Why did so many people turn their backs on Nintendo?

#11SegavsCapcomPosted 1/1/2014 6:14:16 PM
ZenGamer64 posted...
That's like asking why did folks turn their backs on VCRs.

Explain.
---
My sig will never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.
3DS FC: 1306-5920-0665 _PSN: SegavsCapcom_ Steam: SegavsCapcom_NNID: SegavsCapcom
#12fawfulmark2Posted 1/1/2014 6:18:09 PM
E3 2008 happened.
---
LoL name: The Noble Kip
Brawl FC: 2280-6185-9316
#13FayeLadyPosted 1/1/2014 6:33:12 PM
You have three basic groups that bought into the Wii.

First, the poster child casual gamer. The people most commonly associated with the console. The Grandparents, the soccer mom, the young child. These people aren't buying the Wii U because there is nothing wrong with the current system in their eyes. They don't upgrade simply because a new console is made available. The Wii was the first console for many of them, and they probably wont consider another till it breaks. Its just another appliance to them. Buying a new one is akin to replacing a working washing machine.

Second, the scorned gamer. These people bought a Wii based on the Nintendo name and were disappointed with what they received and how much they received. For some of these people, this is the the second Nintendo console in a row that support has been stopped early on. These guys are going to wait till the story plays out this time before spending money.

Third, you have the dedicated Nintendo gamer. This is where most of us on the forum probably are. These people either only play Nintendo games or are used to buying a Nintendo console along with any other system they play. A portion of these people make up the existing userbase and a portion of them are still waiting for content to be decent enough to warrant buying one. These people will buy one when the value proposition is right for them.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#14aiyobroPosted 1/1/2014 6:50:31 PM
Friend Codes on the Wii

Barely any games used the Wii's wifi and the system was supposed to be their first foray into online gaming, I think Call of Duty,Golden Eye Monster Hunter and some fighting games had it. Smash Bros only had two modes you could play and Mario Kart just has slow matchmaking.

When games were made, for the Wii, people only bought the no-name casual titles

Charging people 300 dollars for a Wii U with no game

*Rumors of weak CPU

No cloud based account system still
#15Lord_Ka1nPosted 1/1/2014 6:53:25 PM
i only read your first sentance for obvious reasons. but those 100 million wii owners are (mostly) cauals. casuals dont pay attention to the news and probably dont even know the wii u exists. casuals also are...casuals, and have switched over to phone games recently for the most part.
---
PSN - Lord_Ka1n (Current PS4 games - AC:BF, NFS Rivals)
3DS FC - 2680-9921-1203 - Feel free to add, pm me so i can get you back
#16aiyobroPosted 1/1/2014 7:00:46 PM
Basically I think a lot of people became uninterested in it once the ps360 started to drop in price.

By 2010 all of the hardcore gamers were starting to move on and a lot of core titles on the Wii simply didn't deserve recognition.
#17FloridaPanther(Topic Creator)Posted 1/1/2014 7:04:26 PM
Well I understand that a lot of casuals bought the system but what I always thought was that the casuals weren't with the wii during it's entire life. I had assumed that casuals moved on to ps3 and 360 since they offered ps move and kinect and the casuals just followed what was popular. I thought most of the casuals jumped to online and phone games way before the Wii's life ended. It's kinda scary to think that Mario Galaxy sold 10 mil, Mario Galaxy 2 sold 6 mil and Donkey Kong Country sold 5 mil only. Makes me wonder what the 90 other million Wii's were playing.
#18aiyobroPosted 1/1/2014 7:05:29 PM
most likely netflix
#19squatch22Posted 1/1/2014 7:06:11 PM
FloridaPanther posted...
Well I understand that a lot of casuals bought the system but what I always thought was that the casuals weren't with the wii during it's entire life. I had assumed that casuals moved on to ps3 and 360 since they offered ps move and kinect and the casuals just followed what was popular. I thought most of the casuals jumped to online and phone games way before the Wii's life ended. It's kinda scary to think that Mario Galaxy sold 10 mil, Mario Galaxy 2 sold 6 mil and Donkey Kong Country sold 5 mil only. Makes me wonder what the 90 other million Wii's were playing.

NSMB and Mario Kart sold over 30 million ...
---
NNID: Nin10do-1983 PSN: squatch1983
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#20FayeLadyPosted 1/1/2014 7:06:13 PM
FloridaPanther posted...
Makes me wonder what the 90 other million Wii's were playing.

For a lot of them, the same Wii Sports disc that came with the system.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.