Your reaction: Wii U eventually sells enough for (Japanese) third-party ports

#1Emerald_MeliosPosted 12/16/2013 7:04:39 PM
What will you do in the face of such a turnabout?
#2CranberryPSOPosted 12/16/2013 7:06:17 PM
Buy 3rd party Japanese games that interest me.

What kind of answer are you expecting? O.o
---
Best quest to fight tons of Canadians really fast? ~HaienLai
Topics won: 3
#3vattodevPosted 12/16/2013 7:09:49 PM
CranberryPSO posted...
Buy 3rd party Japanese games that interest me.

What kind of answer are you expecting? O.o

Thanks, you saved some typing.
#4YoyokuKOPosted 12/16/2013 7:11:39 PM
Phoenix Wright Uncontempt of Court

...not really a word
#5mini_blightPosted 12/16/2013 8:03:13 PM
Emerald_Melios posted...
What will you do in the face of such a turnabout?

At the rate those third parties are dying out or going mobile, I don't think there will be much left to port if this happens.
#6Paladin_OmegaPosted 12/16/2013 9:22:50 PM
Its what their publishers want unfortunately not what the developers want. Theres alot of strife over this in both arms of the industry from what I've heard (think CryTEK and EA). Until development groups can segregate from pubishers and self publish theres not much chance of seeing major third party support.
Nintendo are publishers too whom have a 37% market share that if other publishers can have, they'll do whatever it takes to get that away from them and secure more space for their own products. Its one of the facts of being a hardware manufacturer and prolific self publisher.

The only way to unfetter development groups from publisher ownership is for developers to have a good enough reason to want to exit from the publishing umbrella which they need a good reason for, like not making any money to cover cost of development, which publishers foot for.

Failing that, everyone goes and buys a Wii U and publishers then promise support but they most likely won't let development put alot of time into if the products you want even surface.

Ya know what strikes me as odd? You hear alot of artists and development often cite 'suits' as a necessary evil in alot of professions but I think this is the first industry, for the first time in history, where the 'suits' attack a consumer group directly. Strange days...
#7FayeLadyPosted 12/16/2013 9:38:27 PM
I think Capcom, Namco, Tecmo, and Square will all provide token support, but I doubt the Wii U will ever see their best. Many of the smaller Japanese developers like NIS, Gust, and Falcom probably can't afford to develop on more than Playstation.

There is Sega and Atlus, however, and both are still under contract to put out a Wii U game.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#8JobocanPosted 12/16/2013 9:56:04 PM
FayeLady posted...
Many of the smaller Japanese developers like NIS, Gust, and Falcom probably can't afford to develop on more than Playstation.

Or they could spend less money and develop on just Nintendo consoles, and most likely get the same amount of sales as on PS consoles.
---
www.vgcollect.com/jobocan - My Collection
#9CLupulaPosted 12/16/2013 10:02:56 PM
Jobocan posted...
FayeLady posted...
Many of the smaller Japanese developers like NIS, Gust, and Falcom probably can't afford to develop on more than Playstation.

Or they could spend less money and develop on just Nintendo consoles, and most likely get the same amount of sales as on PS consoles.

Doesn't work that way. Their audience is on Playstation. Being a smaller developer, it'd just destroy them. NISA learned what happened when they made a special Wii port of Sakura Wars and it sold so poorly, not only did it hurt the PS2 version, which actually did sell well, it killed the franchise in the West, since the extra expenses weren't made up by the one successful version.
#10CLupulaPosted 12/16/2013 10:06:16 PM
Or you could look at the sales of Tales of Graces versus Tales of Graces F, which exponentially more on PS3, despite the Wii having a much larger install base.

Developers know that people buy Playstation for the RPG's, in Japan at least (and a good portion of the Western audience, as well. It's why Final Fantasy sells more on Playstation than Xbox, but Call of Duty sells more on Xbox than Playstation), so they know that putting them on there raises the chances of a sale.

Last Story and Xenoblade sold considerably less than they were intended to when they were announced (XSEED did say the Western sales of Last Story were good for them, but Mistwalker have gone on record as saying they were hugely disappointed in its sales in Japan).