First WiiU, then they merge console/handheld in one building....

#1excitebike64Posted 12/27/2013 11:52:21 PM
So I think the next step will be a portable tablet, when all is said and done. I think within 6 years, Nintendo will be making a portable gaming tablet - that can connect to the TV if one wanted to.

Maybe a flip style tablet, if they want the dual screens.
#2DorotimusWitikPosted 12/27/2013 11:58:39 PM
It does seem like all they would really need is a Gamepad with WiiU level hardware in it and a Chromecast to basically reverse the relationship between the WiiU Gamepad and the WiiU console (that is to say turn the Gamepad into the main hardware while the TV end just has a dumb receiver).
#3GoldenJoe24Posted 12/28/2013 12:01:05 AM
That would be interesting, and I think that is their goal, but the rest of the industry will fight them tooth and nail on it.

In the end, they and Apple will struggle for supremacy.
#4Omega_BlackPosted 12/28/2013 12:39:13 AM
GoldenJoe24 posted...
That would be interesting, and I think that is their goal, but the rest of the industry will fight them tooth and nail on it.
More like consumers would fight tooth and nail.

This type of platform would likely be entirely driven by digital distribution which would be fantastic for big publishers looking to retain every last bit of ownership and dollar they could from consumers. It would absolutely be embraced by the majority of the game development industry, make no mistake about that.

The video game community, however, would not be so welcoming as clearly seen with the XBO's initial policy reveals.

You think Nintendo is unpopular now? If it were to pull something like this for its next platform you better believe the hardcore video game community would drive the company into the ground UNLESS the prices, perks and overall infrastructure and support were so damn good from DAY ONE that it would almost negate the loss of numerous consumer rights from last gen.
---
Go where the games are...
Brawl FC: 2062 8812 4168
#5excitebike64(Topic Creator)Posted 12/28/2013 6:28:36 AM
^For starters, I'm sure they could have a place for a game like they do a 3ds now.

Secondly. the market embraces digital more than the minority of gamers wish to admit.

I don't care for digital, but every year the majority gets bigger and bigger that does.

It is said in Japan, they download a ton of their stuff vs physical. Or at least, the spread of who does and doesn't is not as large as other parts of the world.
#6MasterPokerPosted 12/28/2013 6:55:24 AM
Nintendo specifically denied this when announcing the new building. While they could well be lying, what was said makes more sense - they want to unify how their portable and console experience works when it comes to coding, so that a game coded for one could work on both (with obvious concessions like resolution for the handheld version).
---
http://www.lostlabyrinth.com - Free, addicting rogue-based game
Xuande
#7JackalPosted 12/28/2013 6:57:21 AM
They already have a "secret" test tablet out. It's called the 2DS.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/15/4843366/nintendo-2ds-teardown-reveals-its-big-single-screen-construction
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz
#8ChA0TiCoNePosted 12/28/2013 7:04:20 AM
Tablets aren't that great for gaming. My mom has a touch screen, and they're atrocious to use for gaming purposes. Until someone can come up with a mind control interface, then a gaming pad, or a keyboard and mouse will always be the best way to do gaming.
#9vattodevPosted 12/28/2013 8:31:43 AM
I don't really understand why people want more from the handheld game consoles but don't want more from their home consoles. If home consoles are still alive, even being a weaker PC, why do you think a 500$ tablet will be a better pick than a 150$ handheld console?
#10steerepikePosted 12/28/2013 8:46:13 AM
It's not there yet, but tablets will be on par with this gen's consoles by the end of the generation. Mark my words.

What if you just plugged it into your tv and played it like a console? Is it still the doom of gaming? ...or is it just a different way to play? Yes, tablet games, for the most part, suck. Given leaps in technology, they wouldn't have to, and I can not imagine that you can't already hook controllers to them.
---
))<>(( forever.