New Business structure = New "3rd Pillar" hardware?

#1adampeltzPosted 1/19/2014 7:19:04 PM
It seems like the climate is similar to when Nintendo developed and released the original DS back in 2004. The GBA had been out for only 3 years and the GCN was selling quite sluggishly. Plus, there are rumors that Nintendo is working on new hardware:

http://wccftech.com/rumor-nintendo-working-nextgen-console-soc-selected/

What do you think? No doubt, the DS was daring and it changed Nintendo's fortunes for several years (although it had a pretty lukewarm start... people complained about it a lot on these boards during launch). Could they be readying some sort of hardware for 2014?
---
http://nostaljunk.wordpress.com/
XBL Gamertag: Peltz | Wii U NNID: Peltz-0 | 3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691 | PSN ID: Peltz-0
#2__Cam__Posted 1/19/2014 7:22:57 PM
Nintendo's "new" SoC is most likely a new variant of the same one used for the Wii U, as the previous factory had been shut down last year.

The only new viable hardware for them would be something bridging the gap (AKA - Replacing) both the Wii U and 3DS, which in my opinion, would work well as a gaming tablet.
---
You're awesome.
#3FayeLadyPosted 1/19/2014 7:23:14 PM
Its PR speak so it can mean pretty much anything. Realistically tho, they won't have new hardware ready to go anytime soon, so I have my doubts its that.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#4adampeltz(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2014 10:27:03 AM
FayeLady posted...
Its PR speak so it can mean pretty much anything. Realistically tho, they won't have new hardware ready to go anytime soon, so I have my doubts its that.

What if it's backwards compatible with Wii U and/or 3DS?
---
XBL Gamertag: Peltz | PSN ID: Peltz-0
Wii U NNID: Peltz-0 | 3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691
#5gnomelord255Posted 1/21/2014 9:20:15 AM
adampeltz posted...
FayeLady posted...

What if it's backwards compatible with Wii U and/or 3DS?

Now you're starting to think.
#6GEKGanonPosted 1/21/2014 9:25:45 AM
This "third pillar" is such marketing slang. There is no "third pillar". There was never a "third pillar". The DS? It wasn't a "third pillar", it was a damned successor.
---
Steam Name: gekganon
#7Lord_of_BeefDipPosted 1/23/2014 7:14:53 AM
GEKGanon posted...
This "third pillar" is such marketing slang. There is no "third pillar". There was never a "third pillar". The DS? It wasn't a "third pillar", it was a damned successor.

Yes, they only said that to cover their asses in case the concept fell flat on it's own ass. Had the DS bombed I can guarantee that they still would have brushed it under the rug and rode out the GBA for a few more years, before releasing a successor.

Afterall, the GBA was selling extremely well, and might have hit 100 million if left alone for 2-3 more years. More than likely they still were tinkering around with prototypes for a new GB in case the "3rd pillar" went south.
---
..."go put on your favorite lingerie and streak in your public library while yelling about how sexy you'd look as a dolphin." - Ghasts
#8ChA0TiCoNePosted 1/23/2014 7:19:40 AM
3rd pillar? There isn't really any other markets where Nintendo could be competitive. If they go anywhere near Apple's territory, phones & tablets, they'd get burned even harder than Sony and Microsoft is burning them in the console market.
#9halomonkey1_3_5Posted 1/23/2014 7:31:43 AM
I've said it in a couple other topics, but I could see them making a standalone "gamepad" based console that is a console/handheld "hybrid"(I.E. its a portable system, but its big enough to pack serious hardware(relative to smartphones and the current handheld consoles) and can output to a TV).
---
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest
#10adampeltz(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2014 10:42:41 AM
halomonkey1_3_5 posted...
I've said it in a couple other topics, but I could see them making a standalone "gamepad" based console that is a console/handheld "hybrid"(I.E. its a portable system, but its big enough to pack serious hardware(relative to smartphones and the current handheld consoles) and can output to a TV).

I've been saying that is where they would eventually go with their hardware way back when they merged their handheld and console divisions back in early 2013... however, I think the "output" as you said will be in the form of wireless streaming with a dock/dongle that stays connected to an HDMI port.

Now, since I've created this topic, there are all sorts of rumors about the new hardware flying around. I'm telling you, they will cut this gen even shorter than they did the GBA/GCN generation by releasing the DS 3 years into that generation.

Imagine if it were backwards compatible with Wii, Wii U, DS, and 3DS and hooked up to an HDTV. That way, they're not "abandoning" the old formats, while still accomplishing the re branding that they so desperately need at this point.

Look at it this way, if they really consolidated all their hardware into one platform, gamers would never complain about Nintendo "droughts" again. Look at how many games they were able to release last year on 3DS vs. Wii U... Now imagine if 3DS and Wii U were just one platform.... suddenly gamers have no reason to complain.

Nintendo has a divided audience for their games right now. Whenever they make a handheld or console game, they only speak to one of their two communities. Merging them would solve a lot of the problems they've had since the N64.
---
XBL Gamertag: Peltz | PSN ID: Peltz-0
Wii U NNID: Peltz-0 | 3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691