For gameplay over graphics people

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. For gameplay over graphics people
2 years ago#1
Game A: much better graphics vs. Game B: marginally better gameplay. Which do you choose if you can't have both? - Results (1016 votes)
Game A every time
4.53% (46 votes)
Leaning Game A
8.07% (82 votes)
I'd probably have to flip a coin
3.84% (39 votes)
Leaning Game B
33.27% (338 votes)
Game B every time
46.85% (476 votes)
I believe in intransitivity of choice, so Game C with worse graphics AND gameplay!
3.44% (35 votes)
This poll is now closed.
This argument gets bandied about from time to time and seems to have some staunch supporters, but I wonder how staunch they really are. These people assert that gameplay is always the most important factor, but I wonder how true that really is. If you have two games with only perfunctory differences in gameplay (or even none), why would you pick the game that looks uglier by far?

I guess as a decent basis for our comparison, let's use Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations. While Sonic Colors may have marginally more involving gameplay due to the Wisps, Sonic Generations looks Miles better because of its presence on HD consoles with better processing power. This allows it to have scenes that Sonic Colors can't quite emulate. So if it came down to the wire and you HAD to pick only one game (say because money is tight), which would you pick, Game A (Generations) or Game B (Colors) and, most importantly, why?
2 years ago#2
I can forgive a game that doesn't look as pretty as long as it plays great. Look at SM64. Not a great looking game by today's graphical standards, but it's a FUN game.

What makes memories for me is/are the point(s) in a game where I truly enjoy it - not when a flashy cutscene happens.
---
"I never went to church. I just listened to Led Zeppelin and that was all I needed." - Dave Grohl
2 years ago#3
that is a bad example, because part of the fun of generations was seeing old school games in modern graphics.

also, the gameplay in generations was better. more complicated gameplay is not automatically better.
---
mreow!
spork for president - metroid composite
2 years ago#4
I'd rather the marginally better gameplay.
More fun and/or bigger play time, best graphix anytime.
---
Do you judge games by graphics and not gameplay?Only like realistic games?
GO PLAY REAL LIFE!
2 years ago#5
Gameplay for sure. The Crysis games are arguably the best graphical touting games out there but damn are they boring. Honestly the only game I can say where the graphics matched the gameplay was The Witcher 2, perfect game, on PC of course not the 360 abomination.
2 years ago#6
Drumguy posted...
I can forgive a game that doesn't look as pretty as long as it plays great. Look at SM64. Not a great looking game by today's graphical standards, but it's a FUN game.

What makes memories for me is/are the point(s) in a game where I truly enjoy it - not when a flashy cutscene happens.

Well then, allow me to add one caveat. When it came out, Super Mario 64 was probably one of the best looking console games available. Of course if you look at it now it will look dated, but at the time it was excellent as far as graphics went. The point here is to try and compare two games that are released in a similar timeframe. So obviously Halo vs Duke Nukem 3D would be completely unfair, but Halo vs Doom 3 would be acceptable.
2 years ago#7
gotspork posted...
that is a bad example, because part of the fun of generations was seeing old school games in modern graphics.

also, the gameplay in generations was better. more complicated gameplay is not automatically better.

Do you have a better one? When it comes right down to it, I have a very difficult time thinking of games with only marginal gameplay differences but where one has very obviously improved graphics.
2 years ago#8
Depends on genre, like everything else.
2 years ago#9
Gameplay.
---
To be fair, the overall plot of the MGS series sounds like it was written by a 7 year old on amphetamines.-CrystalKing5426
Official Xion of the KHIII Board
2 years ago#10
ShioonVailglory posted...
Depends on genre, like everything else.

Do you mean this in that you might prefer a much better looking RPG, but would always take the somewhat better platformer? Or do you mean it like you can't compare a great-looking platformer to an RPG, which I'd totally agree with and is why I tried to use two very similar games.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. For gameplay over graphics people

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived