Nintendo's future does not lie in smartphones. Why did Iwata even suggest that?

#31SaffronGhostPosted 1/23/2014 7:55:12 AM(edited)
EGMRULZ posted...
In the past they even said that the "Nintendo value" would be reduced if they released Mario and other games on smartphones and ipads. Well, the recent announcement seems like a backface to me.

How would it be a backface? They no longer have "Nintendo value". It's called desperation, and it's a decent option if you knew anything about the world we now live in.

Candy Crush makes like 50 million dollars a day or some crap, totally not a "valid" market cause gfaqs kids say so though.

Deal with the death of "your company", like most of us did in '97.
---
Millions of people playing a free game does not make said game popular - AhnoldDood, arguing that Angry Birds "isn't popular at all".
#32CrysianiaPosted 1/23/2014 7:54:22 AM
Simply, mobile gaming is easy money for a well known developer.
---
PSN - Sacred_Darksoul
#33SaffronGhostPosted 1/23/2014 7:54:40 AM
Final Fantasy2389 posted...
Lefty128k posted...
Ayobro posted...
The Yamuichi family said if the console dies the IP's die basically

Plus people might not like the games with the phone controls so it'd give nintendo a weird image

there's plenty of games on your phone anyway

That's just a scare tactic.
"Buy our console now or we'll have to bury Mario."

Mario will go on other systems before that happens because money is money.

People play complex games like GTA San Andreas on smartphones. Nintendo games and their simpler gameplay won't be an issue. Especially the Mario sidescrollers where it's basically 2-3 buttons.

Yeah, people play complex games like GTA SA on smartphones and tablets. With terrible controls. It's downright awful to play. I'd rather play Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. At least I'd have a controller.

Cause there aren't smartphone controllers, right? Derp.
---
Millions of people playing a free game does not make said game popular - AhnoldDood, arguing that Angry Birds "isn't popular at all".
#34Final Fantasy2389Posted 1/23/2014 10:19:38 AM
Not ones that come with my phone already. So I'd have to shell out extra money for something I could just buy on a console or play on the PC copy I already own. Also, you want me to lug around a controller add-on for a phone so I can play games on the go? That defeats the purpose of portability. At least with Vita and 3DS the controls are built in.
---
http://bit.ly/YH0AmG
#35Voysa_ReezunPosted 1/23/2014 10:22:17 AM
Iwata suggested it to head off the concerns of shareholders, in my view. "Don't worry, we have a plan. See how much money Candy Crush is making on phones? We can do the same thing except with Mario!"

Shareholders, who often are dunces about the business they are shareholders of, go "DURR OK SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD PLAN TO ME MY GRANDKIDS LOVE THAT CANDY CRUSH ON THEIR PHONES GUESS I SHOULDN'T SELL MY SHARES" and share prices take a hit, but are able to stabilize and recover.

This is my guess.
---
Faves of last gen (360): 1. Alpha Protocol; 2. Sonic Generations; 3. Batman: Arkham Asylum; 4. Saints Row 2; 5. Fallout 3; Best DL: Costume Quest, Iron Brigade
#36Crazy_tank51Posted 1/23/2014 10:37:17 AM
SaffronGhost posted...
EGMRULZ posted...
In the past they even said that the "Nintendo value" would be reduced if they released Mario and other games on smartphones and ipads. Well, the recent announcement seems like a backface to me.

How would it be a backface? They no longer have "Nintendo value". It's called desperation, and it's a decent option if you knew anything about the world we now live in.

Candy Crush makes like 50 million dollars a day or some crap, totally not a "valid" market cause gfaqs kids say so though.

Candy Crap is just one game though. In addition to it making millions a day, we have 70% of apps that never get downloaded, an average revenue of $1000 for your typical iOS game, and huge companies like Square using their big guns (FF) on iOS games and failing.

Candy Crush is an anomaly. The App Store is not a place for companies like Nintendo.
---
Sega is what EAin't.
3DS: 3909-7785-1874 (Crazytank*) Steam ID: CrazytankXD
#37SaffronGhostPosted 1/23/2014 11:55:38 PM
Final Fantasy2389 posted...
Not ones that come with my phone already. So I'd have to shell out extra money for something I could just buy on a console or play on the PC copy I already own. Also, you want me to lug around a controller add-on for a phone so I can play games on the go? That defeats the purpose of portability. At least with Vita and 3DS the controls are built in.

The controllers are like $15. Phones can (easily) be free or next to it these days. The "controllers" attach to the phone, making them (still) smaller than most portables, and a "singular" device. You clearly have no idea what we're even talking about, and the parts you do seem to somewhat grasp, you're reaching insanely far just to makes excuses it wouldn't work. Funneh.

Crazy_tank51 posted...
SaffronGhost posted...
EGMRULZ posted...

Candy Crap is just one game though. In addition to it making millions a day, we have 70% of apps that never get downloaded, an average revenue of $1000 for your typical iOS game, and huge companies like Square using their big guns (FF) on iOS games and failing.

Candy Crush is an anomaly. The App Store is not a place for companies like Nintendo.

Most of those numbers aren't very correct, but the point you're making is mostly correct so I'll just move on.

Obviously a game bringing in that much cash isn't "normal". It's basically a remake of Bejeweled, a simple puzzle game that people already knew. So, why couldn't Nintendo make millions with say....a new Tetris game? It's exactly the type of game mobile gamers want. It would have nostalgia for tons and would bring in some of you who normally wouldn't even play mobile games. Angry Birds Go is a Mario Kart style game, for the same exact reasons as above, why couldn't a new Mario Kart succeed?

I can't seem to find any articles about Squares mobile games "failing", but I wouldn't be surprised. They, for whatever reason, go against the price-plan of virtually all successful mobile games. "Free" + in-app purchases are how you succeed, not charging virtually the same price as retail console games, as Square is doing in most cases.

As long as Nintendo is "smart" enough to see that, there's no reason they couldn't clean up in the mobile market. I agree with the point I think you're making about it not being huge with their current market. Matters not. They would be a great fit for a whole new, and bigger, market. And when was the last time they were financially successful? When they did exactly that (the Wii).
---
#38ssjgohhkuPosted 1/24/2014 4:24:52 AM
Crysiania posted...

Square rage quit making games for mobile because they actually lost money making them.
#39Retroxgamer0Posted 1/24/2014 4:29:16 AM
smartphone games are crap. its true they sell more, but thats because theyre selling to non gamers who just play them for 5 minutes inbetween work breaks at work. its not sold to actual gamers like us. any GAMER that tries a tablet game quickly looks at it in relative disgust. there isnt a single ios or android game worthy of our time.
#40Retroxgamer0Posted 1/24/2014 4:31:05 AM(edited)
ssjgohhku posted...
Crysiania posted...

Square rage quit making games for mobile because they actually lost money making them.

i think they put their image even more in the crapper by making cellphone games, because they lost support of actual gamers when they heard theyre cashing in on cheap cellphone games that suck, and are just money grabbers. why would i want to support a company that not only doesnt make good games anymore, but suckers casual nongamers to spend excessive amounts of money on cheap cash ins? it shows me the company isnt worth my time anymore. at all.