Are high scores in games dead?

#1Dannyson97Posted 1/7/2014 6:10:32 PM
You know outside arcade games, and indie games.
Does anyone really keep a eye on their score in games? Very few games have them nowadays and the ones that do I just find myself forgetting it's there.
Are high scores dead?
---
I am a Christian and proud!
3DO appreciation month!
#2Maverick_ReznorPosted 1/7/2014 6:12:08 PM
Super Mario 3D World
---
Currently Playing : YS: Memories of Celceta, Megaman X2, and MH3U
Looking Forward To: Destiny, DKC:TF, MK8, I:SS, and The Order 1886
#3Geminia999Posted 1/7/2014 6:32:30 PM
Well, leaderboards are a thing. Honestly, I think score has been replaced with just speeding through things.
---
[::[_]::]Common sense
[+[_]::]just because you can doesn't mean you should
#4SuigintouEVPosted 1/7/2014 6:36:14 PM
Dannyson97 posted...
You know outside arcade games, and indie games.
Does anyone really keep a eye on their score in games? Very few games have them nowadays and the ones that do I just find myself forgetting it's there.
Are high scores dead?

back in the day, high scores were local. You only really had to compete with people you knew.

Nowadays your high score is global, and you're lucky to be one of the 1000 best players of a game. That's less exciting.
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II
#5TomoEK9Posted 1/7/2014 6:36:15 PM
Scores don't mean as much anymore. What people tend to care more about is completion time.
#6John_MagnumPosted 1/7/2014 6:36:24 PM
When there's cool stuff you can do to get a higher score, I appreciate it. Bulletstorm and Devil May Cry, for instance. But mostly they're not a thing anymore.
#7NovaLevossidaPosted 1/7/2014 6:36:29 PM
Leaderboards are all too commonly hacked, leaving scores just mostly a comparison between friends, if at all. Otherwise, that kind of mentality transferred over to FPS games with online stat tracking.
---
I think the launch of other video game systems is also good for us - Iwata of Nintendo
the playstation 2 sure helped dreamcast - magemaximus
#8LaManoNeraIIPosted 1/7/2014 6:53:12 PM
There's nothing to score in most games anymore. Games are about "feelings" rather than accomplishments
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
#9Dannyson97(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2014 8:35:42 PM
Maverick_Reznor posted...
Super Mario 3D World

At any point did you look at your score and say "Hey! I have a lot of points! I'm proud of that!"
When you played the original Megaman did anyone care about the score?
---
I am a Christian and proud!
3DO appreciation month!
#10snake_5036Posted 1/7/2014 9:04:45 PM
Resident Evil's Mercenaries mode is still fun to try and beat high scores in. Sometimes I try to get the max points possible in some Mario levels.
---
Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady.