Metroid U idea: CYOA

#1IngSlayerPosted 1/4/2014 9:54:44 PM
I was just thinking about ways to utilize the GamePad with a first-person shooter Metroid, like scanning and choosing beams, and then I thought about choosing two different choices for things like what room out of two to enter, which lead me into considering giving players the ability to choose how the story progresses.

Now, you may say "uuuuuuuuuuh we do IT CALLED SEQUENCE BREAKING RARGH", but what about an unavoidable "fork in the road" where you HAVE to choose between two different ways to progress through the game and there is some trade-off for it?

Aside from the aforementioned rooms, say some rogue GF troops order you to not move. You can either handle the situation calmly or punish them for their impertinence. Or if those rogue troops threaten to do something bad, you could either allow it to happen or threaten to drop a power bomb and kill everyone in the area, using fear to get them to piss off.

Sounds like a good idea?
---
Sedix: Baffling Artist
#2KoffSyrupPosted 1/4/2014 9:55:39 PM
What does all that have to do with the gamepad?
---
Too crazy for Boys town.Too much of a boy for crazy town.
#3CrystalKing5426Posted 1/4/2014 10:02:24 PM
Nintendo already tried a CYOA with Star Fox: Command and it was utterly terrible.
---
Other M is the One More Day of Metroid
#4The_BonesPosted 1/4/2014 10:04:53 PM
They both sound like bad ideas to me.
#5stargazer1981Posted 1/4/2014 10:11:37 PM
CrystalKing5426 posted...
Nintendo already tried a CYOA with Star Fox: Command and it was utterly terrible.

After the stillborn that was Assault, Command was a nice change of pace. I enjoyed the lite strategy elements, and the fact that the characters spoke in gibberish again, ala SNES.
---
'We are both atheists. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.'
#6CrystalKing5426Posted 1/4/2014 10:19:03 PM
stargazer1981 posted...
CrystalKing5426 posted...

After the stillborn that was Assault, Command was a nice change of pace. I enjoyed the lite strategy elements, and the fact that the characters spoke in gibberish again, ala SNES.

Assault's plot and gameplay was blase but serviceable and had really good multiplayer. Command was way worse than it and the half-baked Zelda clone that was Adventures. Command's plot was completely ridiculous, the gameplay consisted of clearing out the same formations of enemies over and over and over, and the controls made me want to stab the stylus through the screen.
---
Other M is the One More Day of Metroid
#7IngSlayer(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2014 10:20:51 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]