JUST got a Wii U.. Sonic Lost World <3

#11distr0iaPosted 1/14/2014 3:28:33 PM
Hmm. The demo was alright...

Maybe I'll give it another go.
#12heartlesshero17Posted 1/14/2014 3:36:26 PM
WW was technically my first game cause of the bundle, but Sonic was the first I actually decided to go out and buy. Had a blast personally. Terrible bosd fights and bonus world, but loved everything else
---
http://i.imgur.com/0XFg1NY.png
#13DroneHunterPosted 1/14/2014 3:37:28 PM
You're not allowed to like wii u TC get with the program!
---
Still waiting on that list lefty :P
3ds: 4554 0783 8442 (Need: Trevenant, Excadrill, and Ditto Friend Safaris)
#14manmousePosted 1/14/2014 10:22:19 PM
i really like Lost World. its theming is definitely a real treat for OG Sonic fans. plus they removed arena buttrock and brought back epic-yet-funky world music to make it exotic and fun sounding again, and majestic for the more serene and beautiful levels. and spindash is back!

however i do agree with some criticism, like its controls are a bit too loose at times. walking should have really tightened Sonic up, but he still felt kinda meh.

and there were so many unnecessary design elements added. the clouds are a nightmare, no fun at all. and those butterfly segments in the tropical zones were such a buzzkill. just tiptoeing around a pitfall-infested grid to collect bugs in order to open a launcher, not fun. and the levels could have played much better without wisps. it's one thing to make a more platforming-focused Sonic, but then to constantly hamfistedly insert powers that have nothing to do with platforming kinda kills the platformer vibe. laser is just an imprecise way to skip segments of the level, asteroid is the spawn of satan, eagle is another method of just skipping parts of the level, rocket is just a way to move on to another section, but drill was pretty cool.

overall i think they found a footing with it, but now they need to really do something with the good ideas and create a more fluid experience.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#15CubeTVPosted 1/14/2014 10:46:12 PM
^I almost forgot about the wisps in the game. I like how they are actually optional. You can get them if you want a easier time, but you can skip them if you have enough skill unless it's required to get them.

I skipped out on the "boost" mechanic om Sonic games people keep talking about. I've only "tried" them (Sonic Unleashed, Sonic and The Black Knight, Sonic Colors which were all a lot of fun) and it was a lot of fun. Sometimes (since I'm not used to it), I even forgot it was there which was a bit silly. Is it really as bad as people say it is "boost to win"? or is just slang for like a "easy" button?
---
YouTube: www.Youtube.com/AdNintendogs
#16manmousePosted 1/14/2014 11:01:14 PM
CubeTV posted...
^I almost forgot about the wisps in the game. I like how they are actually optional. You can get them if you want a easier time, but you can skip them if you have enough skill unless it's required to get them.

I skipped out on the "boost" mechanic om Sonic games people keep talking about. I've only "tried" them (Sonic Unleashed, Sonic and The Black Knight, Sonic Colors which were all a lot of fun) and it was a lot of fun. Sometimes (since I'm not used to it), I even forgot it was there which was a bit silly. Is it really as bad as people say it is "boost to win"? or is just slang for like a "easy" button?

Colors was, in my opinion, the smoothest execution of it since it blended more with platforming.
Generations went boost-crazy, and then separated platforming into the Classic Sonic parts.
and Unleashed was boost-heavy, with little true involvement in the levels themselves, while making a shallow God of War style gameplay for the other half, leading to the strangest pacing ever.

anyway, "boost-2-win" is an exaggeration. i personally dislike boost, of course, but it's not because it's a simple auto-win mechanic.

it just removes the feeling of playing as Sonic, IMO. like it's a kart racer, and you're just accelerating in a vehicle that just happens to look like Sonic and it's passing all the scenery by, and you don't feel like you're really playing as the famous hedgehog or experiencing his worlds. most hazards can be negated by boosting through them, true responsive control is sacrificed in order to make him feel more like a car that you have little control over. to me, it just kills the whole idea of it being a platformer and the speed feels shallow since you don't "earn" it, it just happens and keeps pushing you forward even when you don't do anything.
as opposed to, say, Sonic 3+Knuckles, where if you blaze through Sky Sanctuary it's because you got REALLY good at the game and got rewarded with being able to do incredible things within the levels while novice players take it slow. when i start blasting through a level in Sonic 2, 3, or S&K, i feel like, "whoa! i'm doing it! i'm pulling this off, and it's awesome!" but in Unleashed, it's just like, "cool. this is my first time playing, i'm fast. alright."
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY