Wii U Gamepad Support Is Coming To PC!!

#21DaLaggaPosted 12/30/2013 1:41:51 AM(edited)
Solis posted...
It's good to see support for this, but aside from emulation, I don't really see much benefit to it. Even then, Wii U emulation is more than possible without the gamepad.

A lot of games would work fine without the gamepad (i.e. the majority of Wii U games that don't even really use it, just like how most Wii games played perfectly fine in Dolphin without a Wiimote). In the cases where it's used as a map or inventory, it wouldn't be hard to just have a separate window on the screen showing the gamepad view. But then there are some games that do unfortunately rely on the gamepad.

For example, how could you use standard controller or M&K to play an emulated version of Zombie U? Naturally, the game would have been easy to design for conventional controls which would have made playing easier than using the Wii U controller. But as far as emulation goes, I don't think it would work unless you had a physical Wii U gamepad to play it with.
#22SolisPosted 12/30/2013 5:48:44 AM
DaLagga posted...
For example, how could you use standard controller or M&K to play an emulated version of Zombie U? Naturally, the game would have been easy to design for conventional controls which would have made playing easier than using the Wii U controller. But as far as emulation goes, I don't think it would work unless you had a physical Wii U gamepad to play it with.

I don't think that's really a problem, it could work just like it does with DS emulation, where the second screen is simply shown on the main screen and can be interacted with using a mouse. Since the touchscreen is only single-point touch, a cursor click works just as well, and you can still use a keyboard, gamepad, etc for the rest of the inputs.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#23EoinPosted 12/30/2013 5:54:11 AM
DaLagga posted...
For example, how could you use standard controller or M&K to play an emulated version of Zombie U?

Split the screen in two and have the GamePad at the bottom. Or support an external monitor. Or allow streaming to a smartphone or tablet (which the same guys are working on as well). It could be hacky and awkward to have to use the mouse for touch controls and potentially swap from using a controller to using the mouse, but it'd work, and "awkward" seems to be what ZombiU was going for anyway.
#24kdognumba1Posted 12/30/2013 6:33:22 AM
This will only be interesting if they make some very unique mods for it. I personally would prefer using my 3 screens with a razor naga then using 1 screen with a Wii U Pad for my PC gaming.
---
http://backloggery.com/kdog254 http://www.twitch.tv/kdognumba1
3DS: 1676-3698-5986 PSN: jotaroxtreme NID/Ouya/XBL: kdog254 Steam: kdognumba1