3D World >> Galaxy 2 >> Galaxy >> 64

#71The_DOAMPosted 1/15/2014 9:11:43 AM
Weltall548 posted...
mjc0961 posted...
No. 3D World isn't even the same kind of game as the other 3 and thus shouldn't be ranked with them.

But they're all 3D Platformers

Yeah and Paper Mario, New Super Mario Bros, and Mario and Luigi all have Mario in it as well as the standard cast and crew.

3d is the newest offshoot from the series and people didn't look at the second game in the New series and say hey that's a main title Mario game. So I don't see why people look at the 3d and instantly put it in that category.

SMB(NES)-SMW(SNES)-64(64)-Sunshine(Cube)-Galaxy(Wii)-?
Also don't count the numbered titles either as in the part 2 and 3's each game has had one in one form or another aside for Sunshine which I've always found odd.
---
Ignorance is Bliss...
#72OMEGA RUGALPosted 1/15/2014 9:22:23 AM
I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but I am really suprised seeing anyone list Sunshine as the best 3D Mario game.

For me it ...

Galaxy 2 > Galaxy 1 > 3D World >>>>>>>>>>>>> Mario Sunshine > Mario 64.

But for it's time ... Mario 64 > all of them.
---
PSN & Live: Loadedklip
Heroes need to win all the time to be remembered. Villains only need to win once
#732wingedangelPosted 1/15/2014 9:25:46 AM
Galaxy > 3D World > Sunshine > 64 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Galaxy 2
---
3DS FC: 1048-8562-6194
I refuse to buy Pokemon Rumble U until they make a Cyndaquil figurine.
#74OMEGA RUGALPosted 1/15/2014 9:26:09 AM
Endgame posted...
it's bad enough that people think Galaxy's quick cash-in sequel is superior to the original

It depends on what you are judging.

Which was more refreshing, creative and original? Galaxy 1 easily.

But if BOTH Games came out on the same day ... which one had better level design, more variety, better bosses .... Galaxy 2 easily.

So again ... it depends how you are looking at it.

Mario 64 is without question the best 3D Mario for it's time ... but it's technically aged and not the best NOW.
---
Heroes need to win all the time to be remembered. Villains only need to win once
#75OMEGA RUGALPosted 1/15/2014 9:26:40 AM
2wingedangel posted...

How is this possible? Please explain.
---
#762wingedangelPosted 1/15/2014 9:48:37 AM
OMEGA RUGAL posted...
2wingedangel posted...

Lol at "better level design, more variety, better bosses."

I'd say Galaxy 2 is just a copy paste, but it's not even that. The level design was much lazier than the original. There wasn't a single gap you couldn't cross with a long jump and a spin, and the cloud suit practically destroies any challenge that comes from platforming IN A GAME BASED AROUND PLATFORMING. The rock suit was also a pain to use, so the only variety left is Yoshi, because there totally wasn't anything in the original that could be done without him.

As for the bosses, literally every boss in Galaxy 2 had painfully obvious weak points. Oh gee, a derpy dragon with pink bulges on its body for no reason, I wonder where I need to hit it. Thank you Bowser Jr, for telling me I need to hit the bulges. Also, the final boss goes down in 15 seconds.

Need I go on? Because I've barely scratched the surface.
---
3DS FC: 1048-8562-6194
I refuse to buy Pokemon Rumble U until they make a Cyndaquil figurine.
#77NejiHyuga900Posted 1/15/2014 9:50:39 AM(edited)
3D Land > 64 DS

That's all I played in the 3D Super Mario games. Oh, and I also played the demo of Sunshine but I can't include that.
---
Xbox/Windows Gamertag & NNID: TDPNeji | Steam ID & PSN: NejiHyuga900
I am a thunder dragon. Hear me roar thunder and breath out lightning!
#78The_DjokerPosted 1/15/2014 10:00:38 AM
donkeyjack posted...
There was barely any platforming like its predecessors.

More like an open world game. That's not platforming.

Banjo-Kazooie always sucked because it took 64's premise to new heights.

It is mot nostalgia. Stop taking the easy out and saying it is nostalgia

anyone who says BK sucked is either stupid or just trolling.
---
http://s18.postimg.org/mci4aub49/image.png
#79OMEGA RUGALPosted 1/15/2014 10:05:41 AM(edited)
2wingedangel posted...
OMEGA RUGAL posted...
2wingedangel posted...

Lol at "better level design, more variety, better bosses."

I'd say Galaxy 2 is just a copy paste, but it's not even that. The level design was much lazier than the original. There wasn't a single gap you couldn't cross with a long jump and a spin, and the cloud suit practically destroies any challenge that comes from platforming IN A GAME BASED AROUND PLATFORMING. The rock suit was also a pain to use, so the only variety left is Yoshi, because there totally wasn't anything in the original that could be done without him.

As for the bosses, literally every boss in Galaxy 2 had painfully obvious weak points. Oh gee, a derpy dragon with pink bulges on its body for no reason, I wonder where I need to hit it. Thank you Bowser Jr, for telling me I need to hit the bulges. Also, the final boss goes down in 15 seconds.

Need I go on? Because I've barely scratched the surface.

wow ... I found Galaxy 2 harder. Galaxy 1 had a lot of super easy stages early on. Wasn't until late in the game Galaxy 1 got tough ... felt Galaxy 2 started much harder right off the bat.

LOVED all the power ups in Galaxy 2 as well and the levels were even more fast paced and had more demanding platforming I thought.

I guess to each their own ... I feel both games are super similar but with Galaxy 2 being the better of the two. Galaxy 2 ... despite not having the originality of Galaxy 1 ... scored just as high in Gamerankings and Metacritic.

Guess you are saying all those reviewers were dead wrong then as the main reason for scoring it so high was that while not as original, they pretty much all agreed it was Galaxy 1 on roids. Wasn't as original of course ... but definitely similar while being technically better in almost every single way.
---
#80Golden MavenPosted 1/15/2014 4:25:22 PM
manmouse posted...
much like people's opinion of the Beatles is still valid even if they were born decades after the breakup

I never liked the Beatles, and I prefer music from my generation. That doesn't mean I'll walk around saying the music I prefer is better. The Beatles had far more of an impact than anything I listen to whether the music tickles my ears or not. So instead of saying they are bad like some kids are saying about Mario 64, I'll say well I personally don't like their music and leave it at that. Not rank it lower than what I prefer. I wasn't around in the 60s, I missed the whole context they operated in.

Think of how absurd it is. Analogies aside, we're talking about the game that laid the foundation and rocked the gaming industry in 1996. All Marios after it were just a continuation of what Mario 64 started, or in some cases a return to the 2D style of play. Not a single Mario has had as much of an impact, because none of them broke new ground.

Also, the sequels may have perfected the mechanics and whatnot, but that is to be expect. Everything evolves, including our standards for these games. Mario 64 did what it did in 1996, and that's what was so damn impressive. My standards went up since then, none of theses new Marios are rocking my socks off.