Not having a gamepad feels like a big step backwards to me now

#51wh0_kn0wsPosted 12/29/2013 2:00:34 PM
love the thing, all the dumbass anti posts around here are mediocre trolls or salted sony children
---
it's simple. just be nice.
#52shotokanjavPosted 12/29/2013 2:06:07 PM
I mostly agree also. If there is one characteristic I would use to describe the Gamepad, it would have to be"convenient". What I think that skeptics are not grasping is that it doesn't have to necessarily provide a revolution in play every single time. Instead many games and apps use it in a way that increase overall utility.

Just putting inventory, map, HUD elements etc. is enough for me. By now everyone familiar with DS and 3DS knows the usefulness of a second screen and there's little complaints. The way it functions with the browser is excellent.

People also have to stop thinking of it as a "tablet". The Gamepad is a fully functional traditional controller that just happens to have a touchscreen. Because there are buttons available to aid in the interface, the fact that the screen is not capacitive is not a problem.

Currently on PS3 I've been playing Borderlands 2 online, and I'm reminded of the convenience of the Gamepad when you have to shuffle through the game's maps and item categories using only button presses.

I don't have the Wind Waker HD, but I do think the new true Zelda (not HW) will put a lot of attention on the system and educate those who overlooked the controller's obvious benefits if it even improves on WWHD's interface.

The main complaints I do have about the controller is that the screen isn't HD and placement of the headset jack (should have been on the bottom and the Pro Controller needed one period!). Charging is not an issue for me since I'm never far away from the plug
---
NNID/PSN/Steam: Third-Drifter
#53MechaKoopa5000Posted 12/29/2013 2:09:48 PM
I really wish Bioshock Infinite had come out on Wii U. I'd have nabbed it on there for sure. Alas, I had to get it on 360. But yeah, Gamepad alone would have been more than enough to get it on Wii U. If it actually used the IR pointer, as well... well that'd just be fantastic. Really a missed opportunity.
---
http://i.imgur.com/8VnkoIH.jpg
#54Lemmywinks13(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2013 3:26:23 PM
The frustrating thing is that it's apparent by reading responses here that most people love the gamepad if only for being a HUD/map, yet most review sites ignore these features and rate the games as being the same. I strongly disagree with this as I think with equal effort, third party games on Wii U are much better just for the map. AC4 is a great example of this. Playing without the map is a huge step back I think.

As for Bioshock, I stand by my love for the game, though it does have flaws. I do find it funny that everyone bashes Nintendo for kiddy games when this is one of the easiest games I've ever played. There is always an arrow to tell you where to go and if you die you just respawn with no real punishment for dieing, almost like a lego game in that regard. Yet everyone still looks at games like this as being "hardcore".
#55wh0_kn0wsPosted 12/29/2013 3:27:55 PM
review sites can suck on these nuts
---
it's simple. just be nice.
#56vashtrichamPosted 12/29/2013 4:39:51 PM
wh0_kn0ws posted...
love the thing, all the dumbass anti posts around here are mediocre trolls or salted sony children

Wow instant ignore list
---
Marvel heroes: Cap and Gambit
#57DTY3Posted 12/29/2013 5:02:37 PM
vashtricham posted...
DTY3 posted...
People always downplay the usefulness of off tv play and map features or real time switching but at the end of the day, these are perks that make the games better.

Strongly disagree

Having optional perks is worse than not having them?

Wut.
---
Sonic Lost World Silent Forest Zone 1 USA Record:
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADMUKla-WiSyg
#58DorotimusWitikPosted 12/29/2013 5:11:47 PM
DTY3 posted...
vashtricham posted...
DTY3 posted...
People always downplay the usefulness of off tv play and map features or real time switching but at the end of the day, these are perks that make the games better.

Strongly disagree

Wut.

That's not what he said. He said that he disagrees with the notion that people downplay the usefulness of the things the WiiU gamepad provides. Maybe he just doesn't get that much value out of those features. I sure as hell know I don't. (And I love my WiiU. I just think the Gamepad was a bit pointless)
#59NovaLevossidaPosted 12/29/2013 5:14:17 PM
shotokanjav posted...
Just putting inventory, map, HUD elements etc. is enough for me.

Okay, seriously. HUD is a heads-up display. It's put on the screen so you don't have to look in a pause menu for it. Taking HUD elements and putting them somewhere you have to look to see is not a good thing and defeats the entire purpose of the HUD. HUD elements are on your main display for a reason.
---
I think the launch of other video game systems is also good for us - Iwata of Nintendo
the playstation 2 sure helped dreamcast - magemaximus
#60DTY3Posted 12/29/2013 5:16:26 PM
DorotimusWitik posted...
DTY3 posted...
vashtricham posted...
DTY3 posted...

Strongly disagree

Wut.

That's not what he said. He said that he disagrees with the notion that people downplay the usefulness of the things the WiiU gamepad provides. Maybe he just doesn't get that much value out of those features. I sure as hell know I don't. (And I love my WiiU. I just think the Gamepad was a bit pointless)

I'm gonna need him to specify which part of my post he was addressing.
---
Sonic Lost World Silent Forest Zone 1 USA Record:
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADMUKla-WiSyg