Playing towards a goal vs playing to play because it's fun

#1EbonMagicianPosted 1/4/2014 2:29:37 AM
So I was playing pikmin and I realized that I was playing the game because it's fun, I wasn't looking forward to unlocking anything, I wasn't looking forward to "that point in the game you can do X and Y"

This got me thinking. I realized there are a lot of games I have played where it felt like the entire time I played it I was working towards a goal, frustrated until I got to this goal. I also realized that the games where I had a goal, those are the games I almost never finish. I'll usually get to the goal and just feel "huh.. well, I guess I'm here. now what?"

The latest example was playing Mario 3D Land the last month or so. I played it off and on casually but I really wanted to get to the end to see the secret levels. more specifically, I wanted to see how you got TO the special levels. I wanted to see what the point of getting all the coins were and such. once I beat the last castle and unlocked the special worlds, I felt like I was satisfied, like I was done.

So what games can you think of that fit into one or the other side? I recently got a Wii U and wind waker definitely falls into the "playing because it's fun" side.

when I played NSMB U, It seemed to fall into the "Goal" side. I wanted to see where the secret exits went and how to get to star road. I never even played star road once I got to it but I sure as hell spent the entire time playing really looking forward to finding out how to unlock star road! (I was pretty disapointed I didn't need to solve anything and it was just "given" to me at the end though, so that may be a factor)
---
3DS FC: Lotaphi 1118-1539-9491 Vita PSN: Bernkestel
FFXIV: Bernkastel Kues - Diabolos
#2YoyokuKOPosted 1/4/2014 2:36:23 AM
fun first, grindy ocd completionist later
#3YamatoShogunPosted 1/4/2014 2:49:29 AM
why can't a game be both fun and have goals?
---
PSN: Urajin, Recent Games - Ys Seven, Muramasa Demon Blade, The Walking Dead Season 1, GTA V, Assassin's Creed 4, Soul Sacrifice
#4EbonMagician(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2014 3:01:43 AM
YamatoShogun posted...
why can't a game be both fun and have goals?

I'm not talking about specific in game goals, I'm talking about a personal goal you create when you start playing. you are playing to get to/do/get X.

Kind of like MMOs. I have never played one and actually had much fun while playing, I was always playing to "reach end game" to "catch up with my friends" to "get this armor near end game that looks awesome".

It kind of feels like having future knowledge of things within a game is the main reasons these goals form. In an MMO, it's impossible to play 100% blind and not play towards a goal because you constantly see players with awesome armor, mounts and such. you see them and think "I can't wait to get to that point!"

In a way, it's almost like growing up and becoming an adult. As a kid a lot of people would look at the future and think "I can't WAIT to be an adult! I'll get to do THIS and THAT and it will be sooo cool!" Then they are an adult and suddenly they are just like "huh... I see..." meanwhile, they spent a lot of time as a kid just being angry they had to go to school and angry that they didn't have the freedom of being an "adult"
---
3DS FC: Lotaphi 1118-1539-9491 Vita PSN: Bernkestel
FFXIV: Bernkastel Kues - Diabolos