Why do we accept excuses from 3rd. party companies?

#1jillwarrenPosted 1/20/2014 7:40:29 PM
http://familygamerdad.blogspot.com/2014/01/why-do-we-accept-excuses-from-3rd-party.html

My first console was an Atari; I have no idea what model, I just know I used to play River Raid and Frogger on it. I grew up with and NES, then later a SNES, and an N64. I liked my 64, but I sorely missed RPGs, so I picked a PS2 over a Gamecube. The motion controls and Virtual Console had me pick up a Wii and later Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy 13 got me on board with the PS3. It wasn't until the launch of the Wii-U that I really began to understand the serious problems Sony and Nintendo has been having with 3rd. party companies.

It is very easy to look at the Wii-U's poor ports as being the fault of the system. Even though the console is obviously more advanced that the 360 and PS3, it is designed in a completely different way. To get the best out of the system a developer has to work with it, and many do not see the reason to. In many ways, this is understandable. If a system does not sell a lot, or your previous games on that system do not sell well, then it takes a determined effort to really make something special for the system. Some companies don't think it is worth the effort, and I not only understand that, but I have no problem with it.

Still it seems baffling that companies would put so little effort into games like Madden 13 or Mass Effect 3 (on a side note I wonder if the same people who complained about Windwaker HD being $50 also complained about Mass Effect 3 being $60). At first it seems a little bit like an attempt at sabotaging their own game sales on a Nintendo platform. It really feels like some kind of crazy conspiracy theory. Having never owned a 360, I missed part of the problem. Looking at the field as a whole there is a severe problem, at least as I see it. 3rd party developers ARE very, very lazy.

With the Wii it seemed to make sense. The platform was much less powerful than its HD competitors, and in many cases its ports were surprisingly adapt. Outside of Call of Duty 3, every one of the Call of Duty games were very well made. Some games even took steps to set themselves apart, such as the Ghostbusters game which offered additional features. For the most part though, Nintendo still didn't get real 3rd party ports. Instead they got watered down games which were just somewhat similar to the games they were based on. Again, the Wii's power level is to blame for this, but what of the PS3?

In terms of power levels the PS3 should be easy to port games to, right? Not really though. Apparently the PS3's design is dramatically different than the 360's. Here in lies the problem. In deciding to mix and match multiple consoles the go to solution was to develop the game on the 360, and then rig it up to work on the PS3. When two games are ran side by side the PS3 version generally suffers the most. This is not because the PS3 is inferior, but rather because developers just won't take the time to use the PS3 to its full potential. While the trend continuing to the Wii-U is funny for the haters of the platform, it makes me really wonder what the future has in store for us. Will the X-Box1 and PS4 have the exact same games, or will developers take the easy way out?

The major critics will claim that the excuses about failing to use the Wii-U's advantages are its own fault. Just like it was when Sony made the PS3 too difficult to program for. Or the N64 didn't have enough memory. Or the Saturn was too hard to program for. My point is merely this: every console will have flaws in it. In cases like the Wii, that makes ports too difficult. However, when 3rd parties could do more with the hardware and make great games, but makes inferior ports, why do we accept their excuses instead of hold them to a higher standard?

Thoughts?
---
NN: peteywarren PSN: peteywarren0829
I give God all glory. Just so you know, I am a guy; my wife picked this username.
#2squatch22Posted 1/20/2014 7:41:07 PM
We don't?
---
NNID: Nin10do-1983 PSN: squatch1983
Welcome to DoubleStandardsFAQs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpwxF2L37M8
#3SolisPosted 1/20/2014 8:01:47 PM
It is very easy to look at the Wii-U's poor ports as being the fault of the system.

Sometimes it's easy to see the truth.

In deciding to mix and match multiple consoles the go to solution was to develop the game on the 360, and then rig it up to work on the PS3. When two games are ran side by side the PS3 version generally suffers the most. This is not because the PS3 is inferior, but rather because developers just won't take the time to use the PS3 to its full potential

Uhh, no, the problem WAS that the PS3 was pretty damn inferior hardware-wise in some key areas. You don't just have a game running on two systems where one has a notably worse GPU and end up with the same results on both unless you're artificially restricting the game to the performance level of the lower end hardware.

Although looking at that blog in general, I shouldn't be surprised to see that kind of mindset.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#4jillwarren(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2014 8:21:04 PM
Solis posted...
It is very easy to look at the Wii-U's poor ports as being the fault of the system.

Sometimes it's easy to see the truth.

In deciding to mix and match multiple consoles the go to solution was to develop the game on the 360, and then rig it up to work on the PS3. When two games are ran side by side the PS3 version generally suffers the most. This is not because the PS3 is inferior, but rather because developers just won't take the time to use the PS3 to its full potential

Uhh, no, the problem WAS that the PS3 was pretty damn inferior hardware-wise in some key areas. You don't just have a game running on two systems where one has a notably worse GPU and end up with the same results on both unless you're artificially restricting the game to the performance level of the lower end hardware.

Although looking at that blog in general, I shouldn't be surprised to see that kind of mindset.

The PS3 was plenty good enough to make ports that ran very well on it. The problem was that it took more work to make it happen. It is the exact same with the ports on the Wii-U. It would take more work to make them run than just putting it on the system. Most Wanted should not be the exception, and plenty of games for the PS3 would work just fine if the effort had been put into it.

I'm not arguing that developers have to make anything, but I am arguing that as gamers why should we continue to accept when developers give less than their best. This is not a Wii-U exclusive problem.
---
NN: peteywarren PSN: peteywarren0829
I give God all glory. Just so you know, I am a guy; my wife picked this username.
#5aiyobroPosted 1/20/2014 8:30:38 PM
I always judge games for what they're worth

It's pretty easy
---
"That's a Blu Ray player, not a PS3, that's why it can't read the game"-rswsc0407
#6TomoEK9Posted 1/20/2014 8:32:37 PM
Haven't most of the current ports for the Wii U looked and performed the best when compared to the PS3 and 360 versions?

Considering how much older those consoles are, I wouldn't be surprised that the Wii U would outperform them but considering the disparity between the PS4/Xbone and the Wii, I can imagine trying to port anything over would become much more of a headache.
#7SolisPosted 1/20/2014 8:36:13 PM(edited)
jillwarren posted...
The PS3 was plenty good enough to make ports that ran very well on it.

But they obviously weren't going to run as well as on a system that's more capable in key areas.

Why should developers be expected to put an insurmountably higher amount of time and effort to getting a game running better on a more problematic platform, when that same amount of time can be instead spent on making the game simply run better on EVERY platform and allow the more capably designed platforms to actually utilize their capabilities? What's being advocated here is basically that certain platforms be given MORE attention because they're harder to take advantage of. That's frankly favoritism, and should be discouraged more than anything.

TomoEK9 posted...
Haven't most of the current ports for the Wii U looked and performed the best when compared to the PS3 and 360 versions?

A vast majority of multiplatform games that are on the PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii U end up with the Wii U looking and/or running worse than one or both of the other console versions. Sometimes a Wii U version will manage to outperform the PS3 edition, though.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#8aiyobroPosted 1/20/2014 8:37:55 PM
TomoEK9 posted...

Considering how much older those consoles are, I wouldn't be surprised that the Wii U would outperform them but considering the disparity between the PS4/Xbone and the Wii, I can imagine trying to port anything over would become much more of a headache.

Yeah, but computer games have ways that YOU yes YOU can turn down the graphics so they run.
---
"That's a Blu Ray player, not a PS3, that's why it can't read the game"-rswsc0407
#9SychinLegacyPosted 1/20/2014 8:38:35 PM
Like I've said before. The gaming community is nothing but children and overgrown children. One aspect of that is lack of discipline. Gamers can't contr themselves even when third parties screw then over with horrible business practices, nickle and diming their customers, and deception. And they do it openly. Why? Because they know you gamers have no discipline and will always buy their products no matter what they do. You just have to have their "new" games that are nothing more than 60 dollar roster updates and map packs. And you can't live without their 15 dollar DLC and micro transactions that used to be free and called content patches.

I personally don't accept third parties excuses. If they do this crap I don't buy their products. And I'm ok with it. That's what you need to start doing. Every time you buy their incomplete games and rehashes you tell them it's ok to keep doing it. So stop. But then again I've never associated myself with the gamer population.

PS no it is not ok to pirate a game under any circumstances. That is theft and is illegal. Don't even try.
#10TomoEK9Posted 1/20/2014 8:38:40 PM
aiyobro posted...
TomoEK9 posted...

Yeah, but computer games have ways that YOU yes YOU can turn down the graphics so they run.

Porting a game over is more than turning off AA, shaders and lowering texture quality.