Let's talk power and hardware. challenge.

#1sanas_thirituPosted 1/23/2014 5:44:02 AM
I have an issue with media and people calling the Wii u underpowered. Fact is, no one can actually prove it.. let me put down some factual statements and you can derive your own conclusions.

1. No one has any clue about the real power of the gpu in the Wii u. The rumours of 400 gflops is just that - a rumour. It's NOT been confirmed by Nintendo.

2. X 86 archietecture is known to be less memory efficient and less scalable compared to power pc archietecture. By how much is not known, but it's known that you can make do with lesser numbers with ppc compared to x86.

3. Lots of developers have gone on recording vouching for the power of the Wii u. It's generally accepted that the Wii u multi platform games were lazy ports. Given a little effort, the Wii u games can look every bit as good as the XBone.

4. Wii u currently has more games running at 1080p 60 than the other two consoles.

I'm not arguing that the Wii u is as powerful as the ps4.. but it's definitely as effective as the XBone in terms of power. All this talk about the Wii u being similar to the 360 and ps3 is just media trolling.

If you believe otherwise, you are free to try to prove me wrong. Chances are that you'll find that very difficult because arguing against facts is inherently hard.
---
The purpose of my life is to play games. Its the reason I even work.
#2sanas_thiritu(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2014 6:00:52 AM
5. Not a single game on the ps4 or XBone looks as good as X or mk8.
---
#3Lefty128kPosted 1/23/2014 6:05:26 AM
sanas_thiritu posted...
I have an issue with media and people calling the Wii u underpowered. Fact is, no one can actually prove it.. let me put down some factual statements and you can derive your own conclusions.

1. No one has any clue about the real power of the gpu in the Wii u. The rumours of 400 gflops is just that - a rumour. It's NOT been confirmed by Nintendo.

2. X 86 archietecture is known to be less memory efficient and less scalable compared to power pc archietecture. By how much is not known, but it's known that you can make do with lesser numbers with ppc compared to x86.

3. Lots of developers have gone on recording vouching for the power of the Wii u. It's generally accepted that the Wii u multi platform games were lazy ports. Given a little effort, the Wii u games can look every bit as good as the XBone.

4. Wii u currently has more games running at 1080p 60 than the other two consoles.

I'm not arguing that the Wii u is as powerful as the ps4.. but it's definitely as effective as the XBone in terms of power. All this talk about the Wii u being similar to the 360 and ps3 is just media trolling.

If you believe otherwise, you are free to try to prove me wrong. Chances are that you'll find that very difficult because arguing against facts is inherently hard.

Contradiction.
#4sanas_thiritu(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2014 6:10:32 AM
Lefty128k posted...
sanas_thiritu posted...

Contradiction.

Not really. We can't compare absolute numbers and that's a fact. But we sure can compare image quality because we can see that. And here, despite the numerous developer advantages the XBone possesses like easier archietecture, the graphics quality of the Wii u trumps the one on the XBone. We can conclude then that the Wii u is LIKELY to be atleast as powerful as the XBone.

What the media and trolls CANNOT do is to prove with numbers that the Wii u has weak hardware. That's what my post is all about.
---
#5djcaetanoPosted 1/23/2014 6:48:56 AM
Comparing clock speed of different processors (PPC is pure RISC versus x86 is RISC/CISC combination), comparing memory bandwidth forgetting that bandwidth is shared by cores (more cores, more bandwidth needed to the same performance) and video memory being shared on some systems and not on others (fast video processors have significant impact on CPU memory access when video memory and main memory are shared)... this only leads to nonsense results.
It really seems that PS4 and XBone are, in raw power, faster and more capable than Wii U but saying they are 4 times to 8 times faster is just nonsense. The same applies when saying Wii U video processor is as slow as last gen video processors because it runs at the same clock. What the hell... my i7 runs at a lower clock speed than most older P4 processors but it is a lot faster! And I mean... a lot!

I am *not* saying Wii U is on par with anything. I am just saying the (unofficial) numbers just means nothing. And Microsoft has proven again and again, on PC, that bad programming may lead you to think that a XT was faster than a P4 (Vista x Win7 anyone?). "There is no raw power that will ever overcome a bad algorithm". Also, sometimes the best algorithm in one architecture performs very bad on another architecture and vice-versa.

Even the similarities between XBOne and PS4 can lead to wrong conclusions, since there are differences in the way both manage video memory / main memory; the best result on a game will depend on how programmers can use the best what is available on each platform (and avoid the pitfalls, of course!)

This discussion leads nowhere guys. Just buy the console that has the most games you want to play. If you have the money and time to play they all, then hell... buy them all.
#6icarus231Posted 1/23/2014 6:55:55 AM
djcaetano posted...
Comparing clock speed of different processors (PPC is pure RISC versus x86 is RISC/CISC combination), comparing memory bandwidth forgetting that bandwidth is shared by cores (more cores, more bandwidth needed to the same performance) and video memory being shared on some systems and not on others (fast video processors have significant impact on CPU memory access when video memory and main memory are shared)... this only leads to nonsense results.
It really seems that PS4 and XBone are, in raw power, faster and more capable than Wii U but saying they are 4 times to 8 times faster is just nonsense. The same applies when saying Wii U video processor is as slow as last gen video processors because it runs at the same clock. What the hell... my i7 runs at a lower clock speed than most older P4 processors but it is a lot faster! And I mean... a lot!

I am *not* saying Wii U is on par with anything. I am just saying the (unofficial) numbers just means nothing. And Microsoft has proven again and again, on PC, that bad programming may lead you to think that a XT was faster than a P4 (Vista x Win7 anyone?). "There is no raw power that will ever overcome a bad algorithm". Also, sometimes the best algorithm in one architecture performs very bad on another architecture and vice-versa.

Even the similarities between XBOne and PS4 can lead to wrong conclusions, since there are differences in the way both manage video memory / main memory; the best result on a game will depend on how programmers can use the best what is available on each platform (and avoid the pitfalls, of course!)

This discussion leads nowhere guys. Just buy the console that has the most games you want to play. If you have the money and time to play they all, then hell... buy them all.

Well said now wait for the trolls
---
NNID: Icarus231
PSN: Icarus_231
#7AyobroPosted 1/23/2014 7:02:06 AM
I like your blog sanmus vaitu

you should get a group of people together and advertise
#8deathwave21Posted 1/23/2014 7:04:45 AM
So basically if it gets games it wil be ok for the next 2 years?
---
Do you want to go to college for free? Go Marines!
#9sanas_thiritu(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2014 7:56:19 AM
deathwave21 posted...
So basically if it gets games it wil be ok for the next 2 years?

Easily. Longer as well.
---
#10sanas_thiritu(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2014 10:13:57 AM
Bump
---