Did the Dream Cast have more worthwhile games than the Wii U by this point?

#1EasterEggHunterPosted 12/16/2013 7:19:30 PM
In your opinion? - Results (230 votes)
Yes
62.17% (143 votes)
No
37.83% (87 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Which console had the better library of games by this point in time do you think?
#2Motobug321Posted 12/16/2013 7:23:03 PM
They're both about equal, imo. Both innovative, underrated consoles with fantastic game libraries.
#3EasterEggHunter(Topic Creator)Posted 12/16/2013 7:33:11 PM
baump
#4slymshadyPosted 12/16/2013 7:34:43 PM
Dreamcast was a glorified PSone and N64 and was plaqued with slightly improved ports. I enjoyed it at the time, and it had a nice handful of exclusives.

Since then most have been ported to other consoles, and there is really no reason to own a Dreamcast to play those games as they have been ported and in some cases, given HD makeovers.
#5jsb0714Posted 12/16/2013 8:07:38 PM
"Why are these boards getting plagued with all this Dreamcast ***?" would be a better question.
---
"There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not." -Someone who came up with this
#6manmousePosted 12/16/2013 8:15:45 PM(edited)
well right now, a year in (plus a month or so), i'd say the highlight WiiU games are:

-Mario 3DWorld
-NSMBU
-LuigiU
-W101
-Sonic LW
-Pikmin 3
-Sonic Allstars Racing Transformed
-Rayman Legends
-ZombiU
-Nintendoland
-maybe that Lego city game
-Tekken Tag Tournament

for Dreamcast, its launch alone was outstanding. so after 1 year (plus a month or so), its highlights were:

-Space Channel 5
-Sonic Adventure
-Jet Grind Radio
-Soul Calibur
-Powerstone
-Powerstone 2
-Trickstyle
-Evolution
-Evolution 2
-Gigawing
-Quake 3 Arena
-Bangai-O
-Capcom vs SNK
-D2
-Virtua Fighter 3
-Resident Evil Code Veronica
-Dead or Alive 2
-Shenmue
-Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
-Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
-Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
-Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future
-ChuChu Rocket
-Crazy Taxi
-Marvel vs Capcom
-Marvel vs Capcom 2
-Rayman 2
-Plasma Sword
-Skies of Arcadia
-MDK2
-Seaman
-Samba de Amigo
-Street Fighter 3 Double Impact
-Street Fighter Alpha 3
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#7FayeLadyPosted 12/16/2013 8:21:49 PM
The Dreamcast had one of the best launches on record, so I'd say so. But the Dreamcast's biggest advantage over the Wii U is that the Dreamcast tended to have the very best port of games it received at this point in its life. At this point we were looking forward to sequels of great launch window games like Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure, and Powerstone.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#8ilikepie641Posted 12/16/2013 8:23:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=05jWrl8cY_A#t=436
---
3DS Friend Code: 2294-3549-5852
Accounts: Twitter: goo.gl/634tj / Deviantart: goo.gl/PY5i9 / Youtube: goo.gl/khLoj / Facebook: goo.gl/e9MH6
#9manmousePosted 12/16/2013 8:25:50 PM
slymshady posted...
Dreamcast was a glorified PSone and N64 and was plaqued with slightly improved ports. I enjoyed it at the time, and it had a nice handful of exclusives.

Since then most have been ported to other consoles, and there is really no reason to own a Dreamcast to play those games as they have been ported and in some cases, given HD makeovers.

DC's fighting games (Capcom vs SNK, Marvel vs Capcom, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Plasma Sword, SFAlpha3, SF3, Soul Calibur) are considered the most arcade-accurate ports with the smoothest framerates and are, til today, still the preferred versions of the games to play at competitive events like EVO.
and Powerstone 1 and 2 are also some of the best party fighters (similar style to Smash Bros) around, and only available on DC. they have a similar format to Smash Bros except they're full 3D and especially with Powerstone 2 the levels have a ridiculous amount of interaction.

also, DC's Rayman 2 was superior to all other versions, and the DC version of Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver was also superior to the other versions, and is definitely one of the greatest action-adventure games of its era.

ChuChu Rocket's a brilliant Sonic Team puzzle game and never got a port except a vastly inferior bare bones version on GBA.

Shenmue is also exclusive and never got ported.

Ecco the Dolphin is also brilliant just like all its predecessors, and of course is DC exclusive. that series is irreplaceable.

and then there's its seemingly endless list of sh'mups which are still getting made til today.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#10TheCyborgNinjaPosted 12/16/2013 8:27:52 PM
I think it did, but that's more because of when it launched. Back in 1999, game budgets hadn't gotten completely out of hand yet, so it was less risky to put more games on an unproven console. Not to mention the "middle class" games were thriving back then as well.

There is an asterisk here though, in that many of the best Dreamcast games were in fact arcade ports. While they were unavailable on other consoles, it's not like the code was written specifically to be a Dreamcast game. If you liked fighting games, the Dreamcast was the place to be, and still arguably is.
---
Jack Thompson is so disbarred, he's not even allowed to practice the law of gravity. - Kotomo