we've had Mario RPGs, but what about a Mario TACTICS? or Smash Tactics?

#31YMIHerePosted 12/30/2013 8:55:12 AM
manmouse posted...
that's why i admire Shining Force. you can't replay anything or do any optional fights. everything is plot triggered so grinding is out of the question. if you find yourself doing terribly, it's not because you're underleveled, it's because you used the wrong strategy. so instead of grinding until you beat the battle, you need to try again until you beat it by actually improving your own personal skill and conquering the challenge through strategy.

Umm... I don't know how to tell you this because it feels like it's going to hurt your view of Shining Force, but you can totally grind in it. You just use Egress or an Angel Wing.
#32manmouse(Topic Creator)Posted 12/30/2013 2:36:13 PM
YMIHere posted...
manmouse posted...
that's why i admire Shining Force. you can't replay anything or do any optional fights. everything is plot triggered so grinding is out of the question. if you find yourself doing terribly, it's not because you're underleveled, it's because you used the wrong strategy. so instead of grinding until you beat the battle, you need to try again until you beat it by actually improving your own personal skill and conquering the challenge through strategy.

Umm... I don't know how to tell you this because it feels like it's going to hurt your view of Shining Force, but you can totally grind in it. You just use Egress or an Angel Wing.

yeah i'm aware of that, but it makes you have to go out of your way to grind, and makes it far more impractical to do so. while it's possible, it's never expected of you and never feels practical.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#33YMIHerePosted 12/30/2013 3:01:14 PM
manmouse posted...
YMIHere posted...
manmouse posted...

yeah i'm aware of that, but it makes you have to go out of your way to grind, and makes it far more impractical to do so. while it's possible, it's never expected of you and never feels practical.

Ahh, in that case I agree. Generally I do a lot of grinding so that I can keep all of my team leveled up (though a better player could probably still get away with this without grinding). Then at the end I'll try to have ridiculously over leveled people for the last couple of battles just for fun. Even doing that though doesn't really compare to the required grinding of Disgaea's post game.
#34QuestionmarktariusPosted 12/30/2013 3:02:23 PM
TheFallenPriest posted...
However, I think a pokemon tactics would be an interesting spin.

Already happened:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Conquest
#35ZeoDefenderPosted 12/30/2013 3:59:32 PM
manmouse posted...
same goes for FFTactics. it may not be as "hardcore" as others, but dismissing it is just stupid. it's a great game.

What would you consider a hardcore SRPG then? Most other series like Shining Force, Fire Emblem, Disgaea, Luminous Arc, etc. are very casual and easy in comparison. Final Fantasy Tactics is one of the more challenging and strategically interesting games I've played in the genre.
---
"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets." - The Brigadier
#36manmouse(Topic Creator)Posted 12/30/2013 4:11:03 PM
ZeoDefender posted...
manmouse posted...
same goes for FFTactics. it may not be as "hardcore" as others, but dismissing it is just stupid. it's a great game.

What would you consider a hardcore SRPG then? Most other series like Shining Force, Fire Emblem, Disgaea, Luminous Arc, etc. are very casual and easy in comparison. Final Fantasy Tactics is one of the more challenging and strategically interesting games I've played in the genre.

i found Tactics to have a couple difficulty spikes during the first playthrough (solo Ramza vs Wiegraf fight, and the fight where Ramza and Gafgarian and separated from the rest of the party by the gate) but overall it felt much smoother than other SRPG's i've played. the existence of Orlandu, Dancers, Calculators, the Ninja's Two Swords skill when equipped on a more buff job (Knights, for example), Hamedo, Priest's HP Restore skill, and a few others, really change the dynamic of the game to the point where after the halfway point in the game you really have to exercise restraint in order to maintain balance during most playthroughs after your first.

compare that to Shining Force where the main gamebreaking character (Musashi) is only available right before the final blitz of fights, and enemy attacks often do more than some characters' full HP which is sometimes only 3-10HP max (compared to FFTactics where your character generally all get some padding in their HP except for when hit by a bigtime boss like a Zodiac demon).
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#37ZeoDefenderPosted 12/30/2013 9:16:46 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics can be easily broken, but the game offers so much more depth than anything else in the genre. Shining Force is nothing more than grouping your units together in a checkerboard formation and slowly steamrolling the stupid AI. Fire Emblem is barely any better. Fun games, but strategic they are not. Final Fantasy Tactics has brilliant AI and unique battles that force you to plan out your strategy. Grouping your units together and pushing towards the enemy will not work. Unless you're using Cid.

And that's not even getting into the fantastic class system that adds endless depth to the game. Changing a class or a few abilities of even a single unit will completely change your experience in the game and how you approach each battle. The game has endless replay value and the popularity of SCCs (Playing through the game with a single class and no abilities from outside that class) proves that.
---
"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets." - The Brigadier