Nintendo can't please everybody

#1iKhan88Posted 1/23/2014 10:14:27 PM
I was thinking about this in my 3rd parties topic, but I think it deserves it's own topic.

I don't believe it's possible for Nintendo to capture more adult-oriented 3rd party titles, while simultaneously remaining kid friendly and having widespread casual appeal.

The limiting factor that arises is cost. In order for Nintendo to make a powerful system, it needs to cost in the neighborhood for $350-450. But if Nintendo is also going to include an innovative control scheme, they need to pull some other features. Additionally, part of what helped the Wii sell so well was it's low asking price, so even more features must be pulled to reach that wider appeal.

So there is a large degree of give-and-take with Nintendo's systems. We just need to ask what combination we prefer. Personally, I'd prefer a $350 dollar console that is weaker but competitive with the competition and includes a cheap and unique control scheme like the Wii remote. From a business perspective, I think it makes sense for Nintendo to alternate.
---
"That does not excuse the things we have done. It is merely a motive, not a justification" --Kratos Aurion
#2CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 1/23/2014 10:16:10 PM
Pleasing everybody, no.

Pleasing two demographics at once? Of course they can.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#3Mike_OxfirmPosted 1/23/2014 10:18:49 PM
Nintendo need to drop the gimmicks. Give the gamers a proper f*****g pad and a console that can graphically compete with the competition.

Nintendo first party games + healthy third party support = unstoppable powerhouse.
#4StickMen1090Posted 1/23/2014 10:20:15 PM
Mike_Oxfirm posted...
Nintendo need to drop the gimmicks. Give the gamers a proper f*****g pad and a console that can graphically compete with the competition.

Nintendo first party games + healthy third party support = unstoppable powerhouse.

what will make people buy 3rd party games on Nintendo consoles anyways? if they make a console that is like the other 2 we are stuck with 3 Identical games
---
3DS FC: 2063-0061-2915
``if the system is easy to develop for then that just confirms how weak it is" shaunme - 2014
#5FayeLadyPosted 1/23/2014 10:24:21 PM
It might be impossible for them, but they could certainly try much harder. I'd say Disney manages just fine. In gaming it seems Sony, Ubisoft and even Activison walk the line of making/publishing games for children while also making/publishing games for adults. No one refuses to play Uncharted thinking it will be like Little Big Planet, but Nintendo has gotten itself typecast in this way.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#6Baha05Posted 1/23/2014 10:25:19 PM
Mike_Oxfirm posted...

People need to stop making gimmicks to be a negative part of Nintendo. The fact is console/handheld gaming IS a gimmick based on devices that have GIMMICKS.

Games have gimmicks too, they have since the first generation of consoles.
---
"Zelda is THE original RPG." Error1355 (Moderator)
#7Mike_OxfirmPosted 1/23/2014 10:28:06 PM
StickMen1090 posted...
Mike_Oxfirm posted...

what will make people buy 3rd party games on Nintendo consoles anyways? if they make a console that is like the other 2 we are stuck with 3 Identical games

That's the thing, it won't be identical. Yes it'll have the "dude-bro" games (which is a good thing because it'll satisfy the huge market for them, which in turn will shift units) but it'll also have Nintendo's legendary first party games. I honestly think it's a winning combination.
#8iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2014 10:33:26 PM
FayeLady posted...
It might be impossible for them, but they could certainly try much harder. I'd say Disney manages just fine. In gaming it seems Sony, Ubisoft and even Activison walk the line of making/publishing games for children while also making/publishing games for adults. No one refuses to play Uncharted thinking it will be like Little Big Planet, but Nintendo has gotten itself typecast in this way.

Well the thing is that Sony doesn't have the the "family friendly" plastered all over it's name, and as a result, you don't see as many exclusive kids games. You still see some, but Nintendo pretty has that area locked up. The problem is getting similarly strong appeal in other areas. I think the Wii cemented Nintendo's name with casuals, but because Nintendo no longer controls the market as they did with the NES and SNES, that tends to result in disincentivizing 3rd parties.
---
"That does not excuse the things we have done. It is merely a motive, not a justification" --Kratos Aurion
#9iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2014 10:40:45 PM
Mike_Oxfirm posted...
StickMen1090 posted...
Mike_Oxfirm posted...

That's the thing, it won't be identical. Yes it'll have the "dude-bro" games (which is a good thing because it'll satisfy the huge market for them, which in turn will shift units) but it'll also have Nintendo's legendary first party games. I honestly think it's a winning combination.

So it will be identical hardware with different games. Tell me, what is the point of that system even existing then. If the game would be the same on all three systems, why can't there be just one system?

Game hardware NEEDS to have unique features. In the past, it was in the controllers and varying quality in different areas. Recently, the distinction between PS and XB has dwindled, but contrary to what I used to think, I think the touchpad, PSNow, and stronger hardware of the PS4 are enough to distinguish it from the Kinect and heavy emphasis on home media the XB1 has.

I think Nintendo should stick with unique control inputs, because honestly, we've reached a period of controller stagnation.
---
#10SychinLegacyPosted 1/23/2014 10:47:42 PM
Mike_Oxfirm posted...

I'm gonna blow your simple mind. Ps4's "powerhouse" graphics are a gimmick. Bam. Now that your eyes have been opened I expect no more blind sheep old narrative posts out of you.