What are good Wii U games for my son with autism.

#1GamerRafPosted 12/16/2013 10:33:45 PM
I have a Wii U and I have games that I purchased for me. I do have NSMBU, Wind Waker HD, Luigi U, 3D world and Nintendo Land. My son absolutely loves watching me play Wind Waker as he tries to copy what link does with his sword. He also enjoys when we play Nintendo land(He plays the tablet controller because it's easier to grip and controls.)

I'm just wondering what games are good for him? It doesn't have to be exclusives or IP's just games for children that aren't too hard or difficult. I tried Pikmin but even for me the controls are a bit to get used to and the objective.

I'd like to note he's 5 years old.
---
"Lets release a console with no games and no marketing." -Satoru Iwata, 2012
#2ADHDguitarPosted 12/16/2013 10:38:34 PM
This is probably the wrong place to ask for advice involving raising an autistic child.
---
MSI Z87-G45 | i7-4770K | GTX 780 | G.Skill 16 GB DDR3 | Corsair 850W| Cooler Master Full Tower | Seagate 3TB Drive | LG Blu-Ray Drive |
#3chitowngamer85Posted 12/16/2013 10:53:53 PM(edited)
I'm a pediatrician so I'd like to think I'm able to help, but really I'm not sure.

Has he played games in the past? Or are you just starting him off?

How do you think he might fare with puzzle games?

____
EDIT: My post was a little tongue-in-cheek. I don't really think being a doctor will help me to help you, but hopefully i can.
---
PSN/Nintendo: BigKurz
PS4/Wii U/PS3/Vita/3DS
#4strongo9Posted 12/16/2013 10:53:39 PM
Kids with autism don't really have any difficulty with playing video games. Just give him a game that would be appropriate for any five year old.
---
R.I.P. Mewtwo (1996 - 2013)
i7-2670qm @ 2.2ghz | 6GB DDR3 | 1GB Geforce GT 540m
#5GamerRaf(Topic Creator)Posted 12/16/2013 10:55:36 PM
chitowngamer85 posted...
I'm a pediatrician so I'd like to think I'm able to help, but really I'm not sure.

He's played games in the past and he's not really good at puzzle games because of his young age. I'd like to mention that he plays mostly on his 3DS but I want some Wii U games we can play together.
---
#6Paladin_OmegaPosted 12/16/2013 10:55:47 PM
Hmmm.. Leggo Star Wars trilogy is a good one you canplay together, so's Mari Kart. Disney infinity is something you could use to make simple games using the playsets that he could play on. I'd also take a look at the indie-games on offer and you'll know yourself which will suit best. Hope that helps.
#7chitowngamer85Posted 12/16/2013 10:57:23 PM
GamerRaf posted...
chitowngamer85 posted...

He's played games in the past and he's not really good at puzzle games because of his young age. I'd like to mention that he plays mostly on his 3DS but I want some Wii U games we can play together.

Well its not "Wii U" but can be played on it...maybe the mario party games? board game concept, mini games could be fun for him. dont think they're too challenging. and the games random nature might lead to him beating you too which he would love.
---
PSN/Nintendo: BigKurz
PS4/Wii U/PS3/Vita/3DS
#8GamerRaf(Topic Creator)Posted 12/16/2013 10:59:04 PM
chitowngamer85 posted...
GamerRaf posted...
chitowngamer85 posted...

Well its not "Wii U" but can be played on it...maybe the mario party games? board game concept, mini games could be fun for him. dont think they're too challenging. and the games random nature might lead to him beating you too which he would love.

I could try Mario Party and play together as I have my own 3DS XL. I held off because there's no online but I'll consider this.
---
#9GafemagePosted 12/16/2013 11:03:19 PM
Pretty much all the ones you listed are good options; Nintendo games seem to draw a larger autistic demographic than that of other developers due to their colorful & vibrant nature, and while I haven't played NSMBU or SM3DW, I found NSMBW & SM3DL remarkably easy, which would be good for a child of his age.
#10AceMosPosted 12/16/2013 11:06:45 PM
speaking as aperson with autism

ive been playing games sicne i was 3 and never had much problems and am now a ratehr decent gamer

but then again autism is a spectrum so at the end of the day every 1 will be verry diffrent in this so just buy him some games and go for it
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*