and remembered for generations to come and be more appreciated as the library of the PS2/3 closes.
---
My goal is to make fanboys look at things at a more reasonable angle.
I suppose you can consider that a delivery of reason.
#36big_pimperPosted 12/14/2013 1:31:26 PM
sony.. just look at knack lmao but then again they were never good at making games just putting out a shooter console
---
3DS FC: 5343-8629-6662
PC+Wii U+ 3DS XL Master Race
#37DanDaMan558Posted 12/14/2013 1:31:56 PM
blizzard

oh blizzard... what have you become...
#38Sol_DramPosted 12/14/2013 1:33:42 PM
Brownbearbob posted...
Definitely Konami

^This simple do to the fact that they refuse to make Suikoden 6 or heck give us remakes of 1&2.
---
If you find my post disagreeably take no offence i'm probably just bored.
#39Cowboy082288Posted 12/14/2013 1:37:04 PM
Amazing how many in this thread don't seem to know the difference between a developer and a publisher. I mean someone said sony?? Do you mean like the team that made everquest or like the guys who made God of War?

People saying EA.... um the guys that make madden are not the guys making titanfall.

Meh whatever.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam/iOS - cowboyoni
#40adampeltzPosted 12/14/2013 1:42:39 PM(edited)
Nobody, and I mean NOBODY has fallen like Sega. Not Square, not Capcom, not SNK, not Nintendo, not Blizzard, not Bioware, NOT ANYONE.

Panzer Dragoon, Nights, Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, Seaman, Streets of Rage, Columns, Sonic, Space Harrier, Super Hang On, Outrun,.... the list of great games as a first party developer goes on and on.

Then after the Dreamcast got discontinued, the quality and innovation of Sega titles tapers off and declines considerably. They had some great titles for a few years thereafter, but in the last generation, you can count on one hand the amount good games they've made.

They are no longer the trailblazers they once were. They went from being one of the best, to a Japanese EA.
---
XBL Gamertag: Peltz | Wii U NNID: Peltz-0
3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691 | PSN ID: Peltz-0