we've had Mario RPGs, but what about a Mario TACTICS? or Smash Tactics?

#1manmousePosted 12/23/2013 5:14:44 PM
a tactical RPG, like FFTactics or Shining Force or Disgaea (except not a grindfest like Disgaea) or Fire Emblem etc.

it could still be very Nintendo-fied, much like how Square's Mario RPG was loaded with mechanics that made it feel very true to Mario compared to other Square titles of its era, rather than just an FF title with a Mario reskin.
and even better, imagine if it was Smash Tactics, and had all sorts of Nintendo characters and other characters with standing ground on Nintendo consoles (like Sonic and Mega Man and such).

but just imagine commanding a party of Mario, Luigi, Sonic, Pikachu, Samus, Tails, Ness, Mega Man, Dixie Kong, Knuckles, Star Fox, Link, Yoshi, and Captain Falcon on a big field against an army of koopa-troopas, crabmeats (and all sorts of badniks new and old), octoroks, shyguys, piranha plants, etc.
and bosses like Gutsman, Cutman, Metal Sonic, Bowser (different fights with different styles of Bowser's powers), Robotnik (different fights with him in different mechs/vehicles), Wily, Giygas, Ganon, Ridley, Kraid, Crocomire, Kamek, etc.

and certain mechanics could be worked into the fights, like when you beat a koopa-troopa they becomea shell, and you can kick it and it travels turn-by-turn and can hit your characters and your enemies so you can tactically keep track of its trajectory and lure enemies into it if you're skilled enough.

and there could be a sort of job system, but unique for each character. so Mega Man could gain his "jobs" by beating different robot masters and getting their powers. so if he beats Metal Man he can get the "metal blade" job which not only yields the famous metal blade weapon but many skills associated that you learn little by little.
and Yoshi could learn to change to different colors as his jobs, so if you learn his blue color he can learn a bunch of skills regarding flight, and his yellow color learns a bunch of skills regarding power and defense, and his red color has fire skills, etc.

thoughts?
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#2guedesbrawlPosted 12/23/2013 5:19:55 PM
Zelda and Metroid would work better for that... and we have Fe and Pokemon doing it already.
---
Learn this, gamers: "It's better to judge a game by the execution of what it set out to do instead of wishing it did something else" - Akito_Kinomoto
#3rapscallion733Posted 12/23/2013 5:22:40 PM
I think it would be cool if they made an srpg with a bunch of nintendo side characters and cameos. idk something sorta like project X zone except less main characters like mario and link
---
3DS FC: 3737-9768-5255
Pokemon White 2 FC: 5158-0831-8084
#4zelgamerguyPosted 12/23/2013 5:25:00 PM(edited)
Manmouse, I think mario tactics would be okay, but a whole cast of nintendo characters in a "smash" tactics would be quite amazing and would have a buyer guaranteed right here.

And a Zelda tactics would also be amazing but smash more so... at least I think so.
---
www.worldvieweverlasting.com
Friends code 3DS: 2707-3051-5461/NNID dario68w
#5manmouse(Topic Creator)Posted 12/23/2013 5:26:03 PM
guedesbrawl posted...
Zelda and Metroid would work better for that... and we have Fe and Pokemon doing it already.

i don't think that'd be an issue though.

i mean Smash Bros is a fighting game, but if it were to add a character to its roster that was from a fighting game, i feel it wouldn't be an issue.

just like how FE characters are already from an SRPG series, but crossing over into an SRPG mashup game would still be fine.
---
#6NovaLevossidaPosted 12/23/2013 5:38:54 PM
Most tactical games don't reach the level of FF Tactics or Tactics Ogre, so unless it hits that bar, I don't really want another Fire Emblem or Disgaea.
---
I think the launch of other video game systems is also good for us - Iwata of Nintendo
the playstation 2 sure helped dreamcast - magemaximus
#7manmouse(Topic Creator)Posted 12/23/2013 5:50:56 PM
oh and Mario's jobs could all be powerup-based. so you could give him the Fire Flower job, and asa starting skill it could come with a Fireball move, but you could also learn all sorts of fire attacks that work with different ranges, maybe some based on a radius, etc. and a job for Boomerang Bro, Hammer Bro, Tanooki, Frogsuit, Catsuit, Double Cherry (that could lead to some REALLY interesting tactics if they function like they do in 3DWorld and all clones follow the same commands but you can divert them from eachother or bring them together by using the environment correctly and have them do the same move at the same time while planning it so all the clones are targeting someone), Cape, Metal Mario, Invisible Cap, Wing Cap, Bee Mario, etc.

trying to think of job ideas for Sonic, since most of his moves rely on innate skills and his original powerups that gave him diverse moves (homing attack from Fire Shield, double jump from Lightning Shield, bounce from Bubble Shield, etc) all became innates eventually (besides magnetism, flame resistance, and water breathing, but none of those would make good jobs by themselves).

maybe Wisps, but those wouldn't flow too well since they've become pretty unpopular with Lost World (i'm one of the people that really likes the game, and i still can't enjoy its Wisps), plus they're so specific in their skills that they wouldn't feel natural as practical jobs in the same way that Mario's powerups and Megaman's weapons can be more diverse.

maybe there can be more than just jobs in the traditional sense, so with Sonic, he remains a jobless character with one path of skills to learn, but you collect chaos emeralds from certain fights against bosses from the Sonic series (but they're hidden in secret parts of the maps so you can miss them) and when you get all 7 you can access Super Sonic. so it'd be a different type of gameplay for Sonic, just one innate job and linear skillset, but with some skill you can make him a top-tier character.
---
#8SegavsCapcomPosted 12/23/2013 7:39:45 PM
Mario doesn't really clash with strategy.
---
My sig will never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.
3DS FC: 1306-5920-0665 _PSN: SegavsCapcom_ Steam: SegavsCapcom
#9ArchsazePosted 12/23/2013 8:28:27 PM
I think we have seen too much of Mario. Let's give the plumber a break!
#10TheFallenPriestPosted 12/23/2013 8:36:16 PM
I havent bought a pokemon game since gold/silver/crystal (for the gba not the remakes). However, I think a pokemon tactics would be an interesting spin. The pokemon wouldnt neccesarily have to be limited to 4 moves, and you could actually capture them on the map and keep all the other elements on pokemon there. I think it could be great.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/64999261/728682650 Xeeh_Blitz says Wii U Controller Rattling is worse than XBox RROD, Troll status confirmed.