Nintendo can't please everybody

#31FayeLadyPosted 1/24/2014 7:09:39 AM
ZeroArchery posted...
FayeLady posted...
This. Its the current standard for content. Game or otherwise.
Somethng like 3D is a gimmick, because the exception is when it is used, not when it isn't.

A controller is the current standard for playing games. Television Remote is a controller, the Wii Remote is a controller. Gamecube controller, SNES, NES, etc. It's a gimmick used to play video games.

It baffles me that the definition of "gimmick" is so butchered these days that people legitimately think this.

A gimmick is a unique feature designed to help make something stand out. Its in contrast to an agreed upon standard like 1080p.

While in general, a controller is the standard for playing games, there is nothing stopping one from making a controller that possesses a gimmick any more than there is something stopping one from making a display that possesses a gimmick, like 3d.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#32ZeroArcheryPosted 1/24/2014 7:14:19 AM
FayeLady posted...
A gimmick is a unique feature designed to help make something stand out. Its in contrast to an agreed upon standard like 1080p.

While in general, a controller is the standard for playing games, there is nothing stopping one from making a controller that possesses a gimmick any more than there is something stopping one from making a display that possesses a gimmick, like 3d.

If that was the case, then the Wii not having 1080p would be considered a gimmick then? But it was the most selling and widespread console, so that couldn't be it. If it was standard, but many games didn't possess it, is it standard?

game freakozoid posted...
/facepalm

Please. Go do some research and some work with logic before coming back.

Good rebuttal. Clear point, lots of research, obvious understanding of the topic. Good post.

DeathSoul2000 posted...
Controllers are not gimmicks because you cannot play a game without a controller.

I can see that this will go in circles unless I Google it for you guys...

From the Free Dictionary:
gim·mick (gmk)
n.
a. A device employed to cheat, deceive, or trick, especially a mechanism for the secret and dishonest control of gambling apparatus.
b. An innovative or unusual mechanical contrivance; a gadget.

From Websters:
1gim·mick
noun \ˈgi-mik\

: a method or trick that is used to get people's attention or to sell something

Controllers for each of the systems fit that to a T.
---
Official President of the NST
'But Neku, I thought you couldn't afford to lose? Give up on yourself, and you give up on the world.' - Joshua
#33game freakozoidPosted 1/24/2014 7:19:24 AM

Good rebuttal. Clear point, lots of research, obvious understanding of the topic. Good post.

Wasn't something you even said to me, therefore not a rebuttle. Don't know why you would have thought it was one. It was just some simple advice for you as you are obviously confused.

innovative or unusual mechanical

You bolded it, so I don't see how you missed it. How is having a controller innovative or unusual seeing as how its been a standard since Video Games have started?

You bolded the wrong part there. It seems like your problem is when you are looking at a definition you are just looking at half the words in the definition instead of the entire definition. Maybe that's why you are so confused?
#34FayeLadyPosted 1/24/2014 7:21:20 AM
ZeroArchery posted...
FayeLady posted...

If that was the case, then the Wii not having 1080p would be considered a gimmick then? But it was the most selling and widespread console, so that couldn't be it. If it was standard, but many games didn't possess it, is it standard?

/facepalm

Please. Go do some research and some work with logic before coming back.

DeathSoul2000 posted...
Controllers are not gimmicks because you cannot play a game without a controller.

I can see that this will go in circles unless I Google it for you guys...

From the Free Dictionary:
gim·mick (gmk)
n.
a. A device employed to cheat, deceive, or trick, especially a mechanism for the secret and dishonest control of gambling apparatus.
b. An innovative or unusual mechanical contrivance; a gadget.

From Websters:
1gim·mick
noun \ˈgi-mik\

Controllers for each of the systems fit that to a T.

I'd argue that 1080p wasn't a standard feature in 2006, because that wasn't what the average tv being sold supported. Now that the average tv does run 1080p, its pretty much the definition of a standard feature.

I don't see how your definition of gimmick is in disagreement with mine. Unless you are trying to argue that the Dualshock 4 is a gimmick as well, but I don't think anyone said that it was not. Only that controllers as a concept are not.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#35ZeroArcheryPosted 1/24/2014 7:30:41 AM
FayeLady posted...
Unless you are trying to argue that the Dualshock 4 is a gimmick as well, but I don't think anyone said that it was not. Only that controllers as a concept are not.

That might actually be where the disconnect is.
---
'But Neku, I thought you couldn't afford to lose? Give up on yourself, and you give up on the world.' - Joshua
#36game freakozoidPosted 1/24/2014 7:32:23 AM
It's hard to really call 1080p at all a gimmick as there isn't really a device or anything associated with just that. 1080p capability comes as a byproduct of advancing technology and isn't something they built just for that. It isn't like there is a 1080p only device, a 900p device, a 720p device, and a 480 device all in there. It is just what the technology of the console is capable of.

This is in direct contrast to things like the Wii U gamepad, 3D (which either requires its own device built in, or the software to be programmed in), the touchpad/lightbar for PS4, the Kinect add on to the Xbox One etc.
#37FayeLadyPosted 1/24/2014 7:36:24 AM
ZeroArchery posted...
FayeLady posted...
Unless you are trying to argue that the Dualshock 4 is a gimmick as well, but I don't think anyone said that it was not. Only that controllers as a concept are not.

I don't follow your logic then. If controllers are gimmicks, and they are a sub set of HID, then do you suggest all human interface devices are?
---
#38ZeroArcheryPosted 1/24/2014 7:41:55 AM
FayeLady posted...
ZeroArchery posted...
FayeLady posted...

I don't follow your logic then. If controllers are gimmicks, and they are a sub set of HID, then do you suggest all human interface devices are?

Everything has it's purpose, which is their gimmick. My pencil's gimmick can be anything I use it for. Writing something, drawing, the abilitiy to put something on paper, walls, whatever and erase it. That's its gimmick. That's why I said that the disconnect is that I thought we were talking about controllers themselves, the Dualshock 4, Xbone Controller, Gamepad, etc. While you were talking about the "concept" of a controller, I'm assuming.

I've never really seen arguments over what "counts" as a gimmick until last generation.

A great poster once made a post on the 3DS Board along the lines of "Gimmick: Something I don't like."
---
#39game freakozoidPosted 1/24/2014 7:43:17 AM
ZeroArchery posted...
FayeLady posted...
ZeroArchery posted...
FayeLady posted...

Everything has it's purpose, which is their gimmick. My pencil's gimmick can be anything I use it for. Writing something, drawing, the abilitiy to put something on paper, walls, whatever and erase it. That's its gimmick. That's why I said that the disconnect is that I thought we were talking about controllers themselves, the Dualshock 4, Xbone Controller, Gamepad, etc. While you were talking about the "concept" of a controller, I'm assuming.

I've never really seen arguments over what "counts" as a gimmick until last generation.

A great poster once made a post on the 3DS Board along the lines of "Gimmick: Something I don't like."

I don't think you know really what the word gimmick means judging by your pencil example.
#40ZeroArcheryPosted 1/24/2014 7:54:10 AM
I don't think you know really what the word gimmick means judging by your pencil example.

You ever heard the saying "What's its gimmick?" from back in the day?

But I mean, I posted official definitions, gave examples, and even stretched the concept a bit with the pencil one. But if none of those are good enough for what your personal idea of a gimmick, then I can't compete. XD
---